The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

On 6/22/2021 at 8:33 AM, Canal archive said:

So where is this?

image.thumb.jpeg.ffdb0a7bd582e7b71bb23878e479c23c.jpeg

I am probably way out of wack but looking at the enlarged version it looks like there are some dikes (or something similar) in the background with an opening where a ship could pass through to the open sea. Could it be that this picture was taken from the ferry sailing out of Le Havre to Portsmouth?

Theo 

On 6/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, CPT Trips said:

Perhaps the Garonne, down river from Bordeaux.

On 6/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Canal archive said:

CPT Trips your incorrect but your on the right track. CA

With the answer suggestion from CPT Trips and your response to it I assumed that it was in France, silly me to assume things. Back to finding the right track, outside France this time 🤔.

Theo

The tiles are Delft, but I don't think that this is the Royal Delft museum and factory in Delft. It looks more like a winery with a wine tasting room, and I'm guessing that it might be in France, but I'm not sure.

It is not in France - it is a rather tricky photo.

Hint: this is a landmark bakery/restaurant/dairy founded in the late 1800s - the tiles are hand-painted Villeroy & Boch.

I had to carefully crop the second photo as there are many online pictures of this venue - it is quite spectacular.

If no one guesses by tomorrow morning, I will post a photo that will be a dead giveaway. 😁

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Well done @Renmar.  Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s actually listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the most beautiful dairy/milk shop in the world. Definitely worth a visit if you are in Dresden. You’re up.

There are so many places my DW and I want to visit and by the looks of this would be one of them. So far we just dream on and wait for things to open up in Europe. The middle of 2022 looks like the best time to start traveling again.

Anyway, here is the next picture I took in my place of birth the last time we were there. As so many other pictures posted here I had to crop a bit to make it not too obvious. Needless to say it is the Netherlands and therefore you have to give the exact location and name.

Theo

p.s. Try not to use Google search 😉

Untitled13.jpg.d6fa66a2239e7758f6a5eb33caa2de64.jpg

Edited by Renmar

10 hours ago, Renmar said:

Try not to use Google search 😉

Ha ha- there is absolutely no way that I would have found this without Google. 😁 Personally, I have never been to this venue nor have I visited the city in which it is found. After reading the venue's description, I suspect that the casual English speaking North American tourist would not have visited this venue - it is most likely more appropriate for Dutch citizens, those that have an interest in this venue's particular specialty, or those who speak the language, such as yourself. TripAdvisor lists the venue as one of the top 5 sites to visit in this city. The building's exterior certainly makes it stand out so if I had seen it, I think I would have remembered it.

Since I utilized Google, I will refrain from naming the venue. 😉

Edited by dogs4fun

20 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Some fancy art installation with changing tiles on a modern concert hall in Rotterdam? Wild guess.

notamermaid

As you know you have the right country 🙂, wrong city. Actually this town does not have city rights as far as I know. You mentioned "concert hall", which it is not, sound has something to do with it though.

Theo

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

Actually this town does not have city rights as far as I know. 

Wikipedia (and other online sites) lists it as a city and municipality in the province of North Holland.

I don’t understand what is meant by “city rights” regarding the town in question. Even though I researched city rights in the Low Countries, I still don’t understand city rights in regards to this town. When your photo is identified, could you please explain? I really would like to understand.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Wikipedia (and other online sites) lists it as a city and municipality in the province of North Holland.

I don’t understand what is meant by “city rights” regarding the town in question. Even though I researched city rights in the Low Countries, I still don’t understand city rights in regards to this town. When your photo is identified, could you please explain? I really would like to understand.

You don't have to wait until the photo is identified. It's a long story but here is the short version of it. You can find more here;

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_Nederlandse_plaatsen_met_stadsrechten

Theo

From the Middle Ages, various places in the present Netherlands were given city rights. These were granted by the landlords. This could, for example, concern counts, dukes and bishops. The new cities were given special rights and privileges in exchange for loyalty to the ruler. This could concern, for example, the right to self-government or its own administration of justice, but also, for example, the right to build a city wall or to organize weekly or annual markets. Many cities were also given the right to mint their own currency or levy tolls.

None of this was "free". For example, in exchange for the rights granted, merchants had to pay taxes to the landlord. City rights granted were recorded in a document. The first Dutch city to receive city rights was "Stavoren" in 1061. And the last time city rights were granted was in 1586 to "Willemstad" in North Brabant. Rights were important to cities. These partly enabled them to grow into trading centers or military outposts, for example. City gates were often the symbol of the new cities, in addition, the new city arms were proudly depicted in various places in the city and, for example, on documents and flags.