The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Thanks @dogs4fun I do not really think I am that good. For this quiz I need to give some credit to a certain search engine of the internet 😉. But I mentioned a while ago to Coral that I did art history at school and the interest has increased since then. I am an underground person - I love taking the underground, going through tunnels and looking at stones and soil. Ask the workmen down the road laying the new sewage pipes, I am a regular visitor to the roadworks... At Melk Abbey, the trompe l'oeuil ceiling was amazing, but I looked down and took a photo of the grille of the underfloor heating.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong word
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Just an interesting photo for those that look down as often as up. Not a river cruise so not part of the game . . . I assume all the regulars know the location.

D8998DFB-2380-4FE2-8CB2-29B7891DEF60.jpeg

A fascinating perspective and photo!  I hope one of the lurkers will jump in and officially identify it.

@CPT Trips Thank you, an amazing shot of a towering structure (with city) that looks so small from the air. Liking shapes, I was immediately drawn to the iconic spires of the church. I have stood in front of it and have even given a lecture. Not easy to talk over the traffic.

notamermaid

Just a note to add - should it be overlooked - it is not the photo to be identified but do so for in-between fun. For double fun say where this is and pick up the wild card offered by dogs4fun.

Edited by notamermaid

23 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

What's the estimated completion date?

Prior to the pandemic, the estimated completion date was in 2026. Due to the pandemic, construction was halted for most of 2020 - I too wonder when it will be completed.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Just an interesting photo for those that look down as often as up. Not a river cruise so not part of the game . . . I assume all the regulars know the location.

Did you take this photo while on your flight in/out of the city?

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Did you take this photo while on your flight in/out of the city?

Sadly no. I found it online and added it to my album. But thanks for thinking I’m that creative.

Heck, it wasn’t until 2019 that there was a building permit.

18 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

That’s beautiful Spain for you. I’m not to sure whether Gaudi completed any of his wonderful structures but all are superb. CA

He completed lots of buildings, none of course as grandiose as Sagrada Familia. There are a number of them in Barcelona itself, as well as other places in Spain. I saw my first one in Cantabria (El Capricho) on a cycling trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaudí_buildings

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I’m not to sure whether Gaudi completed any of his wonderful structures but all are superb.

30 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

He completed lots of buildings, none of course as grandiose as Sagrada Familia. There are a number of them in Barcelona itself.

Absolutely! Chris and I went to a few of them during our Christmas jaunt to Barcelona in 2015. He was certainly a creative architect! 

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Absolutely! Chris and I went to a few of them during our Christmas jaunt to Barcelona in 2015. He was certainly a creative architect! 

And well named with the English pronunciation. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

@notamermaid, it's more quiet in the park next door. 

I had to look up the park on the map, I do not recall going there. I am sure it is very pleasant. We went over to Parc Güell for the second half of my lecture. It is an amazing place with Gaudís broken tile's style.

Canal archive's photo: I do not want to guess much but just throw in that it does not look like a canal and I get the impression it is too wide for a meandering river course. I am thinking of a more maritime river environment.

notamermaid

Dan Brown's 2017 novel Origin takes place in Spain.  Gaudi's various designs play a central role in the plot.  While reading the book I would have to stop and go to Wikipedia to read about the Gaudi building where the action was taking place.

• Like 1