Trip Insurance--Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Roxydog15

Hi there.  I mentioned this topic within another thread but thought maybe it deserved it's own.  Was wondering what your opinions are about trip insurance, especially independently purchased.  Has anyone ever had to actually make a claim?  With all this trip shuffling lately, we are also dragging around insurance policies (and dollars), or at least will have a voucher to use on something not booked yet.  Your input is appreciated, as always.

oh, let me add, that would never hold anyone responsible for advice given.  Just been wondering if I should keep investing.  Or at least just switch to cruiseline policies.  At least those are not paid for until final payment time.

Make sure if you purchase trip insurance and optional supplemental medical that you look closely at the new language added to some company's policies on COVID and pandemics.  Does the policy cover testing?  Delay if stuck at a port or on ship? Transportation home? etc.  

We have  ALWAYS purchased  cruiseline ins, and a  supp policy  for med  evac and extra medical. Has come in very handy twice or more ? over the years .  Medicare and our supp ins does not cover out of US situations...that's something many do not know.

Not sure what ins coverage would be now in Covid times.. best to check sev companies and the ins thread here on CC

Our supplement does cover up to $50K in medical when out of the country and our travel insurance also provides $50K coverage.   
COVID or not we wouldn’t travel out of the country without travel insurance and evacuation insurance that allows us to be moved to a hospital of our choice. 
Heart attacks, accidents, falls have happened to more than 1 passenger on every cruise we have been on.

• Like 1

We wouldn't dream of travelling without adequate insurance- cancellation,  interruption, medical and evacuation. Because we travel (usually) several times a year, we have an annual policy. Last month it updated its coverage to include COVID.

We purchase an annual comprehensive plan (covers cancellation, interruption, baggage loss/delay) that covers us for as many trips as we want out of country for up to 14 days. We will continue to do so once travel resumes and if Covid coverage isn't included, that can be purchased as an add-on rider (granted, I'm not satisfied that what they're currently offering is enough coverage, but that's another story). Back in 2018 we did have to cancel a fully paid cruise when I injured my knee and was advised not to travel by my doctor. I downloaded the appropriate forms from the insurer's website, entered my info, faxed them to my doctor to fill in his part, then emailed them to the company along with the email from the cruise line showing what we were getting back (taxes & port fees) and what we were out. We had a cheque fully reimbursing our trip within 30 days. It couldn't have been easier and made an unfortunate situation a little better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mom says said:

We wouldn't dream of travelling without adequate insurance- cancellation,  interruption, medical and evacuation. Because we travel (usually) several times a year, we have an annual policy. Last month it updated its coverage to include COVID.

Ditto. When we were younger, we didn't bother as the financial risk was small and we essentially self-insured. Over the years, that turned out to be a sound decision. When I retired, we started to travel more and, given our ages, thought it wise to start getting coverage. That too was a sound decision. Like yours, ours (Medoc) now covers COVID.

OP, to answer one of your questions, yes, we've had to make claims. The most recent was last year, when we were reimbursed over $11,000 for medical and related costs.  

Depending on the cost- benefit analysis, we would recommend travel insurance from an independent insurance company (not the cruise line that could go bankrupt). What I mean is the cost of your trip is not too expensive, you have no air or just using miles and depending on health & age, I would buy a policy. Yes, we did file and recover for an illness in Israel. 

I always purchase travel insurance.  The first time I used it was due to a stress fracture on my foot.  Got all my money back save for the cost of insurance.

The second time, I fell and broke my arm and shattered my elbow 2 months before we were to cruise.  Thankfully again, all my money was returned.  Both claims very easy - just a matter of having the doctor's office fill out some paperwork.

Even if you are young, accidents can happen.  Also, if there is an unexpected death in your family, that cancellation is also covered.

Always, use travel insurance.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Ditto. When we were younger, we didn't bother as the financial risk was small and we essentially self-insured. Over the years, that turned out to be a sound decision. When I retired, we started to travel more and, given our ages, thought it wise to start getting coverage. That too was a sound decision. Like yours, ours (Medoc) now covers COVID.

OP, to answer one of your questions, yes, we've had to make claims. The most recent was last year, when we were reimbursed over $11,000 for medical and related costs.  

I was going to compare Medoc to our coverage but Medoc is not selling new policies at this time.

I hope Alliance has updated their coverage since March!   That link is almost 8 months old.    Does anyone know if they raise your yearly premiums if you have claims such as broken bones, or heart issues?    I hope it’s not like auto insurance in the U.S. as they raise the price of your policy if you have had claims sometimes even refusing coverage.

Yes, I always buy travel insurance and yes, had to use it in March 2019. 

I had just checked into the FLL hotel in anticipation of boarding the Equinox the next morning. I received a phone call from my sister-in-law that my younger brother has been rushed to the hospital and brain surgery was required. I couldn't use my return flight ticket for the next day because all flights were filled. So I had to pay out the nose for a one way ticket on another airline for the following morning. My brother did not survive.

When I called the travel insurance company they were very sympathetic. Needed paperwork was sent to me and copy of death certificate was required. I received a complete refund and letter of sympathy within 11 days of them receiving my claim.

Unfortunately, one never knows what might happen in life which is why I've paid for travel insurance on all my past 39 cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Make sure if you purchase trip insurance and optional supplemental medical that you look closely at the new language added to some company's policies on COVID and pandemics.  Does the policy cover testing?  Delay if stuck at a port or on ship? Transportation home? etc.  

We always combine a land trip with our cruise and don't usually do the Caribbean.    I always buy trip insurance from AmEx, including health coverage and medical evacuation.

From what I have read some weeks ago, trip insurance doesn't seem to cover COVID if you are stuck in a port or can't fly home.  If someone know otherwise, please enlighten me.

We hope that if vaccines become available next year, that COVID would be less of a risk for travel.   We have a TA cruise booked from Rome to Tampa for Oct 2021.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and guidance.  Looks like I'll keep getting the insurance.  And for new purchases, i'll be sure to check for Covid coverage.  FYI, CC has moved this post to the Cruise/Travel Insurance Board.

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I hope Alliance has updated their coverage since March!   That link is almost 8 months old.    Does anyone know if they raise your yearly premiums if you have claims such as broken bones, or heart issues?    I hope it’s not like auto insurance in the U.S. as they raise the price of your policy if you have had claims sometimes even refusing coverage.

I just got a email from Allianz that restated the March info so that Covid coverage is still in effect.  
  Their annual policies are a $ amount of coverage and the price for the same amount of coverage has stayed consistent over the 5-6 years we have used them.  We buy coverage for both of us separately.  We have only had 1 small claim  but have gotten older and the premium didn’t change when we changed age brackets that cause many to increase the cost.

I just took a look at the current Allianz plan details and item #15 under General Exclusions says "an epidemic."  Looking at the policy "Definitions" the word "epidemic" is defined as follows

A contagious disease that spreads rapidly and widely among the population in an area and which is recognized as an epidemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Based on this language the policy would not cover COVID related medical expenses.  If Allianz has waived this provision it does not show in the actual policy language.   I did find other Allianz statements (not in the actual policy) that they will cover COVID related items for "plans currently in effect."

What does this mean?  My reading is that if you have renewed an Allianz policy after March 16 you may not be covered for COVID....unless you have something in writing from Allianz.  All this becomes even more interesting when you consider that insurance companies are subject to 50 different sets of rules (in the USA) since each State controls policies sold in their State.  Buying insurance in the USA is somewhat of a minefield (which is why we often refer folks to Steve Dasseos or other expert brokers) and this COVID thing has and trying to insure against COVID can be tricky.

I mention this because DW and I normally purchase an annual travel medical policy from GeoBlue that provides $250,000 or medical coverage ($100,000 if 70+) on the first 70 days of any trip.  But Geoblue does not specifically cover COVID with their annual policy (this was the case the last time I looked a few days ago).  So to me, that annual policy is no longer a solution for frequent travelers.  GeoBlue does specifically provide COVID coverage in some of their single trip plans (i.e Voyager).  Another company that seems to cover COVID is Atlas Travel Insurance (one should carefully read the current policy language before booking any policy).  

We have long urged travelers to be very careful with medical coverage.  Keep in mind that while trip interruption or cancellation will generally leave you not much worse off then if you had taken or completed the trip, a medical emergency can easily leave just about anyone bankrupt.  There is no limit on the cost of medical care and many so-called travel policies limit medical coverage to very low limits (i.e. $10,000 or $25,000).  We know of one COVID case in Mexico where the total hospital bills were in excess of $150,000!  Bottom line is that if you are one of the rare folks who needs to be hospitalized with COVID and ultimately needs to be put on a ventilator, the inpatient hospital costs can quickly add up to 6 figures.

Hank

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I just took a look at the current Allianz plan details and item #15 under General Exclusions says "an epidemic."  Looking at the policy "Definitions" the word "epidemic" is defined as follows

A contagious disease that spreads rapidly and widely among the population in an area and which is recognized as an epidemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Based on this language the policy would not cover COVID related medical expenses.  If Allianz has waived this provision it does not show in the actual policy language.   I did find other Allianz statements (not in the actual policy) that they will cover COVID related items for "plans currently in effect."

What does this mean?  My reading is that if you have renewed an Allianz policy after March 16 you may not be covered for COVID....unless you have something in writing from Allianz.  All this becomes even more interesting when you consider that insurance companies are subject to 50 different sets of rules (in the USA) since each State controls policies sold in their State.  Buying insurance in the USA is somewhat of a minefield (which is why we often refer folks to Steve Dasseos or other expert brokers) and this COVID thing has and trying to insure against COVID can be tricky.

Hank

We did renew our policy and we each received written confirmation that we do have coverage for  COVID  exactly as shown on their websites’s Coverage Alert. 

To your point that buying insurance can be a minefield, we looked into GeoBlue previously however they do not sell policies in Texas and the rental  car coverage in the Allianz policy does not apply in Texas.  
So between a travel insurance policy, Medjet and coverage provided by our credit card we are in reasonably good shape.

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I mention this because DW and I normally purchase an annual travel medical policy from GeoBlue that provides $250,000 or medical coverage ($100,000 if 70+) on the first 70 days of any trip.  But Geoblue does not specifically cover COVID with their annual policy (this was the case the last time I looked a few days ago).  So to me, that annual policy is no longer a solution for frequent travelers.  GeoBlue does specifically provide COVID coverage in some of their single trip plans (i.e Voyager).  Another company that seems to cover COVID is Atlas Travel Insurance (one should carefully read the current policy language before booking any policy).  

Hank

Hank this is unfortunate as we have purchased the annual Trekker Choice policy for many years.  It was a very good value and GeoBlue has a worldwide network of recommended hospitals, clinics and doctors.  Hopefully they will be studying COVID and pandemic diseases and revise and update their policies if other companies out-compete them.

• Like 1