Bahamas new criteria for opening up to visitors

Do you think these rules apply to the private islands as well?

effective 1 November 2020, The Bahamas will require all travelers to:
1. Obtain a COVID-19 RT PCR test five (5) days prior to arrival.
2. Apply for a Bahamas Health Travel Visa at travel.gov.bs
3. For the duration of the visit, complete a daily online health questionnaire for symptom tracking purposes.
4. Take a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test on Day 5 of the visit (unless departing on day 5).
5. Always wear a mask and always social distance in public places.
In addition, beginning 14 November 2020, all visitors will be required to opt-in to mandatory COVID-19 health insurance when applying for their Health Travel Visa. The insurance will cover travellers for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. 

We are going in December to the Bahamas.  Arent the private islands in the Bahamas? I would think that yes, social distancing, masks, and proof of a test.  Im actually looking forward to going.  Better than sitting in my house afraid.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We are going in December to the Bahamas.  Arent the private islands in the Bahamas? I would think that yes, social distancing, masks, and proof of a test.  Im actually looking forward to going.  Better than sitting in my house afraid.

CocoCay is in the Bahamas, Labadee is part of Haiti.

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Don’t be too sure. My son went to St Thomas in August. 2 days after he arrived the island went into lockdown. No restaurants or bars open only take out and liquor stores open. It was like being in NY in March. They even closed the beaches. He booked an Airbnb with a private beach so at least they had that for 2 weeks. It sounds like they expect a lot in the Bahamas. 

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Seems like the cruiselines went into radio silence mode since the cdc set all those guidelines, like if you ship is outside us waters you have to file 28 days in advance to re enter, and do all those mock cruises and get labs set up and hire crew back ... are ships moving yet? Waiting to see cruiselines respond a little more. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Seems like the cruiselines went into radio silence mode since the cdc set all those guidelines, like if your ship is outside us waters you have to file 28 days in advance to re enter, and do all those mock cruises and get labs set up and hire crew back ... are ships moving yet? Waiting to see cruiselines respond a little more. 

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don’t be too sure. My son went to St Thomas in August. 2 days after he arrived the island went into lockdown. No restaurants or bars open only take out and liquor stores open. It was like being in NY in March. They even closed the beaches. He booked an Airbnb with a private beach so at least they had that for 2 weeks. It sounds like they expect a lot in the Bahamas. 

We are going to Eleuthera and staying in an AirBnb that's pretty isolated.  We are buying local food and cooking ourselves. Its pretty rustic compared to nassau or an AI but its what we wanted.  We know when to get tested and where. Self quarantining before test as much as we can.  Will not be tested when we leave Eleuthera because its within the time frame. Have a health form to fill out.  My husband and I dont need the bars and restaurants to have a good vacation. We enjoy the sand and beach and exploring.

When I get back, if anyone is interested, Ill let you know how it was and if it was worth it.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

We are going to Eleuthera and staying in an AirBnb that's pretty isolated.  We are buying local food and cooking ourselves. Its pretty rustic compared to nassau or an AI but its what we wanted.  We know when to get tested and where. Self quarantining before test as much as we can.  Will not be tested when we leave Eleuthera because its within the time frame. Have a health form to fill out.  My husband and I dont need the bars and restaurants to have a good vacation. We enjoy the sand and beach and exploring.

When I get back, if anyone is interested, Ill let you know how it was and if it was worth it.

I think Eleuthera is the private island for Princess. The airbnb is the way to go you have more freedom if the island gets shut down. My son wasn't planning on it but it worked out because they had their private beach and they just bought food and liquor at the store.  

• Like 1

Maybe my original question was confusing, I was asking if we, as a cruise ship passenger will have to comply with the Bahamas travel regulations when going to coco cay? It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through and wonder if they will make exceptions for cruise passengers.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Nothing obvious yet. 

I blamed the lack of the cruiselines showing they were pushing to get started again on the election. Well for all practical purposes election is over, but still nothing from the cruiselines. Barely a trickle anyway. I'd like to see ships moving, more crew being hiring, more signs they plan on cruising soon. 

4 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

Maybe my original question was confusing, I was asking if we, as a cruise ship passenger will have to comply with the Bahamas travel regulations when going to coco cay? It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through and wonder if they will make exceptions for cruise passengers.

I'm pretty sure the cruiselines will have a deal before they go so there arent so many hoops. I've seen something to that effect on some other board anyway. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Photos of beaches please. It has been to long. 

Lol.  Too long for me also!!  I live 40 minutes from the Jersey shore but that is definitely NOT the caribbean!  

I would have loved to be on a cruise ship but will wait.  We had plane tickets for silver airways for St. Croix after our Enchantment cruise in November that we got credit for but we had to use the credit before the end of the year.  Bahamas from Fort Lauderdale seemed like the best bet.  Just have to gamble on no positive test prior which shouldn't be a problem as we are isolating prior as much as we can. Debated on St. Croix but just couldn't get the flights to work with silver and san juan.  Too many hoops to jump through.

Edited by jean87510
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

Maybe my original question was confusing, I was asking if we, as a cruise ship passenger will have to comply with the I travel regulations when going to coco cay? It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through and wonder if they will make exceptions for cruise passengers.

Taking a wild guess here but I assume that they will take the covid test that we PROBABLY have to have prior to cruising especially if its a short 3-4 day cruise.  And will have to fill out required paperwork online I would assume as part of check in.  Again, I have no idea, just guessing.  It really isn't that much if you look at it.  I have found a couple of places near me that will test covid for travel.  I would suggest people find testing places now so that if/when you may need appointments, you can schedule them prior.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Seems like the cruiselines went into radio silence mode since the cdc set all those guidelines, like if you ship is outside us waters you have to file 28 days in advance to re enter, and do all those mock cruises and get labs set up and hire crew back ... are ships moving yet? Waiting to see cruiselines respond a little more. 

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Nothing obvious yet. 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I blamed the lack of the cruiselines showing they were pushing to get started again on the election. Well for all practical purposes election is over, but still nothing from the cruiselines. Barely a trickle anyway. I'd like to see ships moving, more crew being hiring, more signs they plan on cruising soon. 

Well given what is going on right now, they may not be in a big hurry to start moving things as no one knows which administration will be in charge and which direction the administration will lean in. The Trump administration was fighting the CDC to reopen the cruise industry - Biden is an unknown - will he switch back to the CDC recommendations? Who knows..but that maybe why everything is slow in getting moving again - don't want to commit the cost to something that could do a complete 180...

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think Eleuthera is the private island for Princess. The airbnb is the way to go you have more freedom if the island gets shut down. My son wasn't planning on it but it worked out because they had their private beach and they just bought food and liquor at the store.  

I don't know about a location for Princess but I am pretty sure that Eleuthera has a local population of residents.

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I am interested in reading about it. So please post when you get back, perhaps in the islands thread?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know about a location for Princess but I am pretty sure that Eleuthera has a local population of residents.

It’s like all of the cruise lines private islands. They lease or maybe own a section and the natives to that island live and work there. Labadee is Haiti. Eleuthera is Princess Cay.

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It’s like all of the cruise lines private islands. They lease or maybe own a section and the natives to that island live and work there. Labadee is Haiti. Eleuthera is Princess Cay.

It's a mix of private islands and resort areas. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1418

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not all “private islands” are alike. Princess Cay is a private area on the island of Eleuthera, just as Labadee is a private area in Haiti on the island of Hispaniola. Neither of these are private islands in the technical sense, as neither covers an entire island. RCI’s Coco Cay controls the entire island, so is a private island. I’m pretty sure there are no permanent residents on Coco Cay, although there are RCI owned accommodations for workers who stay overnight. 

20 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

Not all “private islands” are alike. Princess Cay is a private area on the island of Eleuthera, just as Labadee is a private area in Haiti on the island of Hispaniola. Neither of these are private islands in the technical sense, as neither covers an entire island. RCI’s Coco Cay controls the entire island, so is a private island. I’m pretty sure there are no permanent residents on Coco Cay, although there are RCI owned accommodations for workers who stay overnight. 

Yes I realize that. That's why I referenced Labadee and omitted Coco Cay.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, rcclmiami said:

If they close the straw market on coco cay, RCI and the ship(s) visiting staff the island. No contact with Bahamian citizens. Makes coco cay very easy to make a “test port”.

And were do all of the other employees on the island come from?

On 11/6/2020 at 8:21 AM, firefly333 said:

I blamed the lack of the cruiselines showing they were pushing to get started again on the election. Well for all practical purposes election is over, but still nothing from the cruiselines. 

It's because as of today, come January 21st, the U.S. will be in a nationwide shutdown/shelter-in-your-basement, which is what the pure science and new COVID task force calls for. That will kill the cruise industry and what's left of the struggling U.S. economy. So, I would expect the cruiselines to slow roll restart based on the aforementioned election and the ramifications of its outcome. 

• Like 1