O life air?

Redtravel

6 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Buy Oceania hotel at embarking port no deviation charge to fly in early.  Buy oceania hotel at disembarking port no deviation charge if staying after cruise.  If you do not use Oceania hotel, and use Olife Air you will pay deviation fee for any flight if you do not take what Oceania assigns you.

If you book an Oceania hotel at the embarkation port, I understand the deviation fee is waived to fly in early.  

Does booking an Oceania hotel at the embarkation port also allow you to also deviate from the Oceania assigned air at disembarkation with out paying a fee?

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

If you book an Oceania hotel at the embarkation port, I understand the deviation fee is waived to fly in early.  

Does booking an Oceania hotel at the embarkation port also allow you to also deviate from the Oceania assigned air at disembarkation with out paying a fee?

Better to ask your TA or Oceania directly 

less confusion  hopefully 😉

Since we’re talking OAir.

One can start work with O Air 270 days prior to cruise date to book air. That roughly nine months, so next August.

Anyone here tried to book O Air for cruises in May or June and had O actually book the flight so to get seat assignments? If so, which cruises?

22 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I agree with Lyn here, ask your Travel agent or Oceania if you're dealing with them. There have been too many confusing posts with lack of clarity on this subject already. I'm thinking there is only one deviation fee, once it's satisfied then you can adjust your front and back air. 

49 minutes ago, ORV said:

I agree with Lyn here, ask your Travel agent or Oceania if you're dealing with them. There have been too many confusing posts with lack of clarity on this subject already. I'm thinking there is only one deviation fee, once it's satisfied then you can adjust your front and back air. 

My next Oceania cruise is not scheduled until January 2022, I had decided not to use the Oceania air option.  (No international air required). But I wanted to make sure that I understand how it works, so that I may evaluate my options now and in the future.  

I was somewhat confused by the various posts, but I understand it better now.  

Thank you to everyone for the input. 

On 12/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, GICNJC said:

Each leg is separate and distinct.   Must use Oceania hotel to forgo deviation fee.  Both is if you purchase their hotel at both ends.

But I was told that there is a single deviation fee per sailing, not per leg. Is that not correct? 

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

But I was told that there is a single deviation fee per sailing, not per leg. Is that not correct? 

True  but  throwing the hotel package into the equation  adds to the confusion here

If/when we use O air  we  book our own hotels   so we can just pay the one time deviation fee

JMO

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

True  but  throwing the hotel package into the equation  adds to the confusion here

If/when we use O air  we  book our own hotels   so we can just pay the one time deviation fee

JMO

Each leg and each person pays the deviation fee.also if you buy their hotel package includes transfers.

25 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Each leg and each person pays the deviation fee.also if you buy their hotel package includes transfers.

If you do not take Oceania  hotel package

The deviation fee is  for both ends of the cruise  $175 PP non refundable  if you are just doing O air

As long as you book extra days pre & post cruise at the same time

You can book extra days pre cruise   OR post cruise  same $175 fee PP

• Like 1

A general Cruise line Air question, as opposed to a specific one.

Do the cruise lines make good money from providing this option, or do they do it for other reasons ?

As cancellations drag on for months yet, plus airline schedule upheavals when travel starts again, will it remain worthwhile for them to handle the Air side of cruising ?

Just wondering.

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Do the cruise lines make good money from providing this option, or do they do it for other reasons ?

As cancellations drag on for months yet, plus airline schedule upheavals when travel starts again, will it remain worthwhile for them to handle the Air side of cruising ?

Just wondering.

Good question.  My humble opinion having O arrange air they are on hook for changes the airlines make until this covid is under control. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Since we’re talking OAir.

One can start work with O Air 270 days prior to cruise date to book air. That roughly nine months, so next August.

Anyone here tried to book O Air for cruises in May or June and had O actually book the flight so to get seat assignments? If so, which cruises?

In late October,  I booked O Air (including the $175 custom air fee and PE upgrade) for the April 30th, 2021 sailing on Marina.  I have seat assignments. 

To be clear, the Deviation Fee, itself,  is a one time non-refundable cost which enables each passenger to change the fly in and fly out dates associated with their cruise.

The per LEG costs which may increase as a result of a Deviation are any upcharges assessed by the Airline when Oceania buys the tickets for those newer (hopefully better) flights. Please note that there are times when the newer flight will NOT be more expensive, so these fees do not always apply.

These Airline upcharges are a part of the Deviation negotiations with Oceania, and must be approved by the Passenger before the non-refundable aspect of the Deviation kicks in.

In short, the Passenger knows exactly what they are buying before they agree to buy it, and nothing is at risk until the Passenger OK's the specific routing (including costs) of the "new" Airline Arrangements.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StanandJim said:

To be clear, the Deviation Fee, itself,  is a one time non-refundable cost which enables each passenger to change the fly in and fly out dates associated with their cruise.

The per LEG costs which may increase as a result of a Deviation are any upcharges assessed by the Airline when Oceania buys the tickets for those newer (hopefully better) flights. Please note that there are times when the newer flight will NOT be more expensive, so these fees do not always apply.

These Airline upcharges are a part of the Deviation negotiations with Oceania, and must be approved by the Passenger before the non-refundable aspect of the Deviation kicks in.

In short, the Passenger knows exactly what they are buying before they agree to buy it, and nothing is at risk until the Passenger OK's the specific routing (including costs) of the "new" Airline Arrangements.

Jim, it is my understanding that the $175 per person deviation fee becomes non-refundable as soon as the cruiser opts to commence air flight negotiations with Oceania rather than after one agrees to the routing. 

Is this correct?

26 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Jim, it is my understanding that the $175 per person deviation fee becomes non-refundable as soon as the cruiser opts to commence air flight negotiations with Oceania rather than after one agrees to the routing. 

Is this correct?

Not Jim but

NO

It only kicks in when you agree on the flights & routing

You can ask for  different  flights  until you are satisfied  with the offering

I usually pick the flights I want get my TA to submit to Oceania  & see if they OK them without an upcharge

If there is any extra charges  I look for other flights  or ask what flights  Oceania  is offering for those routes

Once we agree  then the charge is made 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not Jim but

NO

It only kicks in when you agree on the flights & routing

You can ask for  different  flights  until you are satisfied  with the offering

I usually pick the flights I want get my TA to submit to Oceania  & see if they OK them without an upcharge

If there is any extra charges  I look for other flights  or ask what flights  Oceania  is offering for those routes

Once we agree  then the charge is made 

Thanks, Lyn, that is very useful information to know.  We usually use FF miles for all our overseas travels so I was not sure.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:37 PM, GICNJC said:

Good question.  My humble opinion having O arrange air they are on hook for changes the airlines make until this covid is under control. 

Nope.  The T&C specifically state that they are acting as a booking agent only, and that the contractual relationship is with the airline.  They may choose to take actions on your behalf and to your benefit, but they are not liable in any way for airline changes.  Read your fine print.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Just wondering.

Keep in mind there are many different cruise lines and many different air programs.  HAL, Princess, Seabourn and Cunard all use the same air folks (actually a contractor) and each line enters into contractual arrangements with multiple airlines.  We have found HAL and Princess to have very attractive Premium Economy and Business Class fares on International flights.  Consider that we flew from JFK (New York) to Singapore in lay flat business class for about $1500.  That fare would have normally been over $3000 (one way).  On Princess we got a terrific Air Canada Business Class fare to Copenhagen.  In fact we saved enough on that air (compared to normal fares) to pay for the cruise :).  Although I do not know a lot about "O"'s air what I see is not very attractive.  For Business Class I think that once you add in the deviation fee it will often cost about the same or more then just booking yourself.  I do not understand why this is so but it seems that "O" does not think it is important to provide their customers with great fares.  

As to why the cruise lines handle air, they do quite well with commissions and it helps fill their ships.  But having cruised on 15 lines we always come back to the good deals and convenience of using both HAL and Princess Air.  And those lines do not charge any extra "deviation" fees.  They also offer "flex air" where you do not actually get ticketed (or pay) for the air until 45 days prior to the cruise.  So you can book your air 330 days in advance but have no cash obligation.  If you cancel or change there are no penalties until you are inside that 45 day window.  We had 4 long cruises cancelled in the past 9 months and each had expensive international bus class booked through cruise lines.  When cancelled we simply got all our money back and did not get stuck with vouchers, credits, etc.

Hank

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But having cruised on 15 lines we always come back to the good deals and convenience of using both HAL and Princess Air.  And those lines do not charge any extra "deviation" fees.  They also offer "flex air" where you do not actually get ticketed (or pay) for the air until 45 days prior to the cruise.  So you can book your air 330 days in advance but have no cash obligation.  If you cancel or change there are no penalties until you are inside that 45 day window.  We had 4 long cruises cancelled in the past 9 months and each had expensive international bus class booked through cruise lines.  When cancelled we simply got all our money back and did not get stuck with vouchers, credits, etc.

Hank

But not everyone wants to sail on HAL or Princess just to get  cheaper air 😲

I agree just book your own air for Oceania

• Like 3

I feel that it is appropriate to bad mouth O.  We have had Oceania reps call our home seeking our business and had some good conversations.  But until our recent booking we avoided O because we thought they were overpriced (for the product) and had lots of issues with their air program.  Charging $175 per person is absolutely ridiculous.  Consider that most cruise lines sub out their air programs to other companies (although their own reservations folks can handle routine issues). But we are talking $350 per couple (a majority of bookings are couples) on top of the commissions they get from the airlines.  It is a profit grab...nothing more.  I understand that the long time O fans are used to the fee, accept it, and many seem think it is normal.  It is not normal in the cruise industry!   I have other issues with O (not related to air) such as charging O pricing for their Renaissance vessels which have very ordinary cabin sizes.  So, for example where O might charge about $300 per person/day for 200 sq ft cabin/balcony while HAL might charge $250 per person/day for a 340 Sq Ft Signature Suite.  

I know,,,,I know....not everyone likes HAL and O has better food.   But it is something to consider.  DW and I are not "fans" of any cruise line and sometimes say we are "equal opportunity cruisers."  We have been on many cruise lines from budget to ultra luxury and loved them all :).  But you O fans might consider that we recently (summer of 2019) cruised on Seabourn for about $400 per s passenger day!  That price got us an all inclusive cruise (except for shore excursions) including unlimited decent booze, caviar on demand, fully stocked cabin fridge/bar at no additional cost, no tipping,  and a suite of about 400 sq foot.  What I am saying is that we remain unconvinced that O is a competitive value in the cruise market...but we are giving it a try because many O fans here on CC have convinced us to give it a shot :).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What I am saying is that we remain unconvinced that O is a competitive value in the cruise market...but we are giving it a try because many O fans here on CC have convinced us to give it a shot :).

Hank

With that attitude you are not very likely to be happy on your next O cruise.

Just sayin' 😀

PS HAL & Princess do not charge deviation fees. Are you able to fly in 2 or 3 days before the cruise and how much choice do you have picking your flights (airline, minimal # of connections, long layovers, direct flights when available, etc).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

With that attitude you are not very likely to be happy on your next O cruise.

Just sayin' 😀

PS HAL & Princess do not charge deviation fees. Are you able to fly in 2 or 3 days before the cruise and how much choice do you have picking your flights (airline, minimal # of connections, long layovers, direct flights when available, etc).

Yes, you can fly in early, fly home late, or even fly in out of airports quite a distance from your port.  Both HAL and Princess have a pretty decent online airline booking engine where it is relatively easy to look at lots of different flight options from or to just about any airport.  It is very convenient and no need to sit on the phone with anyone.  Once you do book flights through those cruise lines you can go back into your account (at any time 24/7) check if better options have become available and simply change your flights with a few clicks.  There are no extra fees and the Business Class fares are often "P" fares which are 1/2 to 2/3 of the prices you would find booking on your own.  I have been told that RCI has similar capability but have not cruised or used their air in many years.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, you can fly in early, fly home late, or even fly in out of airports quite a distance from your port.  Both HAL and Princess have a pretty decent online airline booking engine where it is relatively easy to look at lots of different flight options from or to just about any airport.  It is very convenient and no need to sit on the phone with anyone.  Once you do book flights through those cruise lines you can go back into your account (at any time 24/7) check if better options have become available and simply change your flights with a few clicks.  There are no extra fees and the Business Class fares are often "P" fares which are 1/2 to 2/3 of the prices you would find booking on your own.  I have been told that RCI has similar capability but have not cruised or used their air in many years.

Hank

Thank you for that explanation.

It almost sounds too good to be true 🙂

• Like 1