1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The point guy said they had catamaran sailings for snorkeling and rides to local beach.  I am assuming the catamarans were operated by local company as well as the ride to their local beach.  ???

He did say no visit to town and no contact with locals.  

I agree with you, unless they were towing a catamaran, they would have had to come in contact with at least a few locals.

Here is the entire article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/caribbean-cruise-covid-scare-seadream/

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah, and sadly the "best case scenario" now includes being locked in their rooms, cruise is over, waiting to see how they're dealt with in Barbados.  Anyone who gets on a ship in the next few months should be prepared for this potential "vacation".

I have read posts where some were packing a quarantine bag full of activities and snacks. At least they have accepted the possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

CNBC just ran video including interview with passenger.  Downbeat tone on how despite being tested twice prior to boarding passengers still getting sick.  Mocking conclusion - stay away, cruising not safe.  Just the kind of bad publicity cruise lines don't need.  

Was the passenger downbeat or the reporter. I understand the reporter being downbeat for drama but if it was the passenger I want to smack him down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just the kind of bad publicity cruise lines don't need.  

It's not "bad publicity," it's reality.  COVID-19 is not magically going away and the sooner we all realize this and act on it, the faster we will all get back to cruising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Princess board had this youtube by Ben and David (onboard) showing how they received info about Covid on the ship, and then how it progressed. At the end they just want off the ship (sad). They mention maybe it was the Americans or Canadians bringing it onboard boarding in Barbados and also, in their opinion, "testing will not work".

(On the plus side, the video will also make you want to research booking a cruise on Seadream when it's safe - looks wonderful!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yet, somehow, Tui has sailed three ships (with capacities 20x of SeaDream) since late July and have yet to have a single confirmed case.

I wonder if the difference is in the way they traveled to the Port. Didn't one blogger from the Tui say that they had traveled by a private flight? Someone on the Sea Dream said speculation onboard is that the first person testing positive was exposed at some point during the 72 hours between their first test and the second test at the Port (which included the flight). 

22 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

I wonder if the difference is in the way they traveled to the Port. Didn't one blogger from the Tui say that they had traveled by a private flight? Someone on the Sea Dream said speculation onboard is that the first person testing positive was exposed at some point during the 72 hours between their first test and the second test at the Port (which included the flight). 

This is the actual quote from Sea Dream: "The only real speculation we have at this point is that the passenger who tested positive was somehow exposed in the 72 hours between their first test and their flight. The virus can take several days to incubate, which is why it might not have shown up on this dockside test."

23 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

This is the actual quote from Sea Dream: "The only real speculation we have at this point is that the passenger who tested positive was somehow exposed in the 72 hours between their first test and their flight. The virus can take several days to incubate, which is why it might not have shown up on this dockside test."

Which just goes to prove there really isn't any way to keep Covid off a ship.

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

Which is why I think pre testing is pointless as there is no guaranty.  What happens if you get a false positive at check in? There isn't any time to retest before sail away. 

• Like 1