All inclusive

Happy Cruiser 6143

17 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

unlimited basic wifi, not the streaming wifi.

so it looks like people cant hog up the bandwidth with netflix/youtube videos.

am also curious as to the new capt's club benefits.

I am guessing Captain's Club members will get the upgrades.

13 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We still have  some future cruises booked. They are with gratuities. 

As elite plus, we get our cappuccinos, enough wifi, happy hour drink and laundry. That suits us fine. .If, further ahead into the future, we are forced to book AI at a much higher rate, it will be time to move on. I have been wanting to try Oceania and if Celebrity catches up to them in price, that's what I will do!

We are in the same boat, no pun intended, and are not interested in AI.  What about the people who do not want drinks for one reason or another?  We have started looking elsewhere and are on Princess in June (if it sails) because Celebrity pulled that itinerary (Singapore to Rome).

23 hours ago, Fouremco said:

According to the FAQ:

Q. #5: Is Always Included applicable to existing bookings made prior to November 17, 2020?

A: Yes, both new and existing bookings are eligible to participate at prevailing rates.

Am I interpreting this correctly, that you would need to rebook/refare in order to get the 3 AI basic perks? For someone who booked a cruise a year or two ago and L&S'd it to next year or early 2022, they'd best be very careful as the cost of refaring might be many times the cost of the perks.

Question: once AI comes into effect, will those who booked under the previous conditions still be able to purchase individual perks? For example, we have a booking that included gratuities and beverage package. If we were to decide to buy a wifi package after November 17, would we be able to or would we be obliged to go with the AI package? 

My TA emailed me this morning (from the way it was addressed I think it was a bulk to everyone booked on X in the future) to say that when this comes out on the 17th she will review current bookings to see if we are better changing or being grandfathered in as we have and will let us know.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

We will have to see what changes (if any) they make to the Zenith program to compensate for all the perks that everyone now gets !!! Will also see if Zeniths are kicked out of Michael's Club / The Retreat as rumored.

If Zenith's are kicked out of Michael's/Retreat, then what would be the point of becoming Zenith?  Oh sure, you get a free cruise in some lower level balcony cabin (if that's your thing) and laundry, but that's all that's left.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, dandee2 said:

Question about the excursion: if I understand correctly, excursion will only be available thru Celebrity at this point. You are not allowed to go ashore on your own. Is Celebrty going to move the excursion price up so people will not have choice but to upgrade?

I don't really care as I will not be sailing on Celebrity or any other line until we are allowed to go ashore and do our own thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We are in the same boat, no pun intended, and are not interested in AI.  What about the people who do not want drinks for one reason or another?  We have started looking elsewhere and are on Princess in June (if it sails) because Celebrity pulled that itinerary (Singapore to Rome).

I watched the presentation.   While I understand the focus is on the travel agents, but there was no discussion on what the clients will think.  Hopefully, they will hone their message other than it is a way to increase the commission to the travel agents.

As a customer, I do not see any benefit to me.  They are reducing my flexibility.  I will be looking at other cruiselines such as Princess, NCL and Hal, who will provide it.  While  I have not been on the Edge class, I do not see much difference between the millennium class and some of the Princess ships.

I hope that people will complain about losing the option to have a cruise without taking the inclusive package.  I am booked on a couple cruises in 2022 on Celebrity, but that may be the end as contrary to their messaging, I do not see much difference between them and some of the other cruiselines.  

In  my mind, for those that want that "Luxury" feeling, take a suite, which currently gives you all of the perks, including the Retreat and Luminae.   However, someone that wants an inside room, should not be forced to take their all inclusive package.  This is definitely the wrong time to be getting your client base upset.  Poor marketing decision!

PS.  From the presentation, it sounds like they are going after the Gen-X group.   So maybe they are not too worried about losing some baby boomers.....

• Like 4

Y’all do realize that the older members of the Gen-X cohort are in their mid to late 50’s right?  At the younger end we are in our 40s (I’m 48 so squarely in the middle). Many already have grandchildren and/or are empty nesters. We have disposable income and will be traveling for 20-25+ years. Of course a company like Celebrity is trying to attract us!  Programs like the new “All Included” pricing from Celebrity or “Princess Plus” or HAL’s “Have it All” that include multiple items in the base fare are squarely targeted at us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Y’all do realize that the older members of the Gen-X cohort are in their mid to late 50’s right?  At the younger end we are in our 40s (I’m 48 so squarely in the middle). Many already have grandchildren and/or are empty nesters. We have disposable income and will be traveling for 20-25+ years. Of course a company like Celebrity is trying to attract us!  Programs like the new “All Included” pricing from Celebrity or “Princess Plus” or HAL’s “Have it All” that include multiple items in the base fare are squarely targeted at us.

Gen-Xer's are over 60 million strong and their disposable income.  Gen-X left me a few years ago, (60 yo here) but I took my disposable income with me before he left. Now we baby boomers are 70 million strong.  Thus far a very happy and loyal Celebrity customer, hopefully will stay that way.  I'll be very interested in reading the upcoming comments once AI is reflected on the website.

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

That would be a challenge.  There isn't enough speciality restaurant seating capacity to allow for each passenger to dine 1 night in a specialty restaurant.  

Totally agree - can you imagine trying to get a reservation in a Specialty Restaurant if everyone on board had a free dinner included

• Like 3

As I said even if X implements All inclusive- we will still have to pay for the Spec. Restaurants- as it is with TUI- Cruises- of that I am quite quite sure!

I am not sure if they really would get rid of the loyality levels- I suppose that would cause a big uproar! LOL.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, cruznjan said:

I am guessing Captain's Club members will get the upgrades.

Better guess again. This program is no different than anything that they have been offering under previous plans such as 123-Go and Good Better and Best. These programs have been around since 2013. The only change is that they added credit for shore excursions and I'm sure that has to do with fact that only ship sponsored excursions will be allowed if you want to get off the ship while it's in port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I am not surprised that they are going after the Gen-X cohort, but the boomers are the largest and based on my last cruise on Celebrity seemed to be the majority of the guests.   Why wouldn't Celebrity do what Princess or HAL has done and give the option of the two different price fares.  Celebrity should not assume that they can ignore boomers and just assume they will have them cruise in the future.  Also, boomers have more free time as a whole than Gen-X, so can cruise whenever they want.

When a company has close to "0" revenue in a quarter, they should be looking at getting as much revenue from as many groups that they can.  Yes, all of us boomers(55-75) will eventually die and provide no further revenue to Celebrity.  However, there is a substantial  amount of revenue that Celebrity can get from us before then!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Better guess again. This program is no different than anything that they have been offering under previous plans such as 123-Go and Good Better and Best. These programs have been around since 2013. The only change is that they added credit for shore excursions and I'm sure that has to do with fact that only ship sponsored excursions will be allowed if you want to get off the ship while it's in port.

Totally agree.  Just an old program theme reworked with new names.  And most likely higher cost.  Lipstick on a pig??😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Totally agree.  Just an old program theme reworked with new names.  And most likely higher cost.  Lipstick on a pig??😄

Yes. But it's still funny to see the same old reactions...

The beating of chests and vows of leaving X for other cruise lines and never to sail with them again... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

I am not surprised that they are going after the Gen-X cohort, but the boomers are the largest and based on my last cruise on Celebrity seemed to be the majority of the guests.   Why wouldn't Celebrity do what Princess or HAL has done and give the option of the two different price fares.  Celebrity should not assume that they can ignore boomers and just assume they will have them cruise in the future.  Also, boomers have more free time as a whole than Gen-X, so can cruise whenever they want.

When a company has close to "0" revenue in a quarter, they should be looking at getting as much revenue from as many groups that they can.  Yes, all of us boomers(55-75) will eventually die and provide no further revenue to Celebrity.  However, there is a substantial  amount of revenue that Celebrity can get from us before then!

We wish that you were correct, "tert333," but we believe that "X" has made a conscious decision -- based on their financial interests only (not giving a bleep about the interests of us boomers) -- to fully abandon us, pursuing ONLY the younger generations (because those generations are very low in the Captain's Club tiers).  You see, most of us boomers are now Elite or Elite-Plus, and the number of us has been rising greatly over the past five years.  Celebrity has been realizing that we have been costing them a "mint" (for laundry, cocktail hours, breakfast drinks [in Tuscan Grille], specialty coffee/tea, etc.). 

Now they will get rid of all of that -- and they will feel free to do so, because Captain's Club benefits have always been "subject to change."  So, not only will "X" stop losing vast amounts of cash on us E/E+ "freeloaders," but they will be forcing all guests to pay for the included Classic beverage packages, etc..  They realize that many of us will be angry and will abandon them, but they think that, in the long run, they will be better off financially.

We look forward to being proved wrong in the above predictions and assessment.

• Like 7

It was about 4 years ago I think when they were abandoning the Boomers for Millennial.   There were reports of cruise directors being direct at CC meet & greet that the people there were no longer a focus.

It was in the last year I read an article where they hired some consultant for about $200k in the UK who told them targeting GenX should be their target.

DW and I were GenX age 40's when we got hooked on Celebrity.  As DINKs we chose to vacation more frequently and more upscale than our friends who were putting kids through college.  In the 20 years sailing Celebrity while I think there are a few more people in their 30's and 40's certainly the majority of people filling the berths are older than that.

Yes the current baby boomers are going to age out and guess what the current GenX will be moving into that stage of life and take our places.

You would think that the RCG would have a strategy to move people from RCL for young adults, familys with kids to Celebrity for families with older kids who don't need all the activity and adults to Azamara for the culturally focused adult.

What I have been seeing is all lines (not just RCG) trying to be all things to all people.

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes. But it's still funny to see the same old reactions...

The beating of chests and vows of leaving X for other cruise lines and never to sail with them again... 

How many of them have included other lines instead of exclusively sailing Celebrity that you'll never really know about?  Three years ago I said I would move on.  I've done a couple of Holland and an incredible Azamara cruise, which btw was the best cruise I've ever been on.

We stopped sailing for a couple years when we moved and bought a house but have started booking again.  We have an  Edge Suite booked  which may or may not go.  I wanted to try Celebrity again to see if it's improved.  However I also have two Azamara cruises on the books as well before the end of 2021.  I'm looking for another Azamara once the new schedule is released.  So this person is no longer "loyal" to Celebrity but may include it if something catches my interest.

Because Celebrity's prices have gone through the roof, other premium lines are beginning to look more appealing for the money.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

DW and I were GenX age 40's when we got hooked on Celebrity.  As DINKs we chose to vacation more frequently and more upscale than our friends who were putting kids through college.  In the 20 years sailing Celebrity

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if you started sailing Celebrity 20 years ago in your 40's you've never been a Gen Xer. Were you born 1964 or before? 20 years ago I was 42, I was a Baby Boomer then and am now. 

Or maybe you are saying your age at the time is where the Gen Xers are now? 

7 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

How many of them have included other lines instead of exclusively sailing Celebrity that you'll never really know about?  Three years ago I said I would move on.  I've done a couple of Holland and an incredible Azamara cruise, which btw was the best cruise I've ever been on.

We stopped sailing for a couple years when we moved and bought a house but have started booking again.  We have an  Edge Suite booked  which may or may not go.  I wanted to try Celebrity again to see if it's improved.  However I also have two Azamara cruises on the books as well before the end of 2021.  I'm looking for another Azamara once the new schedule is released.  So this person is no longer "loyal" to Celebrity but may include it if something catches my interest.

Because Celebrity's prices have gone through the roof, other premium lines are beginning to look more appealing for the money.

Well not really much of a statement, at least from Celebrity's point, you'll still be keeping your $ in the "family", I don't think they will be too concerned.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Well not really much of a statement, at least from Celebrity's point, you'll still be keeping your $ in the "family", I don't think they will be too concerned.

Well maybe RCL corp likes it kept in the "family" but Queen Lisa, aka Celebrity, doesn't see a dime for my booking AZ.  She cares about HER bottom line.  Plus that won't prevent me from trying other premium lines not under the RCL umbrella.

5 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Well maybe RCL corp likes it kept in the "family" Yes they def do! but Queen Lisa, aka Celebrity, doesn't see a dime for my booking AZ.  Yes she def will! She cares about HER bottom line. Prior to pandemic, out of anyone's control, she certainly improved Celebrity bottom line with her innovative vision, she will again and should be handsomely rewarded!!  Plus that won't prevent me from trying other premium lines not under the RCL umbrella.  They won't care, others will replace you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ORV said:

Or maybe you are saying your age at the time is where the Gen Xers are now? 

Yes that's what I was saying.  People of that age group are busy spending their money on other things.  In my opinion the people mid 50's and older will always have the most disposable income for travel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well, that is different, and a change then.