What is your expected return date to cruising?

SelectSys

Your Expected Date to Return to Cruising  

87 members have voted

1. 1. When do you expect to take your first COVID cruise

• 1H 2021
    • 2H 2021
    • 1H 2022
    • 2H 2022
    • 2023+
    • Never

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

but my best guess would be that cruise lines will require a vaccination to board the ships.

In the UK, and I think most of the EU, you cannot pay for a vaccination. They are given depending on your age, health condition and occupation. 

So it is impossible for cruise lines to require a vaccination, as the individual passengers have no way of privately being vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Surely only people at risk, or in specific professions  will be immunised first. Then everyone else, in order of need.

I'm hoping you're not suggesting that people can jump the queue by paying for the vaccine?

Plus, of course, everyone will need to be immunised every 6 months, so in reality, an individual will require 4 injections a year (because you need 2 injections 3 weeks apart for immunity). Not sure if the US public health care system is up to that, although I hope I'm wrong.

Your time table is pure fantasy.

Where in my comment did I say people are paying to jump the line?? LOL

Pure fantasy is claiming a vaccine would take 2 years like every single "medical professional" claimed. We have 3 vaccines in under a year and they are shipping out millions of doses every week. Basic math would say that a vaccine should be available to everyone in this country in 3-4 months, I took it a step further and said late spring to early summer. 

Fearmongering at its best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the UK, and I think most of the EU, you cannot pay for a vaccination. They are given depending on your age, health condition and occupation. 

So it is impossible for cruise lines to require a vaccination, as the individual passengers have no way of privately being vaccinated.

Who is saying you have to pay for a vaccine?! Why do you keep commenting on my post saying this??

Cruise lines can require anything they want. The CDC can require it. 

19 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Where in my comment did I say people are paying to jump the line?? LOL

Pure fantasy is claiming a vaccine would take 2 years like every single "medical professional" claimed. We have 3 vaccines in under a year and they are shipping out millions of doses every week. Basic math would say that a vaccine should be available to everyone in this country in 3-4 months, I took it a step further and said late spring to early summer. 

Fearmongering at its best.

Shipping and actually carrying out the injections (twice) are two entirely different things.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But if you cannot get the vaccine, why make it a requirement ?  It's impossible for an individual to comply. 

Too bad for them.  They'll have to just "sacrifice" and take a cruise at a later time when vaccinated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But if you cannot get the vaccine, why make it a requirement ?  It's impossible for an individual to comply. 

How is it impossible to get a vaccine? I don't understand... The cruise lines want to get back to normal as soon as possible and the best way is to have vaccinated people onboard. No more quaranting at sea... That hurts their image and pocketbooks.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Shipping and actually carrying out the injections (twice) are two entirely different things.

Millions of doses per vaccine are being shipped out across this country every week it's only gonna get faster as we go.. 

I live in a small town in rural PA and the healthcare workers were getting vaccinated last week. 

I'm done responding to you until you open your eyes and stop the fearmongering. We will defeat the virus quit being so scared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jperry2011 said:

By the end of spring or early summer everyone in this country will have a vaccine (atleast 1 of the 3) available to them. 

So why wouldn't cruising be back to full speed by then?

A lot can go wrong (mutation, resurgence, anti-vaxxers, etc.) and a lot of the pieces of the puzzle (governments, ports, cruiselines, etc.) have to fall into place before cruising will "be back to full speed"  (if ever) .And even if everything goes right (which of course it won't), it will all take time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Millions of doses per vaccine are being shipped out across this country every week it's only gonna get faster as we go.. 

I live in a small town in rural PA and the healthcare workers were getting vaccinated last week. 

I'm done responding to you until you open your eyes and stop the fearmongering. We will defeat the virus quit being so scared.

Not fear mongering, just pointing out that it will take time to get everyone vaccinated, and then the whole process has to be repeated every 6 months. Just being realistic.

12 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

How is it impossible to get a vaccine? I don't understand.

It is impossible to get the vaccine if you are not in one of "tiers" being injected . For example, in the UK, there are various tier levels, the lowest tier being for those under 55. So those in that tier, it will be impossible for them to be vaccinated, until their name comes up on the list. Clear now?  

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is impossible to get the vaccine if you are not in one of "tiers" being injected . For example, in the UK, there are various tier levels, the lowest tier being for those under 55. So those in that tier, it will be impossible for them to be vaccinated, until their name comes up on the list. Clear now?  

That doesn't make it impossible to be vaccinated. Everyone has to wait their turn lol impossible means you can't get it your just saying "I have to wait, like everyone else"

12 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

That doesn't make it impossible to be vaccinated. Everyone has to wait their turn lol impossible means you can't get it your just saying "I have to wait, like everyone else"

So how do you plan a cruise, not knowing when you will be vaccinated, and knowing that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months? 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Define large - over 8 million in the UK. The Swedish figure is tiny by comparison.  

I don't really know how to find that information but there are poor areas of Stockholm where 40% are born outside Sweden (and then very few of them are from "rich" countries so almost everyone of the 40% must be considered to be a part of the BAME community) and I assume that their children shall be included too even if they are born in Sweden. Many of the schools in thoose areas have have few pupils born in Sweden. 

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So how do you plan a cruise, not knowing when you will be vaccinated, and knowing that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months? 

Nobody knows the vaccine is only effective for six months,it could be effective for a year,possibly two or five.As for planning a cruise,you can look on"omni vaccine queue calculator for the uk"which will give you aproximate times for your vaccine call up date based on your personel age and conditions.E.G.i'm 61,extremely vulnerable shielding and date is expected 02-02-21(first jab),wifes is01-03-21.We plan to move our FCC with P & O to june or july and are quite confident this will happen.You have to be optimistic,have a positive attitude and stop listening to all the crap on those news stations,always negative,moan moan moan.Be realistic and above all optimistic.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's not only effective for 6 months the percentage of effectiveness just starts to drop after six months.. it could be 50% effective still after a year nobody knows. I'm going to plan a cruise for November knowing that the USA will have everyone vaccinated by summer. You do whatever you want lol hide under a rock.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Too bad for them.  They'll have to just "sacrifice" and take a cruise at a later time when vaccinated.

The problem I was thinking about was that I can't book a cruise in July which require vaccination because I can't know if I will be able to get my shots before that. 

For the US, May at the absolute earliest. There are underlying factors that must be completed and I know the CDC wields the power.

1. Vaccinations are required for 2021 in the US
  2. Vaccinations include 100% of port workers, 100% of terminal workers, 100% of people (delivery, etc) accessing the port, and 100% of crew onboard.
  3. Onboard crew limited to industrialized home countries where they can get vaccinated. Many of the crew come from countries way down the list. The US will not give them vaccines prior to people already here. There would need to be left over supply to vaccinate foreigners working on cruise ships.
  4. The CDC saying that nearly full US vaccinations won't be until early fall.
  5. Cruise lines have to prove, really prove, that they can be safe. 
  6. CDC has to define exactly what is required to cruise. What they have basically given in previous rhetoric is complete quarantine facility, logistics, medical staff, in the event of a single case on a ship. Cruise lines can't afford that and there is no way cruisers would agree to 14-day mandatory quarantine at a prison like facility. Vaccinations would eliminate this part
  7. For US, they must dock in a foreign port because of the worker laws. None of the Caribbean ports will see anything remotely significant in the way of vaccines for many months (think August or later). How do they get by that requirement, private islands only?

Personally, I think May is a pipe dream, but it may be the test month. I could see July as a start date. 

15 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

The problem I was thinking about was that I can't book a cruise in July which require vaccination because I can't know if I will be able to get my shots before that. 

Have a look on your government website and see if they have sometning similar to the omni queue calculator that i found in the uk.Have they started vaccinating yet?what's the population size?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not fear mongering, just pointing out that it will take time to get everyone vaccinated, and then the whole process has to be repeated every 6 months. Just being realistic.

According to testing, the vaccines stimulate the long term immune response [T and 'memory' B cells] not just antibodies. Folks exposed and recovered from similar virus strains [SARS-COV-1; MERS] have demonstrated robust immune response years later - with some indication of cross reaction to SARS-COV-2 as well.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months? 

That's been brought up recently. Has that been determined yet?

As to how to do it, I booked a cruise for 9/22 and have till 6/22 to cancel with full refund of deposit. If things aren't to the point that I'm comfortable then I'll cancel. That's how to do it.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

That's been brought up recently. Has that been determined yet?

As to how to do it, I booked a cruise for 9/22 and have till 6/22 to cancel with full refund of deposit. If things aren't to the point that I'm comfortable then I'll cancel. That's how to do it.

How many cruiselines can afford to wait until 2022? The problem with vaccinations is for cruises in 2021. If vaccinations are required for cruises in July 2021 many people probably need to book them before they get their shots so what happen if the vaccinations are delayed?  I already have a cruise booked for July 2021 but I'm not sure that I will be able to get my shots before then. (It may not matter because if masks are required I won't cruise anyway so then the vaccination is no problem!)  

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Aren't most (many?) cruise lines changing the date of final payment until 1 month before embarkations date?  Given that both of the currently approved vaccines require two dosages either 3 or 4 weeks apart, in most cases you would know by final payment date if you have had or will have the required doses by sail date.  If not, then cancel before final payment.

Edited by capriccio