What is your expected return date to cruising?

SelectSys

Your Expected Date to Return to Cruising  

87 members have voted

1. 1. When do you expect to take your first COVID cruise

• 1H 2021
    • 2H 2021
    • 1H 2022
    • 2H 2022
    • 2023+
    • Never

(This is my first post, and I’m sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place.) My husband and I are considering booking a cruise with MSC out of Port Canaveral mid-May of 2021, but we’ve never cruised with MSC (we've always cruised Carnival). The rates are so low that it’s really tempting. Just curious if anyone thinks MSC will actually be sailing then? Or am I asking for a headache?

30 minutes ago, Cactus_Tree said:

(This is my first post, and I’m sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place.) My husband and I are considering booking a cruise with MSC out of Port Canaveral mid-May of 2021, but we’ve never cruised with MSC (we've always cruised Carnival). The rates are so low that it’s really tempting. Just curious if anyone thinks MSC will actually be sailing then? Or am I asking for a headache?

About 85% of the folks who responded to this survey believe you’re likely asking for a headache.

Thanks for your response. I guess I was hanging on to hope. I read somewhere on here that MSC would probably sail soonest because of their track record for quickly re-adapting, so I was hopeful for a mid-May 2021 sailing.

We’ve only ever sailed Carnival, and there’s no way I’d book Carnival that soon. 

2 hours ago, Cactus_Tree said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I hope this won’t be your last post. 

I think you’re being overly optimistic with that date, but I hope you’ll be on board before too much longer. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cactus_Tree said:

Thanks for your response. I guess I was hanging on to hope. I read somewhere on here that MSC would probably sail soonest because of their track record for quickly re-adapting, so I was hopeful for a mid-May 2021 sailing.

We’ve only ever sailed Carnival, and there’s no way I’d book Carnival that soon. 

Frankly, I don’t believe the resumption of cruising in/around North America is dependent on which cruise line you’re interested in using.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

8th January 2023 - Viking Neptune

That's very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  If Viking plans to test everyone every day on that cruise, I think it's safe to say we're still in trouble.

13 hours ago, Cactus_Tree said:

Welcome aboard!  I think the likelihood of your cruise sailing in May rests mostly with the CDC.  If they insist on requiring all cruisers (and/or crew) to have a vaccine, then it's not gonna go because it will be too soon.  If they keep their current plans, I think your chances are pretty good.  I'm optimistic about all cruise lines and ships figuring out how to make the CDC happy in the coming months.  

13 hours ago, Cactus_Tree said:

Welcome!  In addition to the the opinions you receive here you might want to ask the same questions on the MSC forum (each cruise line has a dedicated board for questions and comments specifically about the line):  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

Personally I would guess - and that's all any of us can do - that mid-May probably will be a no-go.  Just don't tie up a lot of money if you decide to risk it.   If MSC is offering a small deposit with a final payment due date of 30 days before the cruise I might risk it if I was the betting type (which I'm not). 

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

That's very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  If Viking plans to test everyone every day on that cruise, I think it's safe to say we're still in trouble.

In addition to itinerary, this was part of the reason we pushed back from '22 to '23.

Since it is a World Cruise, our hope is that everyone that wants the vaccine will have it, even in lesser developed countries. COVID protocols, such as daily testing and cruise line shore-ex only will have relaxed, with everything back to some semblance of normal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Since it is a World Cruise, our hope is that everyone that wants the vaccine will have it,

I just hope the fact that Pfizer has gotten no word about where and when to send the next batch is a one-off event.

27 minutes ago, clo said:

I just hope the fact that Pfizer has gotten no word about where and when to send the next batch is a one-off event.

Not aware of issues. Are you referencing an issue within the US, as Canada and UK have no issues that I am aware of, other than the challenge of cold storage. UK will be starting week 3 of vaccinations and we start week 2.

While we have limited vaccination centres, only 2 for our entire Province, the doses are being delivered and administered.

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not aware of issues. Are you referencing an issue within the US, as Canada and UK have no issues that I am aware of, other than the challenge of cold storage. UK will be starting week 3 of vaccinations and we start week 2.

While we have limited vaccination centres, only 2 for our entire Province, the doses are being delivered and administered.

Yes. The US. Sorry. I figured this would be front page news today but no.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/530695-pfizer-says-no-covid-vaccine-production-problems-or-shipment-delays

59 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes. The US. Sorry. I figured this would be front page news today but no.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/530695-pfizer-says-no-covid-vaccine-production-problems-or-shipment-delays

Here's a link from the Boston Globe.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/12/18/vaccine-shipments-massachusetts-reduced

Thought this was interesting in the posted Hill Story -

"Pfizer said it is confident it can deliver 50 million doses globally this year and up to 1.3 billion doses next year."

Now with approval for Moderna, these doses will be coming to market as well

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/fda-advisors-green-light-moderna-covid-vaccine-emergency-use

I think we will see a lot of product coming out in the next 6 months as at least these two companies race to meet the market demand and become the COVID vaccine winner.

Bottom line -

My own personal return to cruising date might get moved up to Spring 2022.

4 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

"Pfizer said it is confident it can deliver 50 million doses globally this year and up to 1.3 billion doses next year."

But if the US doesn't tell them where and when to ship I guess they'll send it to other countries.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Pfizer seems to be ahead of the game with the competition.  I know the military has already received the Pfizer vax and started applying it this week.  

3 hours ago, clo said:

But if the US doesn't tell them where and when to ship I guess they'll send it to other countries.

Doubtful.  This story got some legs yesterday, but will be gone soon as the supply chains are better practiced.  Remember, these vaccines (especially Pfizer) require extremely specialized care to avoid ruining them due to storage.  You just can't send them overnight mail to your local pharmacy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/covid-vaccine-dr-scott-gottlieb-expects-shortages-to-last-through-next-week.html

"Gottlieb told CNBC he believes some of the confusion around available supply of Pfizer’s vaccine could be stemming from government concerns about the logistics network. He said there may be the desire to temper the supply of Pfizer’s vaccine in the system to make sure the distribution network can handle it and doses don’t pile up anywhere."

Here is a widely reported example where vaccine was lost.

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/cold-storage-production-issues-cause-early-distribution-snags/

U.S. officials said Wednesday they quarantined several thousand doses of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine in California and Alabama this week after an “anomaly” in the transportation process caused the storage temperature to get too cold. Pfizer’s vaccine, which was developed with German drugmaker BioNTech, requires a storage temperature of around minus 70 degrees Celsius. Vials of the vaccine are stored in trays, which carry a minimum of 975 doses each, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

BTW -The really good news is that the politicians so diligently looking out for our interest are already getting their vaccinations!

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-capitolhill/members-of-congress-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-first-round-physician-says-idUSKBN28S0BM

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Pfizer seems to be ahead of the game with the competition.  I know the military has already received the Pfizer vax and started applying it this week.  

Today - my understanding is that the Moderna vaccine may be easier to store and transport.  If someone comes up with a vaccine with easier logistics, that would be a real game changer as the Pfizer vaccine would be really tough to distribute in many parts of the world.

10 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Doubtful.  This story got some legs yesterday, but will be gone soon as the supply chains are better practiced.  Remember, these vaccines (especially Pfizer) require extremely specialized care to avoid ruining them due to storage.  You just can't send them overnight mail to your local pharmacy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/covid-vaccine-dr-scott-gottlieb-expects-shortages-to-last-through-next-week.html

"Gottlieb told CNBC he believes some of the confusion around available supply of Pfizer’s vaccine could be stemming from government concerns about the logistics network. He said there may be the desire to temper the supply of Pfizer’s vaccine in the system to make sure the distribution network can handle it and doses don’t pile up anywhere."

Here is a widely reported example where vaccine was lost.

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/cold-storage-production-issues-cause-early-distribution-snags/

U.S. officials said Wednesday they quarantined several thousand doses of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine in California and Alabama this week after an “anomaly” in the transportation process caused the storage temperature to get too cold. Pfizer’s vaccine, which was developed with German drugmaker BioNTech, requires a storage temperature of around minus 70 degrees Celsius. Vials of the vaccine are stored in trays, which carry a minimum of 975 doses each, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

BTW -The really good news is that the politicians so diligently looking out for our interest are already getting their vaccinations!

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-capitolhill/members-of-congress-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-first-round-physician-says-idUSKBN28S0BM

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/18/948030235/pfizer-says-millions-of-vaccine-doses-are-ready-but-states-say-shipments-were-cu