What is your expected return date to cruising?

SelectSys

Your Expected Date to Return to Cruising  

87 members have voted

1. 1. When do you expect to take your first COVID cruise

• 1H 2021
    • 2H 2021
    • 1H 2022
    • 2H 2022
    • 2023+
    • Never

The following article is an interesting read. Although written prior to the approval of the Pfizer vaccine,  the author makes some interesting points as to the possibility (or not) of a return to a new normal.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

Probably best if we all make up our own minds as to what the new normal will be, and when it will return, but I personally would not even bother looking at a brochure for a 2021 cruise, let alone booking one.  

3 hours ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Nobody knows the vaccine is only effective for six months,it could be effective for a year,possibly two or five.As for planning a cruise,you can look on"omni vaccine queue calculator for the uk"which will give you aproximate times for your vaccine call up date based on your personel age and conditions.E.G.i'm 61,extremely vulnerable shielding and date is expected 02-02-21(first jab),wifes is01-03-21.We plan to move our FCC with P & O to june or july and are quite confident this will happen.You have to be optimistic,have a positive attitude and stop listening to all the crap on those news stations,always negative,moan moan moan.Be realistic and above all optimistic.

Yes, I posted the Omni link on the P&O forum. 

I think you are being very brave moving to a June 21 cruise, especially given the current high cost, plus the cruise protocols that P&O gave put in place.

Just to add, as you are shielding, have you received the email from P&O informing you that passengers with certain conditions will not be able to cruise with them ? 

Edited by wowzz

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Aren't most (many?) cruise lines changing the date of final payment until 1 month before embarkations date?  Given that both of the currently approved vaccines require two dosages either 3 or 4 weeks apart, in most cases you would know by final payment date if you have had or will have the required doses by sail date.  If not, then cancel before final payment.

The terms outside the US may be different.

Also, I have found at least a couple of lines are being rather sneaky about final payment dates. They are making the final payment closer to sailing....yet they are not changing their penalty structure if YOU cancel. So if your final payment is due one month prior to sailing, your % of monies returned may still be based on a penalty calendar starting at 90 days.

No idea whatsoever.   Our benchmark will not be when we get the vaccine.  It will be based on what countries/ports allow us to enter and what the on board environment will be like.

We have absolutely no interest in cruising if ports are closed to us, if we have to take cruise line excursions in those ports that are open, if we are expected to wear face masks and practice social distancing etc.  Until then it will be land travels, perhaps a condo for a week here and there so we can self cater.

We do not expect to get the vaccine and then board a cruise ship the next week.  Nor will we have any interest in cruising with any ship/cruise line that does not make proof of covid vaccine a condition of passage.

Nor will we cruise if we feel the cost is excessive relative to other travel options.  Cruising is just one of several travel options that we enjoy.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, I have found at least a couple of lines are being rather sneaky about final payment dates. They are making the final payment closer to sailing....yet they are not changing their penalty structure if YOU cancel. So if your final payment is due one month prior to sailing, your % of monies returned may still be based on a penalty calendar starting at 90 days.

Wow that is really low!  Everyone is always advised to read the small print but how many people really do?  I guess that is what those lines are counting on.

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

No idea whatsoever.   Our benchmark will not be when we get the vaccine.  It will be based on what countries/ports allow us to enter and what the on board environment will be like.

We have absolutely no interest in cruising if ports are closed to us, if we have to take cruise line excursions in those ports that are open, if we are expected to wear face masks and practice social distancing etc.  Until then it will be land travels, perhaps a condo for a week here and there so we can self cater.

We do not expect to get the vaccine and then board a cruise ship the next week.  Nor will we have any interest in cruising with any ship/cruise line that does not make proof of covid vaccine a condition of passage.

Every word you wrote is exactly how we feel. And if we never cruise again that's okay.

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Aren't most (many?) cruise lines changing the date of final payment until 1 month before embarkations date?  Given that both of the currently approved vaccines require two dosages either 3 or 4 weeks apart, in most cases you would know by final payment date if you have had or will have the required doses by sail date.  If not, then cancel before final payment.

I have not seen any update from Cunard - final payment date is still May first for a 12 September sailing. By current CDC regulations, the sailing might be cancelled as it is over 7 days (19 day round trip).

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

I have not been given any information from MSC about changed conditions.

I won't help me if I have to fly to port.

8 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Agree, unless you want to cruise again.

Here's the cruise we have booked for 9/22. At our age - mid 70s - it's just not going to happen as a DIY, so yeah we'd love to do that trip. But if we don't we'll do something else fun.

MNA220913.jpg

1 hour ago, clo said:

Here's the cruise we have booked for 9/22. At our age - mid 70s - it's just not going to happen as a DIY, so yeah we'd love to do that trip. But if we don't we'll do something else fun.

MNA220913.jpg

Nice with a stop in Visby! It does look a little strange. How will you travel between Stockholm and Oslo? Cruising the way the map shows is not an option but I'm sure you know that!

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I posted the Omni link on the P&O forum. 

I think you are being very brave moving to a June 21 cruise, especially given the current high cost, plus the cruise protocols that P&O gave put in place.

Just to add, as you are shielding, have you received the email from P&O informing you that passengers with certain conditions will not be able to cruise with them ? 

Thanks for the info.,the cruise we're favouring is J110 on Arcadia 11-07-21 and the price for that one has remained pretty much the same for some time.A few reasons for this cruise is,never been on Arcadia before,a few of the stops are new to us and having done the fjords before(2015-Aurora),your constantly surrounded by beautiful scenery in the day hours ,for this time of year they are almost never ending.Just to be on top deck will be enough for us,will have to have some 5am starts and there's an overnight stop,which we've never done before.Norway is not in the E.U. so any hick-ups with brexit shouldn't affect us.I've been in contact with P&O about excursions and recieved reassurance about cost and availability if bubbles are still required.As for my shielding,i'm nowhere near the extreme conditions of oxygen,ventilators and dialysis that they now have to exclude from all cruises.Thing is,when should i book?,i'm thinking wait untill we've had the vaccine(feb.-march) then all should be a bit clearer.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

.Thing is,when should i book?

Million dollar question.

As you will know from the P&O board, occupancy levels on many 2021 cruises are already at 90%+ of the new, lower capacity numbers. You therefore may find that even if there is availability, your choice of cabin will be limited. At this late stage, you might as well wait until after the final payment date, and make a decision then,depending on prices, but that is just my personal opinion, obviously.

We normally book at launch to get the best prices.

we like Arcadia - not too big, spacious balcony cabins, and a full prom deck. 

18 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

On a very small ship it should be possible to use Göta kanal and cruise via Gothenburg! 

I try not to look at this trip too often  🙂 But if it happens we'd likely start in Bergen where we HAVE been and take the famous train to Oslo and spend a few days there.

56 minutes ago, clo said:

I try not to look at this trip too often  🙂 But if it happens we'd likely start in Bergen where we HAVE been and take the famous train to Oslo and spend a few days there.

I know it might be a tourists trap but can really recommend the food at Frognerseteren restaurant and café.

12 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know it might be a tourists trap but can really recommend the food at Frognerseteren restaurant and café.

Oh wow! I just looked at ONE of their menus and it looks fantastic. Thanks so much. Scandinavia has really taken the food world by storm the last few years.

15 hours ago, clo said:

Oh wow! I just looked at ONE of their menus and it looks fantastic. Thanks so much. Scandinavia has really taken the food world by storm the last few years.

I once ate the most amazing fish there. It was cooked in octopus ink so it was completely black on the outside. When cut it was superwhite on the inside! It tasted so good!!! 

Today is the number one foodday of the year in Sweden, I think,  when we shall eat our julbord!

We may disagree about things like buffets and maskwearing but I can still wish you, and everyone else here on cruisecritic, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Lets hope that next year will be better than this year!

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We may disagree about things like buffets and maskwearing but I can still wish you, and everyone else here on cruisecritic, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Lets hope that next year will be better than this year!

Indeed. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well, and to everyone on CC.

• Thanks 1