CELEBRITY are you reading these threads as to how unhappy the customer is??

emmas gran

What I can’t understand is that the Edge itineraries have been cancelled and all Edge cruises will now be 7 days ( in the hope that passengers don’t develop COVID-19 while on the cruise). But, they then offer passengers replacement cruises on Silhouette which are either 10/11 day Caribbean cruises.
Really?

Both are cruises sailing out of US waters under the CDC rules.

Why is it ok then for Silhouette to do 10/11 day sailings, but not Edge?

• Like 1

X has the opportunity to change their business model for the future to entice new, profitable pax.  Every other hospitality venue (hotels, resorts) does it regularly.  Airlines are awarding status based on miles and revenue to cut down on "cheap elites".

That means changes to the look and feel of the experience.  They want to keep PROFITABLE long term customers and offer enough on board services that end users want (WiFI) and ditch the ones that cost money with no perceived benefit (chocolate fountain with white glove service)

Reading some of the comments of "we don't use wifi (who doesnt check e mail?)" or "I tip what is appropriate (aka I stiff them) ", I can see why X wants to move away from that customer.  They aren't going to miss them

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Just thought I would ask the question, they apparently monitor the boards. Not that Lisa will get involved she has "people" for that

So as of a week ago, over 100,000 people have signed up to volunteer on the mock cruises.  Many people out there don't actually care about changes in loyalty benefits.  They just want to cruise.  We all sometimes get lost in the very small cross-section of the cruising population and customer base known as Cruise Critic World.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Just thought I would ask the question, they apparently monitor the boards. Not that Lisa will get involved she has "people" for that

There's a famous quote, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.”

Not all of us here are “unhappy”. YMMV.

X and all the cruise lines are struggling to stay afloat. Yes, many customers are understandably disappointed and frustrated, but I think we'll survive this hopefully short period of disruption caused by the pandemic. But will X?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Who is unhappy?

We do have a Celebrity cruise booked for April. Final payment is in December.

Will we cancel or make final payment and see how the Covid 19 situation plays out is a decision we will have to make.

On any case, flexibility is the key (and a sound background in science and clinical research) .

As far as any marketing changes, we will see how the changes fit in with our cruising preferences.

We started cruising in our twenties and are now in our seventies, so we have passed through all the different age/family/activity demographics.

During the years we have watched various cruiselines change their target audience (Royal Caribbean  downmarket to compete with Carnival, Sitmar merged with Princess and being Carnivalized by Carnival Corp, etc).  As a result, there are lines that we no longer sail, some that are losing what used to make them unique, and new lines that are offering new possibilities for our cruising enjoyment.

If Celebrity no longer fits a cruiser's preferences, some other line will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So as of a week ago, over 100,000 people have signed up to volunteer on the mock cruises.  Many people out there don't actually care about changes in loyalty benefits.  They just want to cruise.  We all sometimes get lost in the very small cross-section of the cruising population and customer base known as Cruise Critic World.

You don't think "free" had anything to do with the number??

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You get DH to cook??  

30 years ago my DH was forbidden to ever cook again. I was not at home when he decided to cook some spaghetti for dinner and apparently forgot he'd left the pan on the stove with boiling water. He burned a hole through one of my good pots (the pan literally melted).

He doesn’t seem to mind not being allowed to cook. Sometimes I wonder if he did it on purpose.😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I can attest that I Am very happy with X and will be over the moon once we are able to sail again...

Am I happy with everything on X, possibly, yet when I Am on-board it becomes moot... unless it is something serious which I have only encountered once, thus far.

Sorry to read that you are unhappy... hopefully that will change.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, C-Dragons said:

And raise our glasses together at the Martini Bar! 

Cheers and bon voyage...

If that does not take care of any unhappiness I may have had with X, then nothing will! LOL...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

What I can’t understand is that the Edge itineraries have been cancelled and all Edge cruises will now be 7 days ( in the hope that passengers don’t develop COVID-19 while on the cruise). But, they then offer passengers replacement cruises on Silhouette which are either 10/11 day Caribbean cruises.
Really?

My ten (10) night Edge sailing is still in play....

bon voyage

52 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You don't think "free" had anything to do with the number??

GG- Are you sure these volunteer cruises are going to be free?  All I could find in the Q&A was that they might be free but no details released yet.  Nevertheless the volunteers would probably have to at least pay for transportation and hotel stays - who knows.  But of course free comes with a price - to be possibly exposed to COVID amongst other things.  Not for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Really?

The 10/11 day sailings are after the CDC ban on longer cruises ends. I'm pretty sure Celebrity feels they can get a better/higher price and more guests on Edge than on Silhouette. Even though Silhouette is our favorite ship I have to agree with them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

In view of your responses I may have misjudged the comments on other threads. 

Your mistake was in assuming that the grumbles you were reading was a reflection of Celebrity's entire customer base, and not just a very small (though vocal) segment of it.

• Like 4

X is still taking reservations for my 12 night ABC cruise January 4, 2021 which I’m sure will be canceled.  Don’t have much hope for our other cruises, either.   I wish X would tell us when cruising will start again and quit selling cruises they know will be canceled!  

Edited by Carole2313
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The 10/11 day sailings are after the CDC ban on longer cruises ends. I'm pretty sure Celebrity feels they can get a better/higher price and more guests on Edge than on Silhouette. Even though Silhouette is our favorite ship I have to agree with them.

The other part of the equation is that the E-class ships are more energy efficient and can sail with 50% of passengers and still make a profit.

20 minutes ago, Carole2313 said:

X is still taking reservations for my 12 night ABC cruise January 4, 2021 which I’m sure will be canceled.  Don’t have much hope for our other cruises, either.   X would tell us when cruising will start again and quit selling cruises they know will be canceled!  

I'm sure they are currently working on rescheduling hundreds of itineraries for their fleet. This is quite an undertaking. Most cruise ship schedules are done 2 years in advance. Imagine trying to reshuffle almost everything at the last minute when there are still unanswered questions, such as when will they definitely be allowed to get their ships back out to sea, and which ports around the world will allow them in? Things are totally fluid as Covid outbreaks are surging again and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

If you are not confident that you will sail in Jan. 2021 (which btw I agree probably will not go) you have the option to change now.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

If you are reading Celebrity and/or Lisa's people, I am VERY happy with your product and AI.  Looking forward to my cruise in May.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1