River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Today in Ottawa we were able to sign a condolence book.

Oh Canada, of course. I had somewhat forgotten about the ties. Wish I had the chance of signing somewhere.

Watched some footage and commentary from news outlets. A couple of US ones - oh dear. If that was all I knew about America I would have a sad image put in my head...

Anyway, the bond and togetherness in grief is so moving to see as universally the late Queen's achievements and her life are acknowledged.

Without getting too political, in a republic like mine it feels impossible that we should ever come together to mourn a person in such a manner. For myself, I feel my life is lacking because of it.

I have heard today that a lady living not far from me has booked a plane ticket and is flying to London for the funeral.

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ll be in London next Monday.  Don’t think I’ll brave the queue at Westminster Hall but may pay my respects along the procession route after the funeral.

Oh that is nice. Have a good flight.

@Canal archive glad it has worked out for you to be in the street for that difficult but important moment. Something to truly cherish.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

So many people are now sharing stories about meeting the Queen. I saw her motorcade when I was 4 years old here in Canada. Not a big deal,  but many years late I met and spoke with Princess Anne and her then husband Mark. I was laying on a  bed at a blood donor clinic. What an informal meeting .

RB 

• Like 2

I love the story Paul McCartney tells of winning an essay contest at age 10 and the reward was meeting The Queen not long after her ascension in the early 50’s.  He must have had a way with words even way back then!  And to think he went on to be knighted by her so many years later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I love the story Paul McCartney tells of winning an essay contest at age 10 and the reward was meeting The Queen not long after her ascension in the early 50’s.  He must have had a way with words even way back then!  And to think he went on to be knighted by her so many years later.

I love that story too. I know he said if she spoke to him first then he could answer, otherwise, keep quiet😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Just a bit of trivia fun, to lift the spirits with our Queens sense of fun on this most somber of days - what song did the band play when she danced with President Gerald Ford in 1976? 

Dancing Queen by ABBA of course. 😁💃🕺👑

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Canal archive Thanks for the lighter notes on that difficult day. We had live coverage for several hours on German television but I watched the BBC (world news channel). With red eyes and in a daze I went shopping in the early evening and saw the most splendid double rainbow. Wish I could post a photo without giving my whereabouts away. I walked past a public building and saw that the flag was flying at half mast. First thought was "Oh dear, which regional leader has died??", then I realized it was for Her Majesty the Queen. Apparently Germany decided to do that and I had not read it beforehand. What a lovely gesture, not just with our government (buildings) in Berlin but down to the lower authorities, too.

notamermaid

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Vat free for all our lovely visitors!

I did not even know that the scheme had been abolished.

https://www.ft.com/content/74420b1a-a0b5-4048-8acd-450de9cbfbbc

Oh it would be nice if I could use it to pay for my tea and biscuits. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to bring sausages and cheese home anymore. If the scheme only works for high end stuff then, well, it does not work for me.

notamermaid

Only just, all change as we have a new Prime Minister and just about every other minister including our chancellor of the exchequer. Hopefully the cheese, ham & sausage debacle will be sorted soon. Although we don’t pay vat on tea as being England it’s considered an essential part of our staple diet. 

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Only just, all change as we have a new Prime Minister and just about every other minister including our chancellor of the exchequer. Hopefully the cheese, ham & sausage debacle will be sorted soon. Although we don’t pay vat on tea as being England it’s considered an essential part of our staple diet. 

We don't pay sales tax on tea either – as my NYC tea merchant pointed out to me 'We fought a war over that!!!'

Ohhhh history, at school it took me some time to come to terms with the fact as I saw it England fought England (New) over of all things tea, as a kid I couldn’t stand tea. I do appreciate a good cuppa now and can even tell my Assam from my Darjeeling and a good Gunpowder can knock your head off.

We have lived here all of 7 months, and get to experience an immense hurricane. Thankful to live inland, but do expect to lose power. Also thankful our apartment is only 2 years old, so hopefully will hold up. Stay safe to all of my other FL neighbors!

Robin

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, acwmom said:

We have lived here all of 7 months, and get to experience an immense hurricane. Thankful to live inland, but do expect to lose power. Also thankful our apartment is only 2 years old, so hopefully will hold up. Stay safe to all of my other FL neighbors!

Robin

Hi Robin, I didn't know ya'll moved to Florida. What part? 

I have lived here since 1965.