Royal Reveals Test Cruises-Pinnacles

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Honestly, way less than half of the pins I know sail in less than balcony cabins. It doesn't make sense with the generous balcony discount

I stay in balconies more now thanks to the CAS balcony discount (unless it's an exotic bucket list destination where balconies carry a heavy premium).

Up to pin: Int 25.6%, OV 16.3%, Balc 27.9%, Suite 30.2%

Since pin: Int 16.7%, OV 0%, Balc 50%, Suite 33.3%

I did find a bargain on an interior to Alaska on Serenade.  Anytime I can go to Alaska for under $800 all in I grab it.  Have been enough times that a balcony isn't required in Alaska and if I can completely cover expensive excursions with cabin savings I have no problem in an interior to Alaska.

31 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Generous??  On a couple of recently booked cruises Balcony Discount wasn't available due to a "promotion".

This does happen occasionally but for the most part I often see balcony cabins less than OV now and a small enough uplift over interior it's a no brainer to go for the balcony.  Royal gets more money, I get a balcony.  Win-Win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I agree with those who say Pinnacles not the best choice for the first to cruise.  Many are super seniors and the most vulnerable to Covid.  I would only let those who want to sail in Jr. and Suites to sail first.  Perhaps balconies also- but no inside or window cabins.

Not all pins are super old. i was in my early 40s when I turned pinnacle. And as a pin I pretty much am always in a suite unless its a last minute cruise then it is take what you can get. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sea shepherd said:

Not all pins are super old. i was in my early 40s when I turned pinnacle. And as a pin I pretty much am always in a suite unless its a last minute cruise then it is take what you can get. 

We always also sail in suites only.  However some pinnacles we have spoken to have been sailing for many years in ocean view. They also sail for weeks at a time.  The most we do is a back to back

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unless you are booking suites find a TA with group space.  Cheaper, refundable deposits and 100% of the balcony discount always applied. 

I have an Amazing TA. He went to bat for me on this and other issues that he was able to get resolved. The latest cruise in question is Panama Canal Oct 1 2021. I think the promotion was "fast deal" or something like that. It took $150 off total price. Balcony discount was almost double but RCI would not budge and allow the Balcony discount instead of the promotion. Has that option changed as I know, in the past, you could choose which one you wanted? Exec Customer Service called me after my email and got the same answer from them.....which was no. 

11 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I have an Amazing TA. He went to bat for me on this and other issues that he was able to get resolved. The latest cruise in question is Panama Canal Oct 1 2021. I think the promotion was "fast deal" or something like that. It took $150 off total price. Balcony discount was almost double but RCI would not budge and allow the Balcony discount instead of the promotion. Has that option changed as I know, in the past, you could choose which one you wanted? Exec Customer Service called me after my email and got the same answer from them.....which was no. 

The last I heard you had a choice as to which promotion you took.  I so rarely book clients outside of group space that I haven’t come across it in a while. 

Those fast deals usually last only a few days and the base price often times does not change.  Did you check the price with your balcon6 discount a few days later?

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The last I heard you had a choice as to which promotion you took.  I so rarely book clients outside of group space that I haven’t come across it in a while. 

Those fast deals usually last only a few days and the base price often times does not change.  Did you check the price with your balcon6 discount a few days later?

Yes....and it went up considerably. I was really surprised that I couldn't opt out of the "promotion". 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Are there really enough Pinnacle members under 65 to do several of these test cruises? Any Pinnacle member I've ever seen or met were well up there in age.

I think there are plenty of Pins under 65 although not all may be volunteering at this time.  

However the way Bayley stated it led to me believe it wouldn't limited to Pins only.  Start with Pins, move onto D+, move on to D and so on until they reach the number they want.  At least that's the way I read it.

It’s possible australia could have  a trials season,We should find out in a week or two.
Or the term that seems to be `Ocean getaways’ Season.

I don’t think it will be limited to C&A members because it will be a costumer recruitment bonanza.

Edited by Chiliburn

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Generous??  On a couple of recently booked cruises Balcony Discount wasn't available due to a "promotion". The "promotion" was less than the Balcony Discount and RCI wouldn't allow opting out of the promotion to get the balcony discount. TA escalated and I emailed Laly's office about it. No go...

Yes, very generous. 

Some of us are just better at booking, I guess.😉

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Those volunteers will probably be RCL shoreside staff, but that scenario has to be tested along with dropping off “luggage” and testing what the porter hs been instructed to do/say. I can see a scenario where the volunteer’s script is to pull up, drop off luggage, enter the terminal, present to the agent with a fever, and then they test whether the luggage can be found/returned or whether it finds its way onboard. 

The richness of disaster drills is that any and every conceivable permutation of issues will be tested at some time during the drill. The responders just don’t know how, when, or how often they will be stress-tested

I'd likevto think that Royal would be very appreciative of folks who might get asked to do that. I'm optimistic like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I often see balcony cabins less than OV now and a small enough uplift over interior it's a no brainer to go for the balcony.  Royal gets more money, I get a balcony.  Win-Win.

Exactly what I was referring to.

Especially on Neighborhood balconies

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

That cruise may not even happen.

I'm worried about our fall TA on Harmony

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, very generous. 

Some of us are just better at booking, I guess.😉

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That cruise may not even happen.

I'm worried about our fall TA on Harmony

We choose the itinerary we want. RCI sets the terms. Nothing to do with being better at booking. And...yes....I'm well aware that the Panama Canal cruise may not happen. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We choose the itinerary we want. RCI sets the terms. Nothing to do with being better at booking. And...yes....I'm well aware that the Panama Canal cruise may not happen. 

In 100+ cruises on Royal, we've never had a balcony discount denied. Don't know what else to say.

2 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Best not to say anything then. Your "Some of us are just better at booking comment" for one. 

Maybe you shouldn't complain about one cruise in your long history having your discount denied. It makes Pins look whiney.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Maybe you shouldn't complain about one cruise in your long history having your discount denied. It makes Pins look whiney.

Not complaining. Just made a comment to your post stating my recent experience. No need for your reference  to "whiney Pinns" either.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Not complaining. Just made a comment to your post stating my recent experience. I'll refrain from saying anything about how many of your posts come across. 

You had no problem commenting on FB😉

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'd likevto think that Royal would be very appreciative of folks who might get asked to do that. I'm optimistic like that.

If it helps get cruises sailing again, I'd take on whatever role they asked me to do, including driving down to the port knowing that my role was to drive back home the same day.

• Like 1