Immunity Passports: Corona Virus Seal

MikeandLinda2010

Has anyone read about this? I had read some countries are considering an Immunity Passport which would indicate that you had Corona or have received the vaccination.   I am not sure how I feel about this to be honest.   Can you imagine the mad crush this would put on the agency issuing the passports.   And is this a slippery slope we would be heading down??

This concept is nothing new. The International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis already exists and for yellow fever. Other restrictions requiring vaccinations for travel to and from certain countries is nothing new. The list of vaccinations required to obtain a US visa is quite long. There is no slippery slope argument to be had here. If you choose not to abide by the requirements to enter a foreign country, you can simply choose not to travel there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are several discussions here on Cruise Critic. It is not new...the concept has been around for a very long time. Check with someone who has been in the military, or possibly works for the State Department...likely they have had one. This would not be handled by the Passport Agency, rather it would  be a separate document that your doctor, or whomever gives the shot(s) would fill out.

• Like 1

I have the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) and carry my card with me on some of my trips to Africa or South America, depending on the country and their entry requirements. But, it's not part of my passport. To me, that is hugely beneficial...I have two citizenships and two passports, so having something attached to a passport would be a pain to me as I would want it in both of my passports (I use one more than the other, but I definitely use both). 

• Like 2

The vaccination booklet has been in use for decades.  Mine started in college days, with a visit to Student Health for shots before going on a Y work camp.  Added quite a variety of vaccinations for a trip to Nepal and other countries.  Without it, you didn't travel.

• Like 4

The OP has one take, that's fine, I don't share the slippery slope idea.  I also don't believe that the vax is really a cover for the Feds to inject nanotechnology into unsuspecting victims.  Lots of vax bs out there, do some critical thinking and research!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/details-emerging-on-vaccine-cards-that-will-accompany-inoculations/ar-BB1bBssQ?li=BBnbcA1

I've read that a digital add on to official passports is another way to confirm vaccination.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Is this alleged passport just a record of receiving the vaccine? The who/what/where/when?

Or does this alleged passport include lab test results for titer and/or antibody results?

There is no "immunity passport", real or alleged, yet, as you very well know. There are discussions if possible methods of vaccination certifications that are being explored by several different organizations. Nothing is official yet. The final decision may be digital or it may be a physical record such as the existing WHO card/ booket. If it is based on the latter, then the name of the vaccine, lot #, dose, and date would be required. I'm not aware of antibody titers ever being a requirement for the immunization record.

To date, antibody titers for COVID are not usually recommended, since they aren't a guaranteed indicator of immunity

Edited by mom says

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Is this alleged passport just a record of receiving the vaccine? The who/what/where/when?

Or does this alleged passport include lab test results for titer and/or antibody results?

What you call "alleged" has existed for decades in the form of International Vaccination Booklets (now gone) and International Yellow Fever Booklets (still around...we have them).  Those documents do not show any antibody or titer results and simply show the date and type of vaccination and where received.    But technology has moved a long way so I can see this changing.  China is already using Smartphone apps for documentation and tracing and Japan is now considering a tourist tracking app on any tourist's Smartphone with a requirement for daily health updates (via the app).

Hank

17 hours ago, mom says said:

The final decision may be digital or it may be a physical record such as the existing WHO card/ booket. If it is based on the latter, then the name of the vaccine, lot #, dose, and date would be required.

It may be a selfie of the vaccination procedure itself with the corresponding time/date/batch data visible in the photo.

Just be grateful we aren't getting the shots in the Gluteus Maximus.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

China is already using Smartphone apps for documentation and tracing and Japan is now considering a tourist tracking app on any tourist's Smartphone with a requirement for daily health updates (via the app).

It would be interesting to see where this might go...

Could the cruiselines possibly succumb to the technological advances and  potentially REQUIRE cruise passengers to carry a smartphone with facial recognition to support the use of new apps which help mitigate Covid-19 concerns?

I think it could happen and some of the cruise passengers who refuse to carry smartphones will have to capitulate if they wish to continue cruising.

7 hours ago, JRG said:

It would be interesting to see where this might go...

Could the cruiselines possibly succumb to the technological advances and  potentially REQUIRE cruise passengers to carry a smartphone with facial recognition to support the use of new apps which help mitigate Covid-19 concerns?

I think it could happen and some of the cruise passengers who refuse to carry smartphones will have to capitulate if they wish to continue cruising.

What is more interesting is that there are quite a few cruisers who do not even own smartphones.  We know a few of those folks (mostly on HAL) who simply do not see the need for smartphones.  It does sound like anyone visiting Japan in the next few years may well have to own a Smartphone since they are serious about requiring tourists to use a special app and make their daily health report.  I imagine China will also require every visitor to have a working Smartphone.  Perhaps this will become the new normal.

Hank

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I don't carry a smart phone and have no intention of ever doing so.  They are simply human tracking devices that offer services to people by way of compensation.   They will not be able to mandate that people have them.

When you say "they" just who do you mean.  The Peoples Republic of China government?  The Japanese government?  And who will stop them from a mandate?  

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JRG said:

Forcing people to spend hundreds of dollars (for a smartphone) doesn't seem like a likely scenario.  Especially if that's the only reason someone "has" to get one.

There are people who don't live through their phones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Forcing people to spend hundreds of dollars (for a smartphone) doesn't seem like a likely scenario.

No Problem. 

TA's deal with these types all the time and know exactly how to grease the skids.

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Forcing people to spend hundreds of dollars (for a smartphone) doesn't seem like a likely scenario.  Especially if that's the only reason someone "has" to get one.

There are people who don't live through their phones.

Should not be a problem, I have a new smartphone which I bought a few months ago for less than £70/$90. It is basically used to run the NHS COVID app which checks for proximity to infected people and reading forums etc when away from home. It will also run a cruise ship onboard information system but the cruises were cancelled 😟

I have another non smart mobile phone which I use for making calls and texting, much easier to use with BIG buttons, my old hands don't like touch screens.

if you are going to pay thousands for a cruise you can afford a 90 one off purchase?

Edited by davecttr

Once I am immunized I am keenly looking forward to proof of immunization being required to travel. It provides me and everyone else with another layer of safety with the added benefit of keeping anti-vaxx dummies off cruise ships and out of airports. It is also quite evident that most of the anti-mask dummies are also rabid anti-vaxxers. Having to manage around fewer stupid people while traveling makes for an improved quality of life.   

• Like 10

13 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I don't carry a smart phone and have no intention of ever doing so.  They are simply human tracking devices that offer services to people by way of compensation.   They will not be able to mandate that people have them.

You will want to keep wearing your tinfoil hat ——— “THEY” are already tracking you.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

Should not be a problem, I have a new smartphone which I bought a few months ago for less than £70/$90. It is basically used to run the NHS COVID app which checks for proximity to infected people and reading forums etc when away from home. It will also run a cruise ship onboard information system but the cruises were cancelled 😟

I have another non smart mobile phone which I use for making calls and texting, much easier to use with BIG buttons, my old hands don't like touch screens.

if you are going to pay thousands for a cruise you can afford a 90 one off purchase?

But is it a one-off purchase?  Our $40 flip phones have a monthly fee of $7.  We haven't turned them on since March.  I suspect a smart phone has an ongoing fee which we would find hard to justify.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

But is it a one-off purchase?  Our $40 flip phones have a monthly fee of $7.  We haven't turned them on since March.  I suspect a smart phone has an ongoing fee which we would find hard to justify.

Yes, a one off purchase and I did not install a SIM so you can't use it as a phone but it is excellent for the internet etc.

You can use it to make emergency calls without the SIM card and if connected to WIFI there are apps that allow you yo use it as a phone but I use my Douro with big buttons for that using a PAYG service

19 hours ago, K32682 said:

Once I am immunized I am keenly looking forward to proof of immunization being required to travel. It provides me and everyone else with another layer of safety with the added benefit of keeping anti-vaxx dummies off cruise ships and out of airports. It is also quite evident that most of the anti-mask dummies are also rabid anti-vaxxers. Having to manage around fewer stupid people while traveling makes for an improved quality of life.   

Totally agree!

• Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 12:16 AM, Hlitner said:

It does sound like anyone visiting Japan in the next few years may well have to own a Smartphone since they are serious about requiring tourists to use a special app and make their daily health report.

Please post your source for this info.  We just spoke to friends in Japan and as far as they know no such plan exists