Can Carnival have a few sailings just for those who have been Vaccinated?

evandbob

On 12/4/2020 at 7:39 AM, evandbob said:

Maybe some dates on a ship could be blocked off just for those who either received the vax or can provide proof of antibodies?  I would consider booking such a cruise, depending on the ship and itinerary.

This is a great idea.  Give the customers a choice.

6 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

This is a great idea.  Give the customers a choice.

Don't  think the customers will be given a choice.   I feel that the US based cruise lines will fall in line with the UK based company that is only letting vaccinated people cruise on their ships. This will alleviate many problems.  Reduced capacity percentage, masks, and social distancing will still be required till the end of 2021 and possibly into early 2022.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.  For now, it's all speculation.  You see NCL, RCCL, and Carnival "falling into line."  I see that being a disaster.  There's a very different mindset among US citizens and UK citizens (excepting maybe some of the citizens of the left coast and northeast).  Vastly different cultures.

It's not up to us, though.  I do think it would behoove the cruise lines to find out what their bases think.  On that note, I did get a survey (from Ipsos, I think, which means could've been any cruise line) asking whether I would get a test in order to cruise, how much I would pay for a COVID test before boarding, would I cruise if masks were required, whether my plans had changed since positive news had come out regarding vaccines, and a few other questions.  This was back in September, I think.  So, at least one of the lines we cruise is indeed trying to feel out the market regarding restrictions.

Edited by Incognito1
typo

24 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see.  For now, it's all speculation.  You see NCL, RCCL, and Carnival "falling into line."  I see that being a disaster.  There's a very different mindset among US citizens and UK citizens (excepting maybe some of the citizens of the left coast and northeast).  Vastly different cultures.

What do you see as being a disaster?  The fact that US cruisers may have to lose one of their freedoms and get vaccinated before going on a cruise? Getting vaccinated is step one towards cruising eventually getting back to how it was pre Covid.  Members of the "me generation" that are only concerned about themselves and will not adapt to whatever the new protocols are going to be can stay ashore.  

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 4

We are tired of not being able to travel without the fear of covid infection.  We will get the vaccine when offered so we can open up our lives again doing what we love.   If needing a proof of vaccine/antibodies certificate is what they require, that is what we will do.  No certificate, no boarding.  We are in a new situation, and may need a new set of "rules" to get life back the way it was before.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pe4all said:

We are tired of not being able to travel without the fear of covid infection.  We will get the vaccine when offered so we can open up our lives again doing what we love.   If needing a proof of vaccine/antibodies certificate is what they require, that is what we will do.  No certificate, no boarding.  We are in a new situation, and may need a new set of "rules" to get life back the way it was before.  

Same here.  My husband and I are ready to travel again and also visit family members.  We are waiting until our group becomes eligible to make vaccine appointments.  I check every day.  One of my elderly relatives got his first shot a couple of weeks ago and a coworker's daughter has received both (she works in a children's hospital).  We've managed to go nearly a year without getting covid, so we are eager to get the vaccine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Same here.  My husband and I are ready to travel again and also visit family members.  We are waiting until our group becomes eligible to make vaccine appointments.  I check every day.  One of my elderly relatives got his first shot a couple of weeks ago and a coworker's daughter has received both (she works in a children's hospital).  We've managed to go nearly a year without getting covid, so we are eager to get the vaccine.

By the time you get it they will have the booster for all the variants. Waiting, sometimes has its privileges. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, Stick93 said:

By the time you get it they will have the booster for all the variants. Waiting, sometimes has its privileges. 

As far as I know, the two available vaccines and the upcoming third one work for the variants.  I think because they target fundamental features of the virus.

Here's a preliminary report

Wall Street Journal:  Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Works Against Mutations Found in U.K, South Africa Variants, Lab Study Finds

Edited by mpk
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, mpk said:

As far as I know, the two available vaccines and the upcoming third one work for the variants.  I think because they target fundamental features of the virus.

Here's a preliminary report

Wall Street Journal:  Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Works Against Mutations Found in U.K, South Africa Variants, Lab Study Finds

Both DW and I heard on the news yesterday that Moderna was working on a booster for one of the variants, though I do not remember for which one.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:17 PM, SNJCruisers said:

The fact that US cruisers may have to lose one of their freedoms and get vaccinated before going on a cruise? Getting vaccinated is step one towards cruising eventually getting back to how it was pre Covid.  Members of the "me generation" that are only concerned about themselves and will not adapt to whatever the new protocols are going to be can stay ashore.  

Wish I was young enough again to be in the "Me Generation," but thanks for trying to make a little jab there because you disagree with a point.

Cruising is not going back to it was as before.  We each need to decide what we're willing to put up with and pay for.  For me, I'm not willing to "lose one of [my] freedoms and get vaccinated before going on a cruise."  We have several planned for 2021 and 2022 (with several canceled already), and we'll take the money and go see the Grand Canyon, Wisconsin Dells, Graceland, or the Florida Keys.  Maybe it's better we spend that money in the US right now, anyway.  Your choice may be different.  As long as we each have a choice, it's all good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

We have several planned for 2021 and 2022 (with several canceled already), and we'll take the money and go see the Grand Canyon, Wisconsin Dells, Graceland, or the Florida Keys.

Been to all four. Some numerous times.

Skip the Dells.  Wisconsin is a FABULOUS place to visit for literally anything you might want from festivals to great restaurants and culture to amazing golf to world class fishing.  But the Dells would be the bottom of that list (excepting the natural feature of the WI river.)

Enjoy and stop by my house for a cold beer lakeside. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

For me, I'm not willing to "lose one of [my] freedoms and get vaccinated before going on a cruise."  We have several planned for 2021 and 2022 (with several canceled already), and we'll take the money and go Your choice may be different.  As long as we each have a choice, it's all good.

Getting vaccinated could be a prerequisite to going on a cruise in the future.  Nobody knows if it'll be a short term or possible permanent requirement. 

Since you have a choice to not get vaccinated and spend your vacation dollars elsewhere,  then I guess it truly is all good. 

• Like 1

I will get this vaccine in my eyeball if it allows me to cruise again. So will my family. And we live in the south, not the northeast or west coast. So not everyone who doesn’t live in those  oddly specific regions isn’t stupid. 🙄

• Like 1

Instead of trying to reward those who were fortunate and Blessed enough to receive the vaccines early (65+ and essential workers, etc.) I would vote to try and ensure that our total population gets vaccinated ASAP. Then we all can get back to Cruising. All dollars spend and count toward needed revenue.

After we are all vaccinated please keep wearing those masks. 

• Like 1

Please everyone should remember that max immunity (as much as the vax can give) begins to occur about 2 or 3 weeks after receiving the 2nd shot.

It's not like I got my shot, I can party now.  

And "normalcy" won't even begin to return until 80% of the population gets vaxxed or develops antibodies. WE made it this far, let's hope a false sense of security won't bring hazardous results.  Keep on masking!!

20 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Please everyone should remember that max immunity (as much as the vax can give) begins to occur about 2 or 3 weeks after receiving the 2nd shot.

It's not like I got my shot, I can party now.  

And "normalcy" won't even begin to return until 80% of the population gets vaxxed or develops antibodies. WE made it this far, let's hope a false sense of security won't bring hazardous results.  Keep on masking!!

DH and I are scheduled for #2 in a little over a week.  I set 3/1/2021 as my "rebirthday".

The cruiselines could make it simple...no vaccine...no cruise.  Masks...optional.  Social distancing...strongly encouraged.

Well I'm a COVID nurse, was out of work for 5 weeks in November +, had my antibodies checked last month and I still have them, got my second dose of Pfizer today, and me and my mask and hand sanitizer are ready!  Whenever the world is . . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

DH and I are scheduled for #2 in a little over a week.  I set 3/1/2021 as my "rebirthday".

The cruiselines could make it simple...no vaccine...no cruise.  Masks...optional.  Social distancing...strongly encouraged.

That may work on a Viking river cruise type deal but it is the antithesis of Carnival's whole business model of mass-market cruising. The economics wouldn't add up. They use economy of scale. I doubt vaccines will ever be required (it would serve no purpose) but even if they did, they certainly wouldn't do so until the majority of the public (customer base) has been vaccinated and they are readily available. I suspect the masks and social distancing will eventually be optional once vaccines are no longer rationed and fully available on demand. Mandating vaccines would be pointless (individual responsibility/risk will naturally work itself out at that point) at that juncture and opens another level of potential bureaucracy and oversight, it also exposes them to potential risk/liability issues.

It would be a can of worms that would be all but impossible to walk back once they're ensnared in its entanglement and could even lead to further expectations/standards that don't make a lot of sense (businesswise) from a fiscal and liability standpoint (particularly if no other industries/institutions are employing the same standards). Most businesses try to avoid the yoke of regulation/oversight; self-imposed regulation is generally a terrible idea and only ever used to shield from greater external scrutiny/regulation/oversight (defensive mitigation).          

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That may work on a Viking river cruise type deal but it is the antithesis of Carnival's whole business model of mass-market cruising. The economics wouldn't add up. They use economy of scale. I doubt vaccines will ever be required (it would serve no purpose) but even if they did, they certainly wouldn't do so until the majority of the public (customer base) has been vaccinated and they are readily available. I suspect the masks and social distancing will eventually be optional once vaccines are no longer rationed and fully available on demand. Mandating vaccines would be pointless (individual responsibility/risk will naturally work itself out at that point) at that juncture and opens another level of potential bureaucracy and oversight, it also exposes them to potential risk/liability issues.

It would be a can of worms that would be all but impossible to walk back once they're ensnared in its entanglement and could even lead to further expectations/standards that don't make a lot of sense (businesswise) from a fiscal and liability standpoint (particularly if no other industries/institutions are employing the same standards). Most businesses try to avoid the yoke of regulation/oversight; self-imposed regulation is generally a terrible idea and only ever used to shield from greater external scrutiny/regulation/oversight (defensive mitigation).          

People getting sick on their ships absolutely matter. It can force them to change itinerary or they could be left waiting on on a country to let them dock like last year. It affects everyone. Just like at home, where hospitalizations strain the medical system. 

On 1/25/2021 at 6:27 AM, pe4all said:

Good post!

9 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

People getting sick on their ships absolutely matter. It can force them to change itinerary or they could be left waiting on on a country to let them dock like last year. It affects everyone. Just like at home, where hospitalizations strain the medical system. 

Covid isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Even with the vaccine. People WILL get sick on the ships, just as they do in schools, work sites, grocery stores, churches, hospitals, dental offices etc etc etc. Community infection is happening everyday/all day. The vaccine lowers odds of infection and lowers risks of major complications from the highest risk groups but DOSE NOT eliminate or cure covid. Mitigating transmissions by environmental controls (ie masking, social distancing etc) is one thing.

Requiring vaccines is a government function that entails ongoing compliance/verification that all cost money and can also open you up to a new standard/liability. Unless the government mandates it, in order to leaver your house, don't expect any non-governmental business to voluntarily burden themselves with higher costs and increased liability. What other organization/business is requiring a covid vaccine? None! Even schools (essentially a government organization in the USA) provide options/exemptions (aka excuses) to opt out.

There is virtually no mandatory vaccine requirement anywhere. Strong recommendations? Sure. Mandatory compliance? Nope. Heck, we have nearly half of one of California biggest counties Sheriff's office, including custodian officers (jailers) refusing to be vaccinated. Large swaths of healthcare workers as well. Again, why would a private business/organization burden themselves with these same issues if even governmental and other large organizations don't/can't compel compliance? It sounds great in theory but makes zero sense from a business standpoint (fiscally and unknown exposure risk).              

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Covid isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Even with the vaccine. People WILL get sick on the ships, just as they do in schools, work sites, grocery stores, churches, hospitals, dental offices etc etc etc. Community infection is happening everyday/all day. The vaccine lowers odds of infection and lowers risks of major complications from the highest risk groups but DOSE NOT eliminate or cure covid. Mitigating transmissions by environmental controls (ie masking, social distancing etc) is one thing.

Requiring vaccines is a government function that entails ongoing compliance/verification that all cost money and can also open you up to a new standard/liability. Unless the government mandates it, in order to leaver your house, don't expect any non-governmental business to voluntarily burden themselves with higher costs and increased liability. What other organization/business is requiring a covid vaccine? None! Even schools (essentially a government organization in the USA) provide options/exemptions (aka excuses) to opt out.

There is virtually no mandatory vaccine requirement anywhere. Strong recommendations? Sure. Mandatory compliance? Nope. Heck, we have nearly half of one of California biggest counties Sheriff's office, including custodian officers (jailers) refusing to be vaccinated. Large swaths of healthcare workers as well. Again, why would a private business/organization burden themselves with these same issues if even governmental and other large organizations don't/can't compel compliance? It sounds great in theory but makes zero sense from a business standpoint (fiscally and unknown exposure risk).              

The CEO of United Airlines (and the author of the article I am posting) disagree with you. And the CEO of United Airlines thinks that if employers would mandate vaccines, it would help the travel industry by getting more people eligible to travel.

With Just 2 Sentences, the CEO of United Airlines Just Taught a Bold Lesson in Leadership. (Why Won't Anyone Else Do This?) (msn.com)

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The CEO of United Airlines (and the author of the article I am posting) disagree with you. And the CEO of United Airlines thinks that if employers would mandate vaccines, it would help the travel industry by getting more people eligible to travel.

With Just 2 Sentences, the CEO of United Airlines Just Taught a Bold Lesson in Leadership. (Why Won't Anyone Else Do This?) (msn.com)

This proves exactly what I've said.

"To be clear, this isn't United Airlines policy, yet. (A company spokesperson said United is "strongly considering" mandatory vaccines.) Frankly, there aren't enough doses yet to make this policy possible."

When there is, they'll be no reason to make it mandatory (things will work themselves out naturally). Makes zero sense for a company to jump the gun and hamstring themselves. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1