VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

If anyone lives in Ohio, I had a really easy time signing up my mom at Discount Drug Mart.  I registered her on the website on Tues, received the email to pick a time yesterday, and she got the first dose this afternoon.  There was no waiting and lots of available time slots on the website. 

Also, if you're not in a group that can get them now, you can still get registered.

• Like 2

Received my first shot through my health care provider hospital.  One minute wait to turn into the parking lot, two minutes to confirm registration, and two minutes to remove my jacket and receive the shot.  Total of five minutes from arrival to shot and I did not have to leave my car. 

I am so impressed with non-government entities making these shots happen.

• Like 1

Update,  as a first responder,  finally getting my first shot this Saturday.  Problem for our county is supply,  or lack thereof.  Population of 235,000 and our county has received 1,200 doses for the last 2 weeks.  At this rate,  it's going to be a long time before DH gets his although he could qualify with the new guidelines.     ☹️

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

From what we can  gather information  is that few states have adequate supplies  . There gas been a huge let down in the numbers  of vaccine shots available & actually given out  through out the  USA .The numer I recall is that 20 million people would be vaccinated before end of 2020 & that did not even come close to happening  

As of today's CDC update, California has a 2,745,625 dose surplus. The problem is getting it distributed within the state. We had an update in NC today and we get our resupply deliveries on Wednesday, so they want the vaccination stations running out Monday or Tuesday. Any doses getting near expiration are redistributed to locations with an immediate demand. Even with that effort, we have more than 500,000 surplus doses on hand.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcases-updates%2Fcases-in-us.html#vaccinations 

I hope some doses come available to you shortly!

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It seems NY state, at least my county, is not vaccinating non-residents like Florida. The site my DW registered us on says it is for county residents. Participants are supposed to either bring a mortgate statement or a rent receipt.

An executive order was just signed in Florida limiting it to state residents. 

• Like 1

We use Scripps for our medical care and are over 65, and not health care workers. Monday night we received emails from Scripps for vaccine sign up. Able to sign up for 1 time slot (after 1 frustrating hour online), 2 more hours and no luck getting a time for DH. As mentioned (again through the Scripps portal), was able to secure a time for him on Saturday. It was dumb luck and perseverance.   

59 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

We use Scripps for our medical care and are over 65, and not health care workers. Monday night we received emails from Scripps for vaccine sign up. Able to sign up for 1 time slot (after 1 frustrating hour online), 2 more hours and no luck getting a time for DH. As mentioned (again through the Scripps portal), was able to secure a time for him on Saturday. It was dumb luck and perseverance.   

Thanks  .interesting that Scripps had the vaccine  . However ,no one at the county level would tell us that . Personally , I believe that all levels of government do not have a clue how to handle distribution of the vaccine ,at least in California   . So if a person is not under a scripps health plan then they would not be able to have Scripps deliver the vaccine to them  . It is very frustrating to say the least to the entire nation . when politicians get involved  as usual it gets  messed up . Better if business handled the physical distribution ,imo

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

BTW  the state of Calif is going to keep trying to load more taxes on property owners  because of lost revenue from covid  .I donate to the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association  to stop the thieves in Sacramento . If they were ever to pass  more taxrs against home owners , the state population would get a whole lot smaller  with in  one year .People would move to more favorable tax states ,We lived in Ca for  55  years & I have seen a steady decline in this state  .We came here from the Bronx NY when I was 27 on a company move to the Los angeles area

33 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

How is that going to work for all the snow birds???

Good question.

A non American person owns property in Florida, paying taxes and paying for property management fees, likely also US tax implications. 

Humm, unless the "executive order" specifically states US citizens only, it could be null and void. Hummm again, time will tell of course, time tells all things

5 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Good question.

A non American person owns property in Florida, paying taxes and paying for property management fees, likely also US tax implications. 

Humm, unless the "executive order" specifically states US citizens only, it could be null and void. Hummm again, time will tell of course, time tells all things

imo if you  have a home & live in Florida  part of the year & pay your taxes ,then you should benefit from what the state does 

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

How is that going to work for all the snow birds???

If you are a Florida resident, you can get the vaccine in Florida. Must show proof of residency that shows name and address - utility bill, rental receipt, vehicle registration. Even a FL resident Disney pass has been mentioned as being acceptable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Good question.

Florida Governor regarding this subject yesterday: 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/vaccine-tourism-florida-new-york/index.html

• Like 1

Here's how smoothly getting my vaccine went this morning.

I had been told to not arrive earlier than 9:30 for our 9:45 appointments. Not being sure of traffic, parking. etc. we got to the registration area (in a protected corner by a mall entrance) at 9:15. They had marshals asking for appointment times and not letting people who were early get to the registration table - we never saw more than 2-4 people in the registration line. We choose to wait inside the mall rather than mill around (socially distancing) outside or wait in the car.

At 9:30 we went back outside - no others in line. Got our paperwork and a (sanitized) color coded card. Only 10 of each color. While we completed the paperwork, the group before us was called to the staging area. When they were allowed in, our group took their places on the 10 "Stand here" circles.

Soon we went inside, had our paperwork and IDs checked at 10 stations in a small empty store and waited for the line to progress. Again, there were "Stand here" circles that led to the larger empty store where the vaccines were being given. A short wait while the group before us were vaccinated - some finished a few minutes before others and sat in chairs. As a group they had to wait a minute or so before space was available in the observation area - a curtained off large area in the mall just outside the second store. The chairs were disinfected between groups.

Then our group went in, received vaccines and waited for space to move on. In the observation area each color group had 2 rows of 5 facing chairs. There were medical personnel checking on us, answering questions, etc. At 10:30 we were released, turned in our colored cards and left the mall. We go back in 3 weeks for the second shot.

Appointment times and organizing people into groups of 10 made the process flow very smoothly. In talking with one worker, I learned there had been only a few minor adjustments made since the site opened on Tuesday. Compared to what is happening in other FL counties, Marion seems to have thought out this part well. Now if only more doses can be made available. Of course, all individuals, counties, states and nations all want as much of the limited output as they can get. Not everyone worldwide can get it at the same time.

Hope everyone can get the vaccine soon and has no problems.

Stay safe. Continue to wear a mask.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

BTW  the state of Calif is going to keep trying to load more taxes on property owners  because of lost revenue from covid  .I donate to the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association  to stop the thieves in Sacramento . If they were ever to pass  more taxrs against home owners , the state population would get a whole lot smaller  with in  one year .People would move to more favorable tax states ,We lived in Ca for  55  years & I have seen a steady decline in this state  .We came here from the Bronx NY when I was 27 on a company move to the Los angeles area

I believe that this has little to do with the topic (vaccine availability) and would be considered to be political.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The hub I went to for my vaccine, I arrived at 7:40 and was finished by 8:00.  I could not believe how efficient.  It was a drive through set up.  Now getting the second dose may be a bit more troublesome.

We had out first vaccinations today. DW and I were wondering how they do drive throughs as we expected them to make us wait before driving off. And there was a mandatory 15 minute wait before you could leave the building and drive away. This was to make sure there was no immediate adverse reaction.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We had out first vaccinations today. DW and I were wondering how they do drive throughs as we expected them to make us wait before driving off. And there was a mandatory 15 minute wait before you could leave the building and drive away. This was to make sure there was no immediate adverse reaction.

With the full drive through there is a section of the parking lot for the designated wait.  There is a paramedic attendant assigned to the lot.  They mark the windshield with a time you can leave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Because they are still prioritizing essential workers, as well as nursing home residents. Remember each county can fine tune their priorities a little.

In some instances, essential workers are still classified as 65 or older or employees that are high-risk.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

With the full drive through there is a section of the parking lot for the designated wait.  There is a paramedic attendant assigned to the lot.  They mark the windshield with a time you can leave. 

Thank you for answering my question and satisfying my curiosity.

You can see from the above CVS that the  numbers of available vaccines is far less  than the  Federal government had promised .They also promised 20 million shots by the end of 2020 ;which also never happened .Thus ,we can not believe any thing until we are notified by either the county of San diego or CVS or Walgreens that the vaccines are available in our city . 

The  amounts of vaccine   are highly exaggerated  at this time in the USA imo

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

You can see from the above CVS that the  numbers of available vaccines is far less  than the  Federal government had promised .They also promised 20 million shots by the end of 2020 ;which also never happened .Thus ,we can not believe any thing until we are notified by either the county of San diego or CVS or Walgreens that the vaccines are available in our city . 

Texas only updates once a week but as of last week they have vaccinated over 1 million people.  NONE of those were in pharmacies.  They have asked the pharmacist to only administer the nursing home vaccines.  The hospitals are just now starting to administer vaccine to the riskiest patients in their pool.  The vast majority of vaccines are being distributed at state-sanctioned public hubs monitored by the county health departments.  

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The number of vaccines distributed as of Thursday, nationally, was just under 40 million doses. Just under 50% of those doses have been put in arms. This is from Johns Hopkins.

CVS is but one of many distributers. Health groups like Kaiser have been given large numbers of doses. In California, others, like Walgreens and the Safeway/related stores, will also be large distributers.

My wife and I just received our first vaccines two days ago in Dare County, NC.  Unbelievably well organized and efficient.  In and out in 20 minutes including the 15 sitting after the shots.  Every county vaccine site should be run as well. 

• Like 2