VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

5 minutes ago, fred111 said:

My wife and I just received our first vaccines two days ago in Dare County, NC.  Unbelievably well organized and efficient.  In and out in 20 minutes including the 15 sitting after the shots.  Every county vaccine site should be run as well. 

We are currently in Hyde county (Ocracoke) so hello to our northern neighbor!  The virus is rampant here with over 22% of test coming back positive.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

We are currently in Hyde county (Ocracoke) so hello to our northern neighbor!  The virus is rampant here with over 22% of test coming back positive.

That is not good .Here in San Diego county ,recorded the highest daily deaths  Jan 21 m2021 ever in one day  at 79  .It's scary  out there .This is why we only go out for essentials  :doctors ,grocers & banks  & we have masks on & a shield over the masks when we do go out . Problem is breathing through all this  .so we walk very slow .We could never do this on any cruise ship . Our first of 4  new cruises is Feb 2nd 2022 on Koningsdam . Hoping that all will be OK by then 

Still no word on vaccine available to us ,even though we are both 82 with undelrying medical conditions  .We are very disappointed in the vaccine roll out here  in San diego county ,Calif  .  Also ,you need some time after the shots for your body to build up anti bodies even after the 2 shots .We heat almost a month for the antibodies  

Edited by mcrcruiser

On top of the above we are going to get rain  & heavy at times for a week ;which can be very hazardous in certain areas of San diego county & city  . Yes the next 3 monrhs are our rainy season  through March ;as well as the heavy snow packs in the High sierra mountains which has a lot to do with our available drinking water here is California . The Colorado river  water is shared by AZ ,NV & CA

On 1/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, mame42 said:

Ochsner Louisiana cancelled thousands of appointments for next week when zero of the expected number of doses materialized this week.

My mom was cancelled too. We used the website and found availability in Houma and drove out there and got the Pfizer 1st dose last week. There were even appts available on Napoleon Ave for Moderna last week but she had preference for Pfizer due to smaller shot volume. If you haven’t gotten it, check the website multiple times a day as appt availability goes up and down constantly. 

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is not good .Here in San Diego county ,recorded the highest daily deaths  Jan 21 m2021 ever in one day  at 79  .It's scary  out there .This is why we only go out for essentials  :doctors ,grocers & banks  & we have masks on & a shield over the masks when we do go out . Problem is breathing through all this  .so we walk very slow .We could never do this on any cruise ship . Our first of 4  new cruises is Feb 2nd 2022 on Koningsdam . Hoping that all will be OK by then 

Still no word on vaccine available to us ,even though we are both 82 with undelrying medical conditions  .We are very disappointed in the vaccine roll out here  in San diego county ,Calif  .  Also ,you need some time after the shots for your body to build up anti bodies even after the 2 shots .We heat almost a month for the antibodies  

Go to Petco Park for your shot. Several of my 75+ aged neighbors have received it there. As of Thursday, the wait for the drive up was 2 hours (with an appointment). However, there was no line for walk ups. You can drive down and park nearby, then walk in. I'm under 60 so I have a long wait.

In Canada it is a national disgrace. We have virtually none for the entire country.

It is so bad in Ontario that our Premier Ford asked President Biden for vaccine on Thursday! That is a total slap in the face to our federal govt.

The Cdn feds arranged a "deal" with a company in China (yes China folks) to supply the majority of a vaccine for Canada. China stopped the initial vaccine from being sent to Dalhousie U (Halifax) for trials. Then the company could not get details worked out, so the deal died. By that point Canada was so far behind other countries ordering from accredited firms that we have nothing now. We got some from Pfizer a while back and nothing since.

So Canada is dead in the water which is why many Canadians have gone to Florida for vaccine. Iunderstand new rules were rightly put in place by Florida this past week.

Our Cdn federal government is totally incompetent and negligent in handling the national vaccine supply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

Go to Petco Park for your shot. Several of my 75+ aged neighbors have received it there. As of Thursday, the wait for the drive up was 2 hours (with an appointment). However, there was no line for walk ups. You can drive down and park nearby, then walk in. I'm under 60 so I have a long wait.

We can not walk far at all  with limited mobility .  We will wait until the vaccine is available closer to us . Petco is also far  from Encinitas  .

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We can not walk far at all  with limited mobility .  We will wait until the vaccine is available closer to us . Petco is also far  from Encinitas  .

It’s 30 miles from Encinitas to Petco.  There are plenty of drive up appts available.  Check out https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/vaccines/COVID-19-VaxEvents.html.  You book appointments on this website.  No walking involved.

49 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

It’s 30 miles from Encinitas to Petco.  There are plenty of drive up appts available.  Check out https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/vaccines/COVID-19-

52 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

It’s 30 miles from Encinitas to Petco.  There are plenty of drive up appts available.  Check out https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/vaccines/COVID-19-VaxEvents.html.  You book appointments on this website.  No walking involved.

VaxEvents.html.  You book appointments on this website.  No walking involved.

Check it out further  because it said vaccines not readily available  .  We are not traveling & stay in mostly because of our ages 82  with underlying medical  . We will wait until the vaccines become  more readily available  instead of scrambling  to get it 

5 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

In Canada it is a national disgrace. We have virtually none for the entire country.

It is so bad in Ontario that our Premier Ford asked President Biden for vaccine on Thursday! That is a total slap in the face to our federal govt.

The Cdn feds arranged a "deal" with a company in China (yes China folks) to supply the majority of a vaccine for Canada. China stopped the initial vaccine from being sent to Dalhousie U (Halifax) for trials. Then the company could not get details worked out, so the deal died. By that point Canada was so far behind other countries ordering from accredited firms that we have nothing now. We got some from Pfizer a while back and nothing since.

So Canada is dead in the water which is why many Canadians have gone to Florida for vaccine. Iunderstand new rules were rightly put in place by Florida this past week.

Our Cdn federal government is totally incompetent and negligent in handling the national vaccine supply.

Totally agree with you.  Just boggles my mind what Trudeau did.  I bet he and his family already got their 'private' shots.  Then later he'll organize a photo op - what else:classic_biggrin: - of getting a bogus shot of saline.  Premier Ford also called Pfizer begging for shots.  Good for him.  At least he's trying.

Hi Sue from Canada.

Thanks for your post. Yes fancy socks will be at the head of the line, of course and having pictures taken while my 93 year old dad sits and waits for a vaccine.

Cruising will be affected due to Canada's federal government ineptitude and adoration of China. 

I suspect the Alaska cruise season will not occur as Canadian's will be so far behind the USA etc in vaccinations. I also recommend that President Biden keep the border closed with Canada due to our poor vaccine performance (not that I want that cause I have a new Porsche and I want to get driving south).

Often on cruise ships up to 1/3 of the guests are Canadian, with the national failure to vaccinate, that could put a damper on any cruising involving Canadians.

Sue, stay well dear lady.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, sansterre said:

We and thousands of others are about to travel 2 hours (each way) to get a vaccine.

Friday morning I was on the Publix website from 6:30-8:15, willing to travel 2 hours (each way) to get our vaccine.  Apparently many people were ahead of me.  The page refreshed every minute and after 90 minutes, the only stores will available appointment times for next week were in the Panhandle, 5 hours (each way).  So I will try again at 6 a.m. this coming Wednesday.

I wish the state would have the vaccine in Publix stores in our county and neighboring counties.  Or they could make the vaccine available at CVS and Walgrens throughout the state.

We live in Ga and in our area there was virtually no info available about vaccine availability.  We have a weekly newspaper, and in the issue of Jan. 13 there was an article about a walk-in clinic at the hospital.  I called and called, but no answer.  I went to the hospital fb page and posed a question and was finally answered.  Have not heard a thing.  But the medical group where we get our care sent an email with link to sign up for an appt, printout of the consent form and the v-safe website, etc.  I signed us both up.  About a week later I got a text saying appts were available at one of their clinics, and to reply SCHEDULE if interested.  I did, and got an appt for yesterday at 2pm, and appt for second shot Feb. 20.  My sister wondered when she would hear - and got the beep ten minutes later.  Our appts were 20 min. apart.  We went yesterday, and it was quite well organized.  A table outside the clinic had a person checking we had our consent forms and marked off our appts.  Went in, were taken immediately and both were in the waiting room with 15 min timers before 2pm.  The clinic location is 30 miles from where we live.  If you really think it is important, you do what you gotta do.  (we are 76 & 77)

I have to say though, that we are not a high risk area, apparently.  With a county pop. of roughly 63,400 we have only had 2138 positives and only 36 deaths.  That is a positive rate of 3.3%  and less than 2% of those have died.  Our population id pretty good about masking up.  EM

• Like 1

This covid virus  can not be defeated unless every one wears masks &  observes social distancing  . The other shoe that has been dropped is the  reliability on large quantities of vaccines &  each States government heads having a well thought out plan as to how to get those vaccines to   CVS .Walgreens & any where else  that has the ability   of proper  cold storage  & ability to  give the shots  .What comes to mind are Walmart's with pharmacies  & super  markets that have pharmacies  .Certainly there are enough of these outlets  in the USA  to cover all needs  .The let down imo  are :  insufficient quantities of vaccines into the pipeline &  inefficient  distribution plans by States management teams for distribution by population bases to the cities & counties  . Then onto the local stores with in the cities ,towns & rural areas

DD (who lives with us, and "takes care" of us) advised us yesterday that there is a new recommendation that everyone should now be wearing N95 masks.  She ordered some on line (C$120 for 20 masks) - I feel a bit guilty as I know they should go to medical personnel, but if they arrive, I will wear one.  Also a face shield - that is, when and if we go out.  We want to stay as healthy as possible until we get vaccinated.  We may get ours around the end of February, if more vaccine comes in.

Ultimately it is going to take the vaccines to kill off this virus here in the USA & around the world .  For the time being masking ,shields over masks  ,use of rubber gloves as need be  would keep the  numbers of cases ,hospital stays & deaths down to a minimum .

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

DD (who lives with us, and "takes care" of us) advised us yesterday that there is a new recommendation that everyone should now be wearing N95 masks.  She ordered some on line (C$120 for 20 masks) - I feel a bit guilty as I know they should go to medical personnel, but if they arrive, I will wear one.  Also a face shield - that is, when and if we go out.  We want to stay as healthy as possible until we get vaccinated.  We may get ours around the end of February, if more vaccine comes in.

The problem with N95 masks are that they are not re useable   .We bought washable masks with layers of cloth,2 layers   .More than one layer which is important . I also bought plastic shields on Amazon ,  10 shields for $16   .There is no question that using the mask we have & the shields keeps us safe  .I wash my mask in hot water & use soap every time we come back home .It drys over night & ready for re use the next day . I also have on me a Air Tamer which I found keeps me from getting bronchitis  .Pilots use them to clean the air around their nose & mouth . Google air tamer to see where you can buy them . They re available from Texas & no sales tax 

At the moment, we are using cloth masks with a replaceable (paper?) filter, and under that we wear a surgical-type paper mask, so I figure about 5 or 6 layers in all!  Every little bit helps.  My doctor makes you wear an N95 mask in his office, but I'm not quite sure if it's because he's scared of his patients, or if he's protecting them, as he works two afternoons a week in the Covid Assessment Centre...

Forgot to say, our Chief Medical Officer for Canada, Dr. Tam, said to use polypropylene filters - actually that is interfacing from the fabric shops.  I plan to get DD to get some, and I will cut them to the same size as the paper filters.  Then they will be washable.

@VMax1700, it is understandable about Pfizer ramping up and they are probably  even having problems getting the vials, and I know some areas are having difficulties getting syringes.

Edited by Vict0riann

The distribution of vaccine does seem to be a world wide problem.  The reduced supply of Pfizer vaccine in the coming weeks is probably to be expected for all brands, as they ramp up production and try to manage ingredient purchases and the supply chains.  I am sure that we will see greatly improved supply in the coming months and the temporary reduced supply while they 'tweak' the processes is to be expected.

3 hours ago, sansterre said:

Friday morning I was on the Publix website from 6:30-8:15, willing to travel 2 hours (each way) to get our vaccine.  Apparently many people were ahead of me.  The page refreshed every minute and after 90 minutes, the only stores will available appointment times for next week were in the Panhandle, 5 hours (each way).  So I will try again at 6 a.m. this coming Wednesday.

I wish the state would have the vaccine in Publix stores in our county and neighboring counties.  Or they could make the vaccine available at CVS and Walgrens throughout the state.

I also spent a lot of time on the Publix site without success.  Night before last my neighbor called and told me about availability at the Orange County Convention Center. We went on and were successful booking myself and DH for #1 and #2  shots. You have to register with the site. There is a link on the WESH website. 

51 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I just wonder what you consider cold. Here this AM is was 14 degrees and with the wind blowing probably felt more like ZERO. Now that's cold!

Now that is cold!  Here it was 32 and 20 mph winds.