The perfect sandwich ?

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Really, really comfortable sun loungers,  no crowds, quiet, great views, and afternoon tea. We think it's worth it, especially for when we were in inside cabins. 

Fair enough. Tried an inside cabin once, claustrophobic. So went to ocean view cabins then the last dozen or so cruises it was balcony or mini suite, you can never go back from the latter. Like business class on an aircraft you can never go back to economy,

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Fair enough. Tried an inside cabin once, claustrophobic. So went to ocean view cabins then the last dozen or so cruises it was balcony or mini suite, you can never go back from the latter. Like business class on an aircraft you can never go back to economy,

We've been going between inside cabins and balcony cabins ever since we started cruising without any problems. We rarely spend much time in our cabin if the ship has nice public areas like Princess. On Celebrity we had balcony cabins as then we got the drinks package included - it worked out only marginally dearer.

However from now on we only have balcony cabins booked, just in case there is a virus outbreak onboard. I don't think I could stand getting stuck in an inside cabin for days on end.

It is harder to go back to economy class after business class, especially as we're older and less able to handle the discomforts. But we've had to do it when we wanted to travel long distance as business fares became ridiculously expensive on most airlines.

My most memorable sandwich was probably a set of bao buns I had a pop store at the local food festival. Nice fluffy buns with beautiful spiced meat and fresh herbs 😋. Otherwise I can't say I have had sandwiches that blew my mind 🤔. The most unusual has to be the Japanese fruit sandwich which I did enjoy but in a way it is more like a cake than sandwich. In Japan I also tried the mythical convenience store egg sandwich😂. I will say they do it better than any I had in Australia. I think it is the Kewpie that makes the difference. In Miami I had a Cubano that I enjoyed and around Serbia I did find their Chevapi rolls to be tasty enough with lots of raw onion. The one we had in Nis was my favourite. 

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Pure luxury there, two slices of bread, Bunnings only give you the one folded in half, up here.

Just ask for a doubler mate - 2 snags, 2 bits of bread and pay double, all to a good cause. I am not a big Bunnings fan, probably go there about every 3 months, but when I do I take a couple of slices of GF bread for the snag (s), they don't give me a discount though for using my own bread, lol.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, lyndarra said:

The best were those I had on Maasdam returning from New Zealand last February.  King prawns on fresh breadrolls, with heaps of butter, which we made ourselves on a fresh seafood day in the buffet.  It's amazing how many prawns can be crammed into one small bread roll.

It IS amazing just how many king prawns on of those rolls could fit - was a favourite lunchtime treat of ours too on the Maasdam ( we sailed from Sydney to Auckland in Feb last year) .

On 1/20/2021 at 9:03 AM, lyndarra said:

The best were those I had on Maasdam returning from New Zealand last February.  King prawns on fresh breadrolls, with heaps of butter, which we made ourselves on a fresh seafood day in the buffet.  It's amazing how many prawns can be crammed into one small bread roll.

Fresh prawns, fresh bread, real butter lashings of vinegar, yuuummmmm

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Fresh prawns, fresh bread, real butter lashings of vinegar, yuuummmmm

Thousand Island dressing on prawns, no vinegar, save that for ye olde fish and chips mate. I might have a big prawn cocktail for dinner, got frozen prawns, cos lettuce and thousand island, lubbly jubbly. Washed down with a well chilled bottle of Houghtons classic dry white.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thousand Island dressing on prawns, no vinegar, save that for ye olde fish and chips mate. I might have a big prawn cocktail for dinner, got frozen prawns, cos lettuce and thousand island, lubbly jubbly. Washed down with a well chilled bottle of Houghtons classic dry white.

I make my own dressing for prawn cocktails. Milk, dead horse, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, soy sauce. Sorry, I don't know quantities as I never mneasure anything, just through in what looks like enough.

38 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I make my own dressing for prawn cocktails. Milk, dead horse, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, soy sauce. Sorry, I don't know quantities as I never mneasure anything, just through in what looks like enough.

I use sour cream, or whipped cream and some lemon juice, with tomato sauce etc. Sometimes a dash of tabasco. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The sea food sauce/dressing in the bottle/jar is easier.

shopping.png

Or even one of these, if I use thousand island dressing I tend to need to add something, a squeeze of lemon, a dash of mustard, or some chilli type sauce, a bit bland for me otherwise

0437512E-31CD-4196-8E2D-2BA29E6EDE85.jpeg

32013A71-700F-4145-8D51-A47A5068FFA5.jpeg

Subway is becoming a regular lunch for me on Saturdays. I grab one on the way to my windsurfing spot. Usually 6" turkey and cranberry or chicken teriyaki on rye with all salads including beetroot and jalapenos, pepper, no salt plus chili sauce (not sweet) and a bottle of Pepsi Max or Diet Coke.

I have tried pies or pasties but they don't sit well on the tummy when sailing as it's quite physical.

• Like 1

I haven't had too many sandwiches while cruising, but the best would have been on X with a club sandwich. but it was a MDR lunch and came with chips. Close second would be P&O's club also a lunch in the MDR. I like sandwiches freshly made,  otherwise (more than 1/2 hour) they need to be toasted.

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Subway is becoming a regular lunch for me on Saturdays. I grab one on the way to my windsurfing spot. Usually 6" turkey and cranberry or chicken teriyaki on rye with all salads including beetroot and jalapenos, pepper, no salt plus chili sauce (not sweet) and a bottle of Pepsi Max or Diet Coke.

I have tried pies or pasties but they don't sit well on the tummy when sailing as it's quite physical.

I don't mind the occasional Subway meal, I liked the ham or turkey with all the salads on Oat, grilled with swiss cheese, but they don't have Oat at many stores anymore so Malted rye instead now.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't mind the occasional Subway meal, I liked the ham or turkey with all the salads on Oat, grilled with swiss cheese, but they don't have Oat at many stores anymore so Malted rye instead now.

I too always had the Honey/Oat until they dropped it. I thought they dropped Swiss cheese too. I have Old English now. BTW I resented having to pay extra for beetroot.

We have a Subway outlet in Batemans Bay CBD, they don't have GF Bread rolls but they have GF Wraps, I have one of those now and again, meat, cheese and salad, the works.  No extra charge for beetroot either, not heard that one before.

Edited by NSWP