The perfect sandwich ?

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We have a Subway outlet in Batemans Bay CBD, they don't have GF Bread rolls but they have GF Wraps, I have one of those now and again, meat, cheese and salad, the works.  No extra charge for beetroot either, not heard that one before.

Uncle Les, when I am being a good boy and avoiding carbs, the bowls are good too, same price as a 6” and a pretty filling feed, though they do go a bit heavy on the lettuce.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Uncle Les, when I am being a good boy and avoiding carbs, the bowls are good too, same price as a 6” and a pretty filling feed, though they do go a bit heavy on the lettuce.

Thanks mate, yes I know they do a bowl, yes they are heavy on the lettuce, bulky and cheap often. I bought a lettuce from IGA yesterday $2. Probably $1 in Aldi.

51 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have never been to a Subway that serves beetroot😳. Personally I do enjoy the meatball sub and also ask for extra sauce on top😁

Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't, like the pineapple.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Beetroot was taken off the menu for a while (along with pineapple) and when it returned they were charging extra for it, but it now seems most aren’t.

You're right, they no longer charge for beetroot. Sometimes, if I think of it, I'll say no lettuce thanks, prefer spinach.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Our local subway in Caloundra are happy to (hold the lettuce) and make it up with spinach olives and extra jalapeños 

Cheers Carole

4 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Our local subway in Caloundra are happy to (hold the lettuce) and make it up with spinach olives and extra jalapeños 

Cheers Carole

Hate olives, i will have extra cucumber and onion.

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hate olives, i will have extra cucumber and onion.

Love love love olives runs in the family it seems, took 2 year old great granddaughter shopping, Woolworths offering free bananas , not good enough, Can I please have some olives, got to love kids.

Cheers Carole

On 20/01/2021 at 5:06 PM, NSWP said:

I toast all my gf bread it is so dry on the supermarket shelves for a couple of weeks, not nice, hence i toast it.

The Abbott's bakery seeded gf bread is really good untoasted if you are lucky enough to get a frozen one that hasn't been on the shelf forever.  But I know what you mean otherwise...poor us😏

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

The Abbott's bakery seeded gf bread is really good untoasted if you are lucky enough to get a frozen one that hasn't been on the shelf forever.  But I know what you mean otherwise...poor us😏

Yes if you get a fresh one not long out of the freezer. Abbotts is about the best. Sometimes in Woolworths I ask a staff member if they have any frozen gf loaves out back, if so i get half a dozen and stick them in my freezer asap. The woollies own brand is ok too and cheaper @ $4.50.  Being coeliac is not fun, $7 for a loaf of Abbotts is not fun either. Neither Woollies or Coles here will get in gf burger buns or gf hot dog rolls, they say they dont sell. Dont accept that, they can freeze them.

The 3 bakeries down here dont produce gf bread, they quote the cross contamination issue, more like they are frightened it wont sell.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The 3 bakeries down here dont produce gf bread, they quote the cross contamination issue, more like they are frightened it wont sell.

Not necessarily, being smaller bakeries they cannot separate the gluten and gluten free production so they would have to share facilities and having to do a full decontamination to produce gluten free products is laborious they would probably have to hike the price up considerably that it might be unsellable😳

What about getting a bread machine and making your own gluten free bread? I had a quick look online and there seems to be a lot of info available.

I had a bread machine many years ago in NZ and it was great, but I was making regular bread not gluten free. I used to make a really nice grain bread with kibbled wheat and rye in it.

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes if you get a fresh one not long out of the freezer. Abbotts is about the best. Sometimes in Woolworths I ask a staff member if they have any frozen gf loaves out back, if so i get half a dozen and stick them in my freezer asap. The woollies own brand is ok too and cheaper @ $4.50.  Being coeliac is not fun, $7 for a loaf of Abbotts is not fun either. Neither Woollies or Coles here will get in gf burger buns or gf hot dog rolls, they say they dont sell. Dont accept that, they can freeze them.

Yep we certainly get ripped off that's for sure. Have you tried Aldi seeded bread only $3.90 bargain 🤣

We live in a regional town & even our little Woolies has gf rolls, gf cakes (they are new) pizza, a pretty good selection really.

Lucky for me I only go through one loaf of bread a week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What about getting a bread machine and making your own gluten free bread? I had a quick look online and there seems to be a lot of info available.

I had a bread machine many years ago in NZ and it was great, but I was making regular bread not gluten free. I used to make a really nice grain bread with kibbled wheat and rye in it.

I think a bread maker would be good if I went through more bread a week.  I imagine it would get very expensive if you had a couple of growing coeliac children,  lucky for us our daughter was diagnosed in her 20's.

24 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

I think a bread maker would be good if I went through more bread a week.  I imagine it would get very expensive if you had a couple of growing coeliac children,  lucky for us our daughter was diagnosed in her 20's.

It gives you the freedom to make fresh bread when you need it. Of course, if the bread makers are too expensive then it wouldn't be cost effective. I did see online a recommendation to get one with a gluten free cycle if possible but there are ways around that. The other disadvantage is the space they take up, especially if you have a small kitchen.

Yes, it would get really expensive with growing kids who are coeliac.

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

I got diagnosed at 60 via bowel biopsy, so I had 60 years of eating any drinking anything. Terrible when kids cops it, they miss out on a lot.  I had lost 30kg in weight over 6 months, so knew something was wrong.  So been coeliac for 12 yrs.  One and a half loaves of bread does me for the week. I sometimes buy the Aldi gf bread, it is good. I don't think I will bother with a bread maker. I can afford a bit of supermarket gf bread now that Woollies and Aldi have priced theirs lower.

Edited by NSWP

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is there really that much of a difference cooking bread in a bread maker or an oven🤔

Don't think so, years ago I tried making a couple of loaves in the oven from the gf mix, they did not come out too good, so canned that idea.