The perfect sandwich ?

40 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is there really that much of a difference cooking bread in a bread maker or an oven🤔

Yes, the bread maker does all the hard work. You just put in the ingredients. It mixes, allows to rise, kneads, allows to rise again, and bakes. You set the timer so it's ready for breakfast or lunch.

It's almost foolproof unless you decide to vary a recipe  then you might have to experiment a bit.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, the bread maker does all the hard work. You just put in the ingredients. It mixes, allows to rise, kneads, allows to rise again, and bakes. You set the timer so it's ready for breakfast or lunch.

I am too lazy to do all that, the savings for one person over Aldi/Woollies bread would be marginal, if any. I am not a bread freak.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I am too lazy to do all that, the savings over Aldi/Woollies bread would be marginal, if any. I am not a bread freak.

It really doesn't take more than a few minutes to measure out the ingredients. Then just set and forget until you smell it baking.

It's a shame there aren't places where you can rent them to try.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's almost foolproof unless you decide to vary a recipe  then you might have to experiment a bit.

Well I didn't know that so thanks for that👍. Personally I enjoy the kneading process it is quite therapeutic for me but then I don't make bread that often, perhaps if I did I would prefer the help  a machine 😂 Can it be set to slow rise or is everything preset? 

Edited by ilikeanswers

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well I didn't know that so thanks for that👍. Personally I enjoy the kneading process it is quite therapeutic for me but then I don't make bread that often, perhaps if I did I would prefer the help  a machine 😂 Can it be set to slow rise or is everything preset? 

Mine's a Panasonic: standard wholemeal loaf is five hours, rapid three hours, or, as OzKiwi says, you can set the timer so that the loaf will be finished in (say) ten hours. Mine (I've kept count, sad I know) has just passed 600 loaves. Big big plus compared with lots of 'time saving' appliances is that it's as good as self cleaning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It really doesn't take more than a few minutes to measure out the ingredients. Then just set and forget until you smell it baking.

It's a shame there aren't places where you can rent them to try.

It would end up like the big rice cooker, big electric frypan and the big slow cooker, i dont use them now, cooking for 1. Rusting in the kitchen cupboards. I am not as domesticated as some of you nice ladies on here.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

It would end up like the big rice cooker, big electric frypan and the big slow cooker, i dont use them now, cooking for 1. Rusting in the kitchen cupboards. I am not as domesticated as some of you nice ladies on here.

Maybe you could start a business renting yours out.?

Take your mind off no cruises

Cheers Carole

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

For some it may be useful, for others another useless appliance taking up cupboard space after the first few attempts.

My dear wife was a tupperware fanatic for 40 odd years, I have a tupperware museum under my kitchen benches, hundreds of them plastic things. No room for any more gadgets, lol.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My dear wife was a tupperware fanatic for 40 odd years, I have a tupperware museum under my kitchen benches, hundreds of them plastic things. No room for any more gadgets, lol.

Salvos get good money for those too

Cheers Carole

On 26/01/2021 at 6:34 PM, Elorac123 said:

Good on you,I volunteer at Caloundra Salvos 3 times a week, I know they would be appreciated 

Cheers Carole

3 days a week is a good effort.  Are they still at Centerpoint? I use to volunteer around the corner at Save the children, there for 14 years. 

6 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

3 days a week is a good effort.  Are they still at Centerpoint? I use to volunteer around the corner at Save the children, there for 14 years. 

No Joe.we have a huge shop on Caloundra Rd it’s been there nearly 5 years, also a small shop in Bulcock St

Cheers Carole 

On 1/20/2021 at 5:17 PM, Chiliburn said:

Some of the newer RC ships do a Ruben sandwich.

Its a toasted rye bread with fresh corned beef and sauerkraut.

I like a mustard mayonnaise with it.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:33 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, the Panama Canal cruise we did in 2018 ended in New York so we were able to try a Reuben sandwich from Katz Deli. OMG it was soooo good, but huge - we shared one between the two of us. We had the pastrami version and while waiting for it to be made they put a plate in front of you with a few slices of pastami to try. 

Your posts made me wish for a Ruben..... when I would visited our HQ in Texas, a Ruben was a must, along with obligatory pickle, which I could do without & a packet of chips. I've also had one or two onboard.

I'm going to try & find one here in Penrith 😁 else it will be a very long time before I get to have one again.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Your posts made me wish for a Ruben..... when I would visited our HQ in Texas, a Ruben was a must, along with obligatory pickle, which I could do without & a packet of chips. I've also had one or two onboard.

I'm going to try & find one here in Penrith 😁 else it will be a very long time before I get to have one again.

I had never heard of them and me  and some friends where sitting in 270 on Ovation and one come up with a tray of them.

Good tucker.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

The only time I tried one, said never again, but not a fan of Sauerkraut and the corned beef was more or less minced.

just give me slaves of. Owned meat with mustard, or ass cheese, maybe tomato and toast it.

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

I had a good one at the Crown Hotel Goulbourne Street in Sydney just down the road from the Travelodge

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

My favorite Sandwich is Applewood Bacon, Mozzarella, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Basil Leaves on a Baguette with Duke's Mayonnaise.  Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

My favorite Cruise Ship Sandwich is the Steak Tartare on Rye Bread available on any Viking Ocean Ship at the Mansen's Norwegian Deli.     

22 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

No Joe.we have a huge shop on Caloundra Rd it’s been there nearly 5 years, also a small shop in Bulcock St

Cheers Carole 

Yes I know the big shop on Caloundra Rd next to hubby's favourite shop😂

• Thanks 1

First meat pies now sandwiches. The best sangy I ever had was years ago, I'm talking the late 1970s. We had a small independent shop here with 2 locations called Grinders (the Sandwich) and chili. They baked the bread in the shop like subway does but that was years before we ever heard of subway here. It was the first I ever heard of Mortadella and Capicolli, all the meats were top quality. A super grinder had all the meats, pepperoni, salami, ham, and Mortadella you had to ask for the capocolli but it didn't cost more. They did charge extra for the avocado that was peeled and mashed to order (I didn't do avocado back then) then they had the fixins selection very much like subway. One of the interesting thing was that they would take the fresh long roll and cut it in half and sprinkle it with salad oil instead of butter. The place lasted about 5 years and then it was gone, all sandwich places since then have not quite reached the mark; although I do enjoy Subway and my go to is the meatball with lettuce, onion, tomatoes and dill pickles, we have a choice of "white" or "orange" cheese it's a mystery what they are no one seems to know, and about 5 different bread rolls or also wraps. You can have it toasted or not.

Orange cheese would be a generic American cheese which seems to bear no resemblance to any "real" cheeses. The white would be generic American "Swiss" cheese and ditto.

According to the Wisconson Cheese Company, who were speaking at a wine conference I went to once, the reason that many American cheeses are orange is that two companies were competing for market share so Wisconsin added orange colouring to theirs and won the bigger share of the market.

I agree Julie the "cheese" in a subway sandwich bares little resemblance to real cheese but I think the orange is modeled after a mild cheddar and the white one is some form of "Monterrey" jack. Can you imagine if they used real cheddar or Swiss or Havarti even a nice Mozzarella. The regular Subway customer would lose their mind.