The perfect sandwich ?

Grew up on Kraft, the box, or the sliced, my cousin’s family ate Coon.

Then when I was about 10 or so a good family friend bought a Deli and I was introduced to “real” cheese. Hooked ever since. But I still don’t mind a bit of cheddar or grated stuff for some uses.

Hey Leigh, where did you grow up?  My Dad worked for Kraft and their plant was in Salmon Street Port Melbourne and yep, they certainly made that blue box cheese there.  They also made Vegemite there ... on a hot summer night after a north wind day we could smell it.  Dad informed ... "The night shift is doing the Vegemite tonight!"  LOL.  Gawd it was smelly.

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

Hey Leigh, where did you grow up?  My Dad worked for Kraft and their plant was in Salmon Street Port Melbourne and yep, they certainly made that blue box cheese there.  They also made Vegemite there ... on a hot summer night after a north wind day we could smell it.  Dad informed ... "The night shift is doing the Vegemite tonight!"  LOL.  Gawd it was smelly.

LC1950, I grew up in Warrnambool. Kraft leased the plant from the Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Company now owned by Saputo Dairy and is in Allansford, a suburb of Warrnambool. 

Warrnambool also had a Nestle plant which made Nescafe, you could smell the coffee as you drove close by to it.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

7 hours ago, broberts said:

I've never had vegemite. I understand it is very similar to marmite. A spread I enjoyed in my youth. Sadly it is not easily available where I now live.

Have you tried looking on Amazon? The US site has both Vegemite and Marmite so I imagine it would be available in Canada as well.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, broberts said:

I've never had vegemite. I understand it is very similar to marmite. A spread I enjoyed in my youth. Sadly it is not easily available where I now live.

Probably a prohibited import in Canada, lol. Dastardly stuff, but I already said that. I am in a minority here.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Probably a prohibited import in Canada, lol. Dastardly stuff, but I already said that. I am in a minority here.

You may be more right than you knew. Some formulations of Marmite cannot be imported because they include unapproved ingredients.

21 hours ago, broberts said:

You may be more right than you knew. Some formulations of Marmite cannot be imported because they include unapproved ingredients.

You should be able to procure those items on line, Vegemite and Marmite if you cannot access them in a shop.  Question is will Canadian authorities allow it in?

The yanks used to allow Vegemite in. When my son lived in Lima, Peru for 7 years, 2000-2008, we went over a couple of times, via LAX. Took half a dozen tubes of Vegemite over for my son. Declared them at LAX and Lima Airport, no problems.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

You should be able to procure those items on line, Vegemite and Marmite if you cannot access them in a shop.  Question is will Canadian authorities allow it in?

The yanks used to allow Vegemite in. When my son lived in Lima, Peru for 7 years, 2000-2008, we went over a couple of times, via LAX. Took half a dozen tubes of Vegemite over for my son. Declared them at LAX and Lima Airport, no problems.

There is a Canadian legal Marmite available in some specialty stores. Amazon wants CA$18 for 250gm Marmite and CA$20 for 220gm Vegemite.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

There is a Canadian legal Marmite available in some specialty stores. Amazon wants CA$18 for 250gm Marmite and CA$20 for 220gm Vegemite.

By the way cost of a jar of vegemite 220gm is A $4.00 at the supermarket here.... we generally buy the 150gm size

Cheers Don