The perfect sandwich ?

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The orange American cheese is a staple in the Princess buffets, trays of it. P and O uk and Cunard do wonderful cheese boards in buffet and mdr.

The UK have some beautiful cheeses, the Stilton and Gorgonzola are the best I’ve tasted, can’t go wrong with either of those on your butties 

Cheers Carole

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

The UK have some beautiful cheeses, the Stilton and Gorgonzola are the best I’ve tasted, can’t go wrong with either of those on your butties 

Cheers Carole

And cheshire and cheddar, great cheeses in England. I normally stick with Bega strong and bitey. So many Aussie cheeses are overrated and overpriced. Aldi does some decent cheeses at a fair price.

cheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree Julie the "cheese" in a subway sandwich bares little resemblance to real cheese but I think the orange is modeled after a mild cheddar and the white one is some form of "Monterrey" jack. Can you imagine if they used real cheddar or Swiss or Havarti even a nice Mozzarella. The regular Subway customer would lose their mind.

Subway uses the cheapest cheese they can procure Lyle. As do Maccas etc. Yes monterey jack, yanks love it.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And cheshire and cheddar, great cheeses in England.

Yes, love it when I visit my family there, I have a relative that works at cheese processing plant.(that’s what he calls it) I call it heaven.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The orange American cheese is a staple in the Princess buffets, trays of it. P and O uk and Cunard do wonderful cheese boards in buffet and mdr.

Certain Cunard had the best cheese board I ever saw on a cruise, Camembert Brie, a nice blue and on and on, plus a selection of crackers, a range of fruit dried and fresh, and some pickled onions from the salad bat and I was in heaven. Seemed like a different Blue each day. Wasn’t keen on the cruise but the cheese board in the buffet made up for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Certain Cunard had the best cheese board I ever saw on a cruise, Camembert Brie, a nice blue and on and on, plus a selection of crackers, a range of fruit dried and fresh, and some pickled onions from the salad bat and I was in heaven. Seemed like a different Blue each day. Wasn’t keen on the cruise but the cheese board in the buffet made up for it.

Best pickled onions in OZ are Blue Banner, mr Gut. From Tassie. Get them from Woollies, crispy, tasty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree Julie the "cheese" in a subway sandwich bares little resemblance to real cheese but I think the orange is modeled after a mild cheddar and the white one is some form of "Monterrey" jack. Can you imagine if they used real cheddar or Swiss or Havarti even a nice Mozzarella. The regular Subway customer would lose their mind.

Yes, I think American orange cheese is modeled after a generic mild cheddar-style cheese, which in itself has no resemblance to real cheddar. I confess I'm a bit of a cheese snob though, when I eat cheese I want either the real thing or something that closely resembles it ie local soft Brie or Camembert style cheeses are acceptable, ditto good blue cheeses, and one Tasmanian company makes a very nice gruyere. 

We had a wonderful cheese experience once in a restaurant in Paris. The cheese course arrived, in a wheeled trolley. We told the waiter that we didn't know much about French cheeses so we would leave the selection up to him. We ended up with 12 different cheeses to try, just tiny bites of each. After we'd tried them all we discussed them with him then he found another four cheeses "we just had to try". Great restaurant! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Best pickled onions in OZ are Blue Banner, mr Gut. From Tassie. Get them from Woollies, crispy, tasty.

Have you tried Bum Hummers? Not sure if the have them in the supermarkets though, might be delis-only.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Have you tried Bum Hummers? Not sure if the have them in the supermarkets though, might be delis-only.

I have, loaded with chili, makes one turbo charged, lol. Yes delis and iga have them.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I think American orange cheese is modeled after a generic mild cheddar-style cheese, which in itself has no resemblance to real cheddar. I confess I'm a bit of a cheese snob though, when I eat cheese I want either the real thing or something that closely resembles it ie local soft Brie or Camembert style cheeses are acceptable, ditto good blue cheeses, and one Tasmanian company makes a very nice gruyere. 

We had a wonderful cheese experience once in a restaurant in Paris. The cheese course arrived, in a wheeled trolley. We told the waiter that we didn't know much about French cheeses so we would leave the selection up to him. We ended up with 12 different cheeses to try, just tiny bites of each. After we'd tried them all we discussed them with him then he found another four cheeses "we just had to try". Great restaurant! 

I am more a  hard cheese person, but i am a cheese freak. Cheese every day for moi.

Edited by NSWP

I'm definitely not a cheese connoisseur, I tend to the more mild flavours. There is a local market that takes Ontario aged cheddar and smokes it, it is a nice flavour that I often use when making Mac & Cheese. I like cave aged Gruyere (but don't buy it often $$), Lynn likes Havarti. My go to for sandwiches is Swiss or Mozzarella. For a nice cheese board I would have Camembert or Brie, the afore mentioned smoked cheddar, Havarti for Lynn, the cave aged Gruyere and something else that I haven't tried before. I'm really not that keen for blue cheese so I would only ad that is I knew my guests enjoyed it and any left overs would go home with the guest. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm definitely not a cheese connoisseur, I tend to the more mild flavours. There is a local market that takes Ontario aged cheddar and smokes it, it is a nice flavour that I often use when making Mac & Cheese. I like cave aged Gruyere (but don't buy it often $$), Lynn likes Havarti. My go to for sandwiches is Swiss or Mozzarella. For a nice cheese board I would have Camembert or Brie, the afore mentioned smoked cheddar, Havarti for Lynn, the cave aged Gruyere and something else that I haven't tried before. I'm really not that keen for blue cheese so I would only ad that is I knew my guests enjoyed it and any left overs would go home with the guest. 

And a glass or three of decent port to go with the cheese 🧀 Lyle, lubbly jubbly.  I am about to have a glass of Brown Brothers Port post dinner and watch the big bash T20 cricket. Perhaps a morsel of cheese 🧀 

Edited by NSWP

Speaking of cheese ... has anyone tried this one?

https://www.kingislanddairy.com.au/product/lighthouse-blue-brie/

I tried it at a wine tasting at Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tassie many years ago.  It's delicious with just a small dab of quince paste.  Angels dancing on your tongue IMO.

Thinking about this orange cheese everyone is talking about ... remember "Velveeta" from Kraft?  Errrrkkkk! 🤢  My Dad worked for Kraft for 35 years and he got his gold watch, an Omega - I'm still wearing it and it goes like the klappers.  Thanks Kraft. 😉

2 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

I tried it at a wine tasting at Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tassie many years ago.  It's delicious with just a small dab of quince paste.  Angels dancing on your tongue IMO.

Thinking about this orange cheese everyone is talking about ... remember "Velveeta" from Kraft?  Errrrkkkk! 🤢  My Dad worked for Kraft for 35 years and he got his gold watch, an Omega - I'm still wearing it and it goes like the klappers.  Thanks Kraft. 😉

Velveeta was that processed cheese wrapped in foil and in a blue box? Retro.

Edited by NSWP

Uncle Les, the blue box wrapped in foil had some sort of "cheese" ... but if memory serves me correctly, I think the Velveeta was wrapped in foil in an orange or yellow box.  Both were super errkkkky!!!!  The Velveeta lasted in Australia for a few years but the one in the blue box went on "forever"!  Hideous stuff both of them IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Velveeta is still available here and comes as individually wrapped slices, often used on burgers for the younger folk. Comes in a yellow and orange wrapper and when in a brick the box it is yellow.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Uncle Les, the blue box wrapped in foil had some sort of "cheese" ... but if memory serves me correctly, I think the Velveeta was wrapped in foil in an orange or yellow box.  Both were super errkkkky!!!!  The Velveeta lasted in Australia for a few years but the one in the blue box went on "forever"!  Hideous stuff both of them IMO.

The blue box last forever cheese is still available. Erkkky.

Edited by NSWP

51 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There was one processed cheese that I loved as a kid. La Vache Qui Rit (Laughing Cow). You can still get it, I think, and it's still quite nice. Not your average bland processed cheese, this one had a bit of oomph.

Available at Woolworths, how I got my Great Grandaughter to try cheese, she loved the cow on the wrappings 

Cheers Carole

4 hours ago, LC1950 said:

I would also recommend King Island smoked Camembert👍 so yummy 😋

The only chesse I knew growing up was the Kraft processed cheese in the blue box. There was a Kraft processing plant close to where I grew up but I'm not sure if the processed cheese was made there. Coon cheese was/is though.  My children had it the processed cheese but I'm sure my brie and camebert loving 10 year old grandson has never had it! Or his elder brother or cousins.

Leigh

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The only chesse I knew growing up was the Kraft processed cheese in the blue box. There was a Kraft processing plant close to where I grew up but I'm not sure if the processed cheese was made there. Coon cheese was/is though.  My children had it the processed cheese but I'm sure my brie and camebert loving 10 year old grandson has never had it! Or his elder brother or cousins.

Leigh

It was wrapped in foil. I recall the feel of little bits of foil buzzing in my fillings.🤪

• Like 1