SAGA announces mandatory vacancies

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

SAGA is a tiny cruise line catering to old people.   I'm not sure much can be read into their decision.

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So no kids then??  

Saga is a brand with a minimum age; you can't travel with them until you are 50 unless you are over 40 and travelling with someone 50+.

I’m not sure if that classifies as “old people” or not 🤷‍♀️, but no, no kids.

Their new build ships look very stylish, and not “old” at all.  However, one is affectionately nicknamed SofA.....

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a rumor going around that Carnival will require the vaccine as well.  If that's the case, then the other 2 big lines will probably follow.  We'll see what happens, but it seems that when the vaccine becomes readily available to the general public, as a CYA, all the lines will probably require proof of vaccination.  

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If the big boys require a vaccine, then you can forget about cruising until 2022 at the earliest, if not longer.

Since current CDC CSO policy is for ships to sail with reduced capacity through November, requiring a vaccination would effectively reduce the number of people who would be on a ship in the short term. I can see vaccination as a requirement for sailing at full capacity however.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think everyone has to be able to cruise to restart cruises. The general public should be able to sign up by june or July I've read.

That doesn't mean they'll get it in June/July. Or meet the full dose inoculation (unless they get the J&J vaccine) before fall.

The worst part will be family units getting the vaccine at different intervals due to each family member's age/health/occupation putting them in different priority buckets.

Edited by smokeybandit

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That doesn't mean they'll get it in June/July. Or meet the full dose inoculation (unless they get the J&J vaccine) before fall.

The worst part will be family units getting the vaccine at different intervals due to each family member's age/health/occupation putting them in different priority buckets.

Because some won’t have received the vaccine will only mean that they can’t cruise.  If the cruise lines are allowed to sail in June then they will...just with a very limited demographic. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Because some won’t have received the vaccine will only mean that they can’t cruise.  If the cruise lines are allowed to sail in June then they will...just with a very limited demographic. 

And they're going to piss a lot of loyal passengers off if they require a vaccine of people who simply aren't allowed to get one yet, even if they definitely want to get it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And they're going to piss a lot of loyal passengers off if they require a vaccine of people who simply aren't allowed to get one yet, even if they definitely want to get it.

If they like to cruise they will get over it. Those people should be directing their anger at their home state for not rolling it out effectively.  It isn’t the industry’s fault.

Top that off with the fact that the lines won’t start to cruise until they feel enough of their base has been vaccinated.  They aren’t going to start sailing empty, just to start sailing. 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Fine with me.  😉   Though. IMHO... I think we won't see domestic embarkation RCI cruises happen until late this year at the earliest.  Which could also be part of the new timing of cancellations until most of us can get the vaccine.

I don't expect my two upcoming May cruises to go, ....and not packing yet.  😉 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If they like to cruise they will get over it. Those people should be directing their anger at their home state for not rolling it out effectively.  It isn’t the industry’s fault.

Top that off with the fact that the lines won’t start to cruise until they feel enough of their base has been vaccinated.  They aren’t going to start sailing empty, just to start sailing. 

This exactly  ^.  

• Like 1

I for one, hope that Royal requires a vaccine.  As a note, we have 2 kids and before our next cruise, one is under 16 so as of now, she can't get the vaccine .  I'd rather have a safe ship and the cruise lines to start up successfully without worrying about covid cases, vs us being able to cruise and "hope" there aren't any.  Am sad and disappointed as we'll most likely miss more of our booked cruises, but am grateful a vaccine has started and eventually, we will cruise again (and hopefully while both of our kids still travel with us)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I for one, hope that Royal requires a vaccine.  As a note, we have 2 kids and before our next cruise, one is under 16 so as of now, she can't get the vaccine .  I'd rather have a safe ship and the cruise lines to start up successfully without worrying about covid cases, vs us being able to cruise and "hope" there aren't any.  Am sad and disappointed as we'll most likely miss more of our booked cruises, but am grateful a vaccine has started and eventually, we will cruise again (and hopefully while both of our kids still travel with us)

Totally agree.  We made it this far...going through this much...for so long now...we can afford to wait a bit longer until cruising is safe again.  Not worth the alternative.   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

(and hopefully while both of our kids still travel with us)

You may have plenty of time.  Our sons are in their 30s and still cruise with us.  They seem to enjoy the free vacations!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If Royal does move to requiring a vaccine, then I want my $1000.00 that is tied up in an FCC (non refundable suite deposit) back as cash. We do not plan on getting the vaccine anytime soon, at least not until I see the effects of the ones they are handing out right now. 

• Like 5