Saga announces only vaccinated passengers can sail. Do you think Princess will follow?

2ferfun

I hope princess will follow. that way i can get cheaper cruises since I am fully vaccinated already. 

I don't understand how ppl can feel comfortable on such tight corners with strangers without being vaccinated. 

I round on the covid unit, and I have seen 20 and 30 yo die. I have had to withdraw care from so many ppl from being in septic shock +/- ARDS secondary to covid. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

A vaccine that prevents illness might still allow people to become infected and harbor the virus in their noses long enough to transmit it.

New data from Moderna suggest that its vaccine may reduce transmission. Researchers found that people who had one shot were less likely than those in the placebo group to have symptom-free infections in their noses — and therefore less likely to be contagious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/health/covid-moderna-vaccine.html

That is a comparison with the PLACEBO group (ie the ones that did not get any vaccine).  Any  vaccine that gets approval would be expected to have  a similar effect.  There is as yet no comparative data about ongoing possible infection rates for any vaccine (unfortunately).

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

That’s because Saga is a British company and CDC rules only apply to cruises out of the US. However right now the UK has a “no sail” advisory and I don’t see that being lifted anytime soon. 

I was asking a question about a post from a US member, for whom the CDC would naturally be the prime reference.  It had nothing to do with Saga themselves.  

25 minutes ago, terry2 said:

That is a comparison with the PLACEBO group (ie the ones that did not get any vaccine).  Any  vaccine that gets approval would be expected to have  a similar effect.  There is as yet no comparative data about ongoing possible infection rates for any vaccine (unfortunately).

We're not talking about infection rates, I'm referencing TRANSMISSION. If you cannot transmit the virus you wouldn't need a mask. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, terry2 said:

That doesn't mean that the Pfizer vaccine doesn't have a similar effect; it just means that they either didn't test for it or haven't crunched the data yet. This has all been written about in much detail already.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:36 PM, nini said:

I believe in equality... I would be much more comfortable if the following vaccination documentation is required:

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella,)

Pneumonia (the two rounds)

DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus)

Chickenpox Varicella

Influenza (annually)

Shingles

Hepatitis A & B

Meningitis

Polio

Our daughter and son in law refuse to allow us around their children

without being current on these.

When working in an Assisted Living Facility, I contracted pneumonia... not fun.

And I would hate to spread any of these to anyone, let alone a child or pregnant woman.

And these vaccinations are not fun for me. I unpleasantly react to each one... except my last flu

shot.

Well, I am 100% covered.  And as of Feb 9 with have both of the COVID vaccine shots.  So book me.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scotmay said:

To those who have already been vaccinated, are you given some written proof of this vaccination!  I would imagine we will need to prove this in the future, ie., to board a cruise ship!

Yes I was given a card produced by CDC with my name, dates, vaccine type & batch #.  When they fill in the info for my 2nd dose, I’ll laminate it and put it with my passport 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

Yes I was given a card produced by CDC with my name, dates, vaccine type & batch #.  When they fill in the info for my 2nd dose, I’ll laminate it and put it with my passport 

Before you laminate it, you may want to scan it into your computer/phone.  You may be asked to show proof of vaccination in venues other than ones requiring a passport.  Just a thought, it can't hurt.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

1557699777_CovidReportCard(2).jpg.73589d5032fa671fc622bb46c189d647.jpg

2 hours ago, spyro1952 said:

According to a CNET article, "A COVID-19 vaccination card won't be the same as an immunity passport. Instead, it'll serve as a reminder to get your second shot of the vaccine. It also details which vaccine you received -- but that's all."

See the whole article here:  COVID-19 vaccine card is not an immunity passport. Here's the difference (cnet.com)

I have also seen where some state governments posting the blank card online as a PDF for people to download and print.  I don't think this card is going to be secure/proof at all.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

We're not talking about infection rates, I'm referencing TRANSMISSION. If you cannot transmit the virus you wouldn't need a mask. 

Essentially they are the same thing: no transmission means no infection; no infection implies no transmission. 

2 hours ago, terry2 said:

Essentially they are the same thing: no transmission means no infection; no infection implies no transmission. 

Not really. Remember Typhoid Mary, you can carry the virus and transmit it without being sick yourself. 

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Not really. Remember Typhoid Mary, you can carry the virus and transmit it without being sick yourself. 

That's totally different - that's transmission/infection without showing symptoms. 

Just received my second vaccine, my wife will receive her 2nd vaccine next week.  With that being said, if the vaccine would be available in sufficient quantities I do think it would be a definite requirement for adults.  The vaccine probably will not be available for children until next year.

However, immunizations is moving at a pace much slower then expected.

The only way I could see Princess or any other major cruise line making this a requirement in the near future, would be to arrange purchase of the Chinese Sinovac which is the more traditional viral vaccine using a live attenuated virus grown in a birds egg. 

We plan to do a Trans-Atlantic next November.  Hopefully vaccines by Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Astra Zeneca will be widely available by then. 

• Like 1

While the vaccination requirement makes sense, both for passengers and crew, please check the latest pronouncement from the Covid Guru, Dr Fauci:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/dr-fauci-says-getting-covid-19-vaccine-isnt-free-pass-to-travel/ar-BB1daiUW

This would effectively put the lid on any air travel, cruises and resort businesses in the near future. 

2 hours ago, jonikal said:

While the vaccination requirement makes sense, both for passengers and crew, please check the latest pronouncement from the Covid Guru, Dr Fauci:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/dr-fauci-says-getting-covid-19-vaccine-isnt-free-pass-to-travel/ar-BB1daiUW

This would effectively put the lid on any air travel, cruises and resort businesses in the near future. 

Thanks for posting this.  The article from msn was really a 'Reader's Digest Condensed Version' of what Fauci's point was.  Fauci was emphasizing that he hasn't any idea whether or not vaccinations prevent asymptomatic infections, therefore vaccinated people might still be vectors transmitting the virus - but again he emphasized he doesn't know.  What he said was that the government is doing a study now to get those answers but until they know for sure he want's everybody to conduct themselves as if there was no vaccine at all.  It's an extremely conservative position which tends to undermine efforts at convincing people to get vaccinated.  How many people will now think why take the unknown risks of getting vaccinated if the 'Covid Guru' doesn't think it provides the desired outcome in the first place?  I am a firm believer in getting as many people vaccinated and requiring proof of vaccination for certain activities.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for posting this.  The article from msn was really a 'Reader's Digest Condensed Version' of what Fauci's point was.  Fauci was emphasizing that he hasn't any idea whether or not vaccinations prevent asymptomatic infections, therefore vaccinated people might still be vectors transmitting the virus - but again he emphasized he doesn't know.  What he said was that the government is doing a study now to get those answers but until they know for sure he want's everybody to conduct themselves as if there was no vaccine at all.  It's an extremely conservative position which tends to undermine efforts at convincing people to get vaccinated.  How many people will now think why take the unknown risks of getting vaccinated if the 'Covid Guru' doesn't think it provides the desired outcome in the first place?  I am a firm believer in getting as many people vaccinated and requiring proof of vaccination for certain activities.

That's right.  Who really knows for sure at this point.  What I know for sure is that if the cruise industry mandates vaccination to board the ship I am perfectly fine with that.  We get our last vaccination shot Monday and I get on the first ship out when they say "all aboard".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

How many people will now think why take the unknown risks of getting vaccinated if the 'Covid Guru' doesn't think it provides the desired outcome in the first place?

I know that you have no issues with having the vaccination, but I'm amazed that some people believe there are unknown risks! The single biggest risk is getting CV19!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I know that you have no issues with having the vaccination, but I'm amazed that some people believe there are unknown risks! The single biggest risk is getting CV19!  

Well, you can thank Dr Fauci and the other 'experts' for that.  But , don't worry, we will no longer be able to shake hands in the future, but having sex with people you don't even know is ok according to our national 'expert.'  I believe he also endorses wearing googles in addition to masks....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

To quote I believe Donald Rumsfeld (I think)

"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."

DON

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, jonikal said:

We physicians have a saying, if you don't agree with Dr. Fauci, just wait one or two days, he will usually change his position.  

I do feel that most individuals will be immunized by the late Spring or early Summer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1