Saga announces only vaccinated passengers can sail. Do you think Princess will follow?

2ferfun

12 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I don't know that we will have a choice with Kaiser, but I also prefer Moderna. The reason being I don't trust the temperature requirements will be maintained during transportation and storage of the Pfizer vaccine.

I have Kaiser too but that doesn't mean you have to go to them. Since the vaccine is no cost I will call every pharmacy and urgent care or vaccination center to find who is using Moderna. 

Insurance is not an issue regarding the vaccine so you can go wherever you want for it. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

No one, including Carnival or any other cruise line, is expecting 100% capacity or anything close to it on all of its ships. 

I disagree.

The recent CCL Corp. stock analysts conference call had this statement:

"At this point in time, our cumulative advance bookings for the second half of 2021 are within the historical range. Even better, our cumulative advance bookings for the first half of 2022 are ahead of a very strong 2019, which was at the high end of the historical range. "

Before the recent selling of the Pacific Princess some of its scheduled voyages were sold out or only had GTYs available with no indication that cabins were being limited due to Covid-19.

Initial Princess voyages are likely to be test runs and are currently not even scheduled. These initial voyages may well be capacity limited.

But when the regular voyages start, either they will sell almost full or there will be many upset people who will have their existing reservations cancelled so that occupancy can be cut back. Since those people would probably be so upset they would never use the same cruise line again, I doubt any cruise line will do this.

It is one thing to have a cruise cancelled. It is another to have the ship sail without you because your reservation was cancelled to allow for reduced capacity.

13 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I have Kaiser too but that doesn't mean you have to go to them. Since the vaccine is no cost I will call every pharmacy and urgent care or vaccination center to find who is using Moderna. 

Right now people are calling every pharmacy and urgent care or vaccination center just to try to get an appointment weeks into the future to get the vaccine.

It will be a long time until you can easily get a same day appointment and thus know what vaccine you would be getting.

Are you willing to wait many months before getting vaccinated  just so you can pick which vaccine it is?

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

As for advance bookings, not only is that an incomplete picture, but it is complete skewed these days by the amount of folks holding on to FCC that are rolling over bookings again and again.

That affects actual new income to the cruise lines, but it is likely most of those bookings will be used if the cruises take place.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

I am surprised at that. If you stop at Devil's Island on the way to Brazil, then Brazil requires this.

But if you join the ship in Manaus and then later stop at Devil's Island, Brazil does not care.

Brazil didn’t care but Princess did

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

From the Saga website.

"Unless exempt, face coverings must be worn in all internal public areas, for all guests and staff."

Also, the chauffeur service will be changed so that there will be no shared vehicles.  (Saga provide an included chauffeur service to and from their ships)

That quote was on their website for April & May cruises only.  In their FAQ's regarding the vaccine requirement the website states :

What additional measures have been put in place onboard?

For May and June sailings the following measures have been put into place, however these will continue to be reviewed:

• Pre-departure testing at the terminal for guests, including full medical screening
  • A reduced capacity of guests onboard to a maximum of 800
  • Increased crew to guest ratio, to enhance cleaning regimes onboard
  • Private chauffeur car per household up to 250 miles
  • Social distancing, which feels subtle onboard our spacious ships
  • Additional enhancements to our state-of-the-art air conditioning, which already provides 100% fresh air in all public areas and cabins
  • Improved and expanded medical facilities with a new dedicated isolation area
  • Doubled medical team

Once again, no reference to masks.  It's a little confusing since they are posting two different protocols for May cruises.  I'm not saying they will not want masks, I'm just saying that they are very specific about what they are doing and they no longer reference wearing a mask.  Time will tell.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I believe that is true. We got our vaccinations yesterday, and it was the Moderna. There really was no choice.

Wow!  Good for you, you're very fortunate! 

A friend who lives in Westchester County got an appointment for a day last week at a local hospital.  The day before the appointment she was told by the hospital that her appointment was cancelled as they didn't get the anticipated number of doses.  She was told that she would need to reschedule and go to the end of the queue and start all over again.  Yesterday, she was given an appointment in Plattsburg, NY for next week.  It's only about a 600 mile drive R/T, making for a total drive of 1200 miles for both shots.

22 hours ago, suekel said:

The problem for this is that many of those vaccines were not in use for people over 60.  Granted, they could have a titer to show they have antibodies but the vaccine?  no.  

I am sorry if I misspoke... it may be termed a "titer" and not a vaccination.

Age 60 or not:

The following is from the CDC website:

:Diphtheria is a serious infection caused by strains of bacteria called Corynebacterium diphtheriae that make toxin (poison). It can lead to difficulty breathing, heart failure, paralysis, and even death. CDC recommends vaccines for infants, children, teens, and adults to prevent diphtheria."

"Adults

All adults who have never received one should get a shot of Tdap. This can be given at any time, regardless of when they last got Td. This should be followed by either a Td or Tdap shot every 10 years."

22 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thank you for your thoughts. I will leave medical & vaccine decisions to my MD. 

Absolutely! My point is that people are walking around without protection for

self or others while these other horrible diseases.

Believe me; Pneumonia is not fun! And older people are very susceptible.

From the CDC website:

HOW IT SPREADS:

When someone infected with M. pneumoniae coughs or sneezes, they create small respiratory droplets that contain the bacteria. Other people can get infected if they breathe in those droplets.

• Like 2

I have been reading these posts re vaccine requirements in order to cruise with interest as we are due to go on Sky Princess 26th May 2021.

However unlike the US we in the UK have to wait to be called for a vaccine.

My dilemma is that my husband who is due in group 4 will have had his but as I am younger I am in group 7 so may not have had mine.

Do we still make our final payment which is due soon?

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The difference between Covid and most of the diseases on your list w the exception of MMR is that if you catch them, AND HOW DO YOU "CATCH" them? it affects you and not the rest of us.  I would only require vaccinations for transmittable diseases. AND THAT IS WHY VACCINES EXIST FOR THE ONES I MENTIONED Why should science even bother to develop vaccines if people are not required to take them. THAT IS WHY THEY EXIST AND THE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE ON THE CDC WEBSITE

There is a difference between public health and private health.  Private health does not have an impact on the population as a whole.  Public health does. AND THE CDC IS A PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCY

DON

FROM THE CDC WEBSITE:

Pertussis is a very contagious disease only found in humans. Pertussis spreads from person to person. People with pertussis usually spread the disease to another person by coughing or sneezing or when spending a lot of time near one another where you share breathing space. Many babies who get pertussis are infected by older siblings, parents, or caregivers who might not even know they have the disease.

Pneumonia:

When someone infected with M. pneumoniae coughs or sneezes, they create small respiratory droplets that contain the bacteria. Other people can get infected if they breathe in those droplets.

4 minutes ago, Wendymewendy said:

I have been reading these posts re vaccine requirements in order to cruise with interest as we are due to go on Sky Princess 26th May 2021.

My dilemma is that my husband who is due in group 4 will have had his but as I am younger I am in group 7 so may not have had mine.

That would be up to you. When do you think you will be eligible? You will need two.

The second one is done 3 weeks after the first.

19 minutes ago, Wendymewendy said:

As another poster said, it's up to you. Consider these points:

• In the US (don't know if UK is the same) Princess currently allows cancellation without penalty up to 30 days before your cruise date although they refund you in FCCs for another cruise. They call this Cruise with Confidence and you should see if it applies in the UK.
  • Princess has not yet imposed any vaccination requirement, nor have they to my knowledge even floated it as a possibility. All this discussion and speculation is because another small cruise line has done so.
  • Finally, it's my opinion that your particular cruise, since it's so early in the planned resumption of cruising by Princess, it at a high risk for being canceled anyway. Hope it's not for your sake.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Not in the UK. 10 to 12 weeks wait for the second dose. 

Then, it does not look too optimistic. Take a look at a 2021 calendar

and count out the weeks for the best scenario in your case. At best, if you

get your first dose next week (not likely), then you could receive your second dose

the second week in April These are best case scenarios and you are not eligible

for the first dose yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wendymewendy said:

I think the chances of UK GOV lifting the no sail advisory by May are very slim. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Wow!  Good for you, you're very fortunate! 

A friend who lives in Westchester County got an appointment for a day last week at a local hospital.  The day before the appointment she was told by the hospital that her appointment was cancelled as they didn't get the anticipated number of doses.  She was told that she would need to reschedule and go to the end of the queue and start all over again.  Yesterday, she was given an appointment in Plattsburg, NY for next week.  It's only about a 600 mile drive R/T, making for a total drive of 1200 miles for both shots.

That is truly awful. And a drive to Plattsburg in the winter is no picnic even from where we are  which is closer than Westchester County.

As for us being lucky, I would say part is through DW's persistence. She kept checking she said 4 times a day and finding no one in the county with the vaccine. When all of a sudden she saw that the county clinic had shots available, she hopped on the site and registered both of us. She later told me she checked a few hours later, and there were no longer any appointments available.

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Not in the UK. 10 to 12 weeks wait for the second dose. 

The 10 to 12 weeks wait for a second does in the UK was a political decision, not a decision made by immunologists. There is push back occurring in the medical community in the UK and the original recommended time frame may be re-instituted.

Just now, brisalta said:

The 10 to 12 weeks wait for a second does in the UK was a political decision, not a decision made by immunologists. There is push back occurring in the medical community in the UK and the original recommended time frame may be re-instituted.

We can only hope 

19 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm reading the Maderno vaccine prevents the virus from attaching to a host so you won't be a typhoid Mary but the pfizer does not so I won't take anything but Moderno.

On TV last night, Dr Fauci said he got Moderna but would have been just as comfortable to get Pfizer. FYI

• Like 1

Australia has not rolled out the Covid drugs yet, will be March, no cruising happening anyway.

Our community transmissions are nil. Only positive cases are fly in, repatriated citizens and the pesky tennis players. All in quarantine.

Edited by NSWP