Mandate the vaccine and establish a realistic start date

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

With how high covid cases were november thru january across the US I dont think the cruiselines wanted to even risk trying to get thru the gray areas of the CSO.

I'm sure they most certainly did want to get through the CSO. Every month that goes by is millions more down the drain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

It sounds like the OP has not even heard about the CDC's No Sail Order

The Cruise Lines are now operating under the Conditional Sail Order that lays out the benchmarks that the ships must meet as discussed above such as -- improved ventilation, improved cleaning, no self serve buffets, expanded medical centers, quarantine cabin area, test cruises.  The last No Sail Order lapsed in the September or October of 2020 to be replaced by the Conditional Sail Order.  

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Except they can't meet the guidelines because the CDC isn't helping them through the gray areas. So essentially it is a no sail order.

I suspect the CDC is a bit busy with tasks more closely related to keeping Americans healthy. Holding the hands of companies in the leisure business is likely at the bottom of its to do list.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

I have no idea if your 6.5% is correct or not but don't forget that the crew doesn't come from your country anyway......

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I have no idea if your 6.5% is correct or not but don't forget that the crew doesn't come from your country anyway......

That is not strictly true from what I have heard. Though I have never been on it. The NCL ship Pride of America/NCL Pride is all American crew apparently including the wait staff and cabin stewards.

It's funny with all these vaccine threads. Some people on here think everyone wants to get these shots. I'm not sure of the percentage, but even if a good percentage of cruisers dont take the vaccine will there be enough people to fill the ships?  

I know some will say "take the shot or dont cruise". Well, that is why i posted the question i did. I think it will be impossible to fill the ships if its mandatory!! IMO

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is not strictly true from what I have heard. Though I have never been on it. The NCL ship Pride of America/NCL Pride is all American crew apparently including the wait staff and cabin stewards.

One ship, and for a very specific reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

One ship, and for a very specific reason. 

Yes for the brand of that. But to my understand it doesn't cost massive amounts of money to go on does it? Yet they must be paying American minimum wage? Yet they still make money on it? So maybe more ships can do that? Or is that operating as a loss leader for NCL? And they make it up with their other ships.

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yes for the brand of that. But to my understand it doesn't cost massive amounts of money to go on does it? Yet they must be paying American minimum wage? Yet they still make money on it? So maybe more ships can do that? Or is that operating as a loss leader for NCL? And they make it up with their other ships.

You know , you really should do a little bit of research before making statements on something that you obviously know nothing about.

a quick search shows that the starting price for Norwegians Hawaii cruises are at a minimum of $200 pppb while other lines doing Hawaii cruises are starting at $100 pppd.

Yes there is a very large price difference. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, ChC said:

A research last December indicates over 84% of Americans will accept the vaccine.

And the last paragraph also say the older Americans are more eager to get the vaccine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9056269/More-80-Americans-say-COVID-19-vaccine.html

84%?  No way it'll be close to that.  84% may have no issue with the vaccine, but 84% won't get it.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

This is the Royal Caribbean board......

• Like 2

Since we love to travel and just returned from an amazing getaway down in Cancun, we are definitely getting our vaccinations done. DW gets hers Monday. Me, undetermined yet, I am in category 1B and haven't been told when or where but registered with the VDH. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChC said:

This is not entirely true. Thailand signed a deal with Oxford/AstraZeneca to produce the vaccine locally back in November 2020.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2026547/thailand-signs-deal-with-astrazeneca-for-covid-vaccine

In the source it clearly stated AstraZeneca is also providing doses to the Philippines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/thai-firm-joins-astrazeneca-make-covid-19-vaccine-southeast-asia%3famp

Based on this article thailand could become a manufacturing hub for astra zeneca vaccine by middle of this year.  

Further proof that most people in the world wont be vaccinated till this summer/fall, hopefully cruises will restart this summer/fall.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You think we're going to be in this pandemic forever?

Possibly. It will never go away.  This will kill thousands even hundreds of thousands each year in UK/US vaccine or no vaccine. And will spread on cruise ships like wildfire vaccine or no vaccine. Cruising might very well be finished.

15 hours ago, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

I know you had a zillion cruises booked. Happy to see you were able to make other travel plans. I think land trips are the way to go until this mess is over. I wish I was retired. I stated a new job and it will take me some time to accumulate vacation time. These travel delays are forcing me to stay in driving distance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChC said:

I think you can believe in whatever you want to believe in. But if you want to speculate what general public think, you need to jump out from your narrative and pay attention to the broader spectrum. CDC research asked many people from all over the country and covers more than you could ever do. For that alone, maybe it is time for you accept you can not represent majority of the American people. Maybe it is time for your to consider CDC survey actually represent the reality better than your tunnel vision.

The CDC wants to destroy the industry because they don't like how illness spreads onboard. And their practice of saving ships in distress in the ocean that could be anybody lets just leave it at that on a public forum shall we. 

Cruising will NEVER return to the way it used be in December 2018 long before we heard of the term Covid 19. Masks will be worn on cruise ships to contain this forever more even when not worn on land. Self service buffets will never be on cruise ships again but on land. Mark my words.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC has bungled this whole thing.  So has the entire western world in how they report cases and deaths.

And investigations of cause of death. Death within 28 days of positive test FOR ANY REASON is all it takes to be listed in UK. 

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well it would have to be after nov 1 2021 as the cdc has mandated tested until then. I'm hoping they can find a way to cruise before the cdc order lifts.

I must have missed something and you just made it clearer.

I had heard rumors about the CDC date of later this year when it will let cruises start, this post shares the start date.

TY