Hospitalizations and cases are falling, travel restrictions are rising...

CroozFanatic

3 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Did you see what Canada just did? Nobody leaving Canada now.

Not true.  Flights to ‘sun destinations’ in the Caribbean have been suspended.  If a Canadian wants to go to Europe, can be done.... if they’ll let you in.  Of course, coming back is more of a hassle with the CV-19 pre-flight screening but what the heck, the Canadian government has had a non essential no travel advisory in place since last March and some people still don’t understand what that means so some additional inconvenience may help them in deciding whether they really need to go.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Me thinks I'm not being told everything.

What do you think is being kept a secret?  Seems to me that minimizing new infections - especially the new variants - just when large numbers in Canada and the US will be vaccinated in the next few weeks is a dang good idea.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Hospitalizations and cases may well be falling, but are they falling as quickly as we would like them to? Cases and hospitalizations also mean deaths, so the quicker we can reduce the first two, the sooner we can reduce the latter. Travel restrictions are rising, at least here in Canada, as they are one way to minimize cases generally and new variants specifically.

• Like 3

Same with the UK, we are at last trying to prevent the new strain being brought in.

You will have to isolate in a hotel for 10 days, to be paid by the traveller, as people have NOT isolated on arrival in the past.

Australia & New Zealand have had this during most of 2020.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Not true.  Flights to ‘sun destinations’ in the Caribbean have been suspended.  If a Canadian wants to go to Europe, can be done.... if they’ll let you in.  Of course, coming back is more of a hassle with the CV-19 pre-flight screening but what the heck, the Canadian government has had a non essential no travel advisory in place since last March and some people still don’t understand what that means so some additional inconvenience may help them in deciding whether they really need to go.

"coming back is more of a hassle"...understatement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Caribbean AND Mexico....travel ban.....and hotel (all at own expense) for 3 days on return.  If covid positive, then further segregation.  I truly hope this works re the 'international travel' aspect.  Now, maybe we should be tougher locally to stop the community spread. We're mostly shut down but hard to impose fines for visiting in larger numbers considering civil rights, etc.  Common sense would be a good thing.  If I were now in southern US sunspots, I'd be a little concerned re our health benefits.  Some officials are considering if they apply if one gets ill with the virus after this notification and denial to return within prescribed date.  If not, the expense would be horrid for those without extra travel insurance considering what US hospitals/doctors charge for care.  Would get my butt back over the border quick.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

Positive cases are not declining in Florida. We had over 14,000 new positive cases yesterday and a positivity rate earlier in the week of over 14%. I kind of think that speaks for itself. Kudos to Canada for being proactive.

It seems that positive cases and hospitalization trends in FL are dropping (but still high).  Death trends lag by several weeks.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2021/01/27/two-charts-show-positive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

• Like 1

Well you can only ask nicely for so long. Canada has had an international travel advisory since March which makes getting travel insurance difficult if not impossible. People still travelled. We have had isolation protocols for months people disregarded them, so now it's time to stop asking nice. We suggest you don't travel but if you really think that your vacation is "essential" then here is what happens when you come home. You get to be tested on arrival and you get to pay for the privilege of staying in a government approved quarantine hotel while the results come back. Now if you come back positive you can pay for the full quarantine. So is that $995.00 all inclusive in Cancun that great of a deal when it will cost $2,000.00 when you get home? Don't forget the time that your boss may not be very forgiving over. Now are you sure that trip is "essential" travel?

• Like 13

7 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

And they want numbers to continue to fall as well as contain the new strains as best they can.  Don't need idiots flying off for fun in the sun and bringing it back from their romp in warmer destinations that ignore common sense and safety

• Like 5

I look at it as the same thing that I'm personally doing,  my vaccine appointment is in 5 days, & I've spent the last two weeks double masking for groceries & work, & doing nothing extra...  the last two months here in L.A. have literally been a h*ll hole, & I'd hate to get it when I'm about to get my first real shot.   So, even though outdoor dining & haircuts opened for the first time in months, I'm not doing it until I'm vaccinated,  I think many countries are having the same attitude, get the most vulnerable vaccinated, & then reassess.  Maybe I'm a pollyanna, but I think things are going to look much better for Europe, UK, & N. America by April, hopefully by then we'll have a better handle on having all HCW & over 65 vaccinated.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

Positive cases are not declining in Florida. We had over 14,000 new positive cases yesterday and a positivity rate earlier in the week of over 14%. I kind of think that speaks for itself. Kudos to Canada for being proactive.

And yesterday the cases were 7900 with a positivity rate of under 6%, the numbers are slowly getting better.  Yes we had the numbers you state on that one day, but all other days last week the numbers were lower than that and in all but one other day the positivity was under 10% all week.  

Still way too high, of course.

Track Testing Trends - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center (jhu.edu)

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I'm not doing it until I'm vaccinated,  I think many countries are having the same attitude, get the most vulnerable vaccinated, & then reassess.

You need at least 3 weeks after you have been vaccinated to be sure you have some protection.