An Idea For Canceled Alaska Cruises

tserface

I was wondering today if Royal might consider rerouting ships like Ovation that were doing Alaska during the Summer and Fall and just do a California Coastal with a stop in Ensenada instead.  I think it could still leave from Seattle and do a round trip in 7 days by just having a couple of sea days on the way back.  I don't know all of the status of Mexico, but other cruise lines have itineraries going there during the Alaska season.  I think this would work, technically, so long as it's a round trip.

If they couldn't do it from Seattle, maybe they could from San Francisco.  I still think Seattle could work.

Of course, there will be some who don't want to go to Mexico or California instead of Alaska, but I bet many of us would be willing if it meant we got to cruise. It would also help the economy of many cities in California, Washington, and Oregon.

This doesn't help the east coast itineraries, but it's something ... 

Has this been discussed?

Tom

• Like 1

California laws require ships that homeport there to connect to shorepower when docked.  Royal does not have any ships with that capability.  They are only allowed to port there a few times a year without using shorepower.   

As already mentioned Washington State is slowly starting to open on a limited basis.  I also doubt that there will be too much push to open cruising.

At this point I would not expect Royal to spend too much time and money to send the ships to the west coast on a maybe.  I expect they would concentrate on getting started cruising out of Florida on at least a limited basis. 

• Like 2

I am for any cruising, anywhere.  I have four cruises out of Seattle in June and July 2021 and I have my doubts that they'll go...notwithstanding my three in May 2021 are probably a no-go now that Norwegian has cancelled all May 2021 cruises.  But I have traveled, and still do the USA, every month by two or more weeks by revisiting and seeing new places.  That has been interesting.

There is still the matter of getting any ship close to the west coast.  While other cruise lines have ships in the area, Royal does not.  

A transpacific or Panama Canal transit costs a lot of money.  The Panama Canal charges passenger vessels based on the number of berths on board, not the number of revenue passengers on board. 

Moving ships from where they are to the west coast empty of revenue passengers is a massive cost so the revenue potential would have to far exceed the revenue potential to operate the ship where it is now for them to even consider moving ships to the west coast and then having to move them back.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s not just Alaska that cruiselines won’t be sailing from  this summer. 

I am still waiting for that other shoe to drop...as I am sure you are too...and many others.  😉 

Would like to know 100% sure that I can make alternate plans for this summer.  

17 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

California laws require ships that homeport there to connect to shorepower when docked. 

OT sorry - but right after I read your comment about shorepower I saw this article about it coming to Port Miami 🙂

"Miami Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced that Miami-Dade County signed a joint statement with six cruise companies – Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean International, and Virgin Voyages – and Florida Power and Light to bring shorepower to PortMiami.

The letter is a first step to begin the process of implementing shorepower at PortMiami.

According to a statement, the Mayor's office will convene a working group with representatives of each company to work toward an initial installation and eventually a full rollout in the years to come. Entrepreneur and former Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine is helping lead this initiative as a volunteer special advisor focused on the future of cruising, working with the Mayor's office, the Port, and cruise companies to shape a more resilient cruise industry.

"This is a major win for our Port, the environment, the entire region, and the state of Florida, and I’m incredibly proud to deliver on my commitment to bring shore power to our community with this initiative. The goal is to make PortMiami the first seaport in the State of Florida and the southeastern United States to provide shore power hookup – not just the cruise capital of the world but a leader in sustainability," said Mayor Levine Cava.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24397-shorepower-is-coming-to-portmiami.html

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

OT sorry - but right after I read your comment about shorepower I saw this article about it coming to Port Miami 🙂

"Miami Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced that Miami-Dade County signed a joint statement with six cruise companies – Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean International, and Virgin Voyages – and Florida Power and Light to bring shorepower to PortMiami.

The letter is a first step to begin the process of implementing shorepower at PortMiami.

According to a statement, the Mayor's office will convene a working group with representatives of each company to work toward an initial installation and eventually a full rollout in the years to come. Entrepreneur and former Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine is helping lead this initiative as a volunteer special advisor focused on the future of cruising, working with the Mayor's office, the Port, and cruise companies to shape a more resilient cruise industry.

"This is a major win for our Port, the environment, the entire region, and the state of Florida, and I’m incredibly proud to deliver on my commitment to bring shore power to our community with this initiative. The goal is to make PortMiami the first seaport in the State of Florida and the southeastern United States to provide shore power hookup – not just the cruise capital of the world but a leader in sustainability," said Mayor Levine Cava.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24397-shorepower-is-coming-to-portmiami.html

Yes, I was just reading about this. POM posted it on FB. Very interesting to see all the different cruise lines working together on this along with FP&L. 

• Like 1

OP, Seattle to Ensenada, at 24 knots, is just over 2 days each way, so expensive for the cruise line, and not much time available for port calls along the way.  And, as noted, there would only be a couple of cruises able to get the exemption to shore power each year for RCI.

Sounds like shore power is a few years off in Miami.  Expect some increase in  cruise fares to cover the $1+ million per ship needed to modify it for shore power.  And, if the cruise lines are ponying up for the land based infrastructure (or a part of it), then that is a further cost to be covered by fares.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

OP, Seattle to Ensenada, at 24 knots, is just over 2 days each way, so expensive for the cruise line, and not much time available for port calls along the way.  And, as noted, there would only be a couple of cruises able to get the exemption to shore power each year for RCI.

Sounds like shore power is a few years off in Miami.  Expect some increase in  cruise fares to cover the $1+ million per ship needed to modify it for shore power.  And, if the cruise lines are ponying up for the land based infrastructure (or a part of it), then that is a further cost to be covered by fares.

Yeah, I didn't know about "Shore power" and the logistics of cruise timing and stuff.  I, like so many, would just love to see a way for it to work somehow.  I know it's a lot of wishful thinking.

Tom

US lawmakers asked Canada to consider allowing cruise ship 'technical' stops, and Alaska Rep. Don Young put forward a bill to provide a temporary cabotage waiver.

Both efforts, seen as longshots, are attempts to enable cruising to restart in North America following Canada's decision to block ships carrying more than 100 people

House Transportation Committee's plea

In a letter to the ambassador of Canada to the US, House of Representatives Transportation Committee leaders asked to work toward a 'mutually agreeable solution' to enable cruising to resume while protecting citizens' health.

'While the cruise industry continues to work with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to resume cruising from US ports, and as the trajectory of the virus moves in a positive direction, we need to work in partnership with the Canadian government to enable the reopening of critical sectors of the US and Canadian economies while ensuring the safety of U.S. and Canadian citizens,' the letter said.

Economic impact

The lawmakers noted 'Canada plays an integral role in supporting US cruise-related travel and tourism in Alaska, Washington state, the Great Lakes and New England. Pre-pandemic, the cruise industry generated $2.85 billion in direct economic spending in these US regions combined, including more than 53,000 jobs and $3.1 billion in wages.

'The pre-pandemic economic impact of cruise-related travel in Canada is also significant, with the cruise industry generating nearly C$2 billion in direct economic spending, along with 30,000 Canadian jobs and more than C$1.4 billion in wages and salaries. By closing Canadian ports to passenger vessels for another year, the livelihoods of tens of thousands of Americans and Canadians are at risk from more job losses and further economic devastation.'

The lawmakers went on to suggest Canada permit cruise ship stops without disembarking passengers.

'It is our hope that this solution would both address the important health concerns of Canadian authorities and allow cruises to resume with the approval of US government authorities when it is deemed safe to do so,' the letter said.

Immediately following Canada's Feb. 4 decision to block cruise ships through Feb. 28, 2022, Transport Canada told Seatrade Cruise News that these so-called 'technical' stops would not be allowed for ships carrying passengers.

However, cruise lines and ports have continued to lobby for a change in heart.  

CLIA thanks

Commenting on the letter, Cruise Lines International Association thanked 'Chairman DeFazio, Ranking Member Graves and other signatories of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee for their leadership in facilitating dialogue with the Canadian government to determine a path for resumption of cruises to Alaska should cruising resume in the US this year.

'CLIA looks forward to working with the Canadian and US authorities on a solution that addresses the public health needs of Americans and Canadians alike, while responsibly restarting a critical economic driver for the Pacific Northwest and Alaska,' the association said.

The Transportation Committee letter was signed by Peter DeFazio, a Democrat from Oregon; Sam Greaves, a Republican from Missouri; Salud Carbajal, chair of the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation and a Democrat of California; Bob Gibbs, ranking member of the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation and a Republican from Ohio; and Don Young, a Republican from Alaska.

Proposed PVSA 'workaround'

On Wednesday, Young introduced the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act that would provide a temporary Passenger Vessel Services Act workaround by deeming round-trip voyages between Alaska and Washington state as foreign voyages for the purposes of US law. The provisions are temporary and would only apply during the closure of Canadian waters and ports.

During Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings' business update Thursday, President and CEO Frank Del Rio expressed cautious optimism that Canada may decide to lift its cruise ban earlier than a year from now, as the public health situation is likely to improve.

Del Rio also acknowledged Alaska-led initiatives that 'may allow Alaska cruises to operate in 2021.'

CDC is key, no matter what

Of course, key to it all is the CDC advancing its framework for conditional sailing order. Technical instructions are awaited from the agency to get cruise ships beyond the first step of compliance.

US asks Canada to OK 'technical' stops, Alaska bill PVSA 'workaround' (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The lawmakers went on to suggest Canada permit cruise ship stops without disembarking passengers.

Writing the letter to suggest that Canada allow technical stops makes no sense.

US customs and immigration has already declared that technical stops are in violation of the PVSA as evidenced by no more technical stops in Ensenada. 

Since the PVSA would need to be changed to allow technical stops then why not just change it so that no stop is required as there is really no difference.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Writing the letter to suggest that Canada allow technical stops makes no sense.

US customs and immigration has already declared that technical stops are in violation of the PVSA as evidenced by no more technical stops in Ensenada. 

Since the PVSA would need to be changed to allow technical stops then why not just change it so that no stop is required as there is really no difference.  

However politicians don’t care about technical aspects. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

I like the idea of declaring Alaska a foreign destination for the purpose of US law.

I wonder if that happens Royal would allow me to shift my sailing back from 2022.  

Going to be like it was when I was a child many, many years ago.....................No takebacks !

• 2 months later...

Royal wants you to be a virtual tourist:

Royal Caribbean Group has pledged its support for the Shop Local Alaska Program, an initiative by the BuyAlaska Program and Voyij.com, an online marketplace exclusively for Alaska businesses, according to a press release.

The Shop Local Alaska program directly generates revenue for port town businesses by marketing Alaska products to millions of people out of state, according to a statement, and was created as a response to the uncertainty of the 2021 cruise season Royal Caribbean Group said it has agreed to raise awareness of Alaskan-owned businesses in port towns that are struggling to survive. In addition to Alaska’s scenery and wildlife, small businesses that give port-towns their unique character and charm have been a major draw for visitors.

“Alaska is the premier destination place in the world,” said Governor Mike Dunleavy. “I am committed to deploying all resources that result in increased partnerships like the “Shop Local Alaska” initiative that spurs Alaska’s economy and directly benefits small businesses across our state.”

The Shop Local Alaska Program will be marketed to guests of the company’s cruise lines, Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, around the globe. They will be able to browse virtual Alaskan stores and buy with confidence on Voyij.com during this period when ships are not able to take them there. The site offers a wide variety of Alaskan products; from locally caught fish to beautiful Alaskan jewelry to Native Art to clothing of the North. Any Alaskan-owned business can list their products on the Voyij marketplace.

Thriving small businesses in Alaska means good business for Alaska travel suppliers. Royal Caribbean Group is the first major travel supplier to hop on board with the Shop Local Alaska program in support of keeping Alaska’s small businesses open for when cruise visitors return to Alaska.

“Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises guests love Alaska for its awe-inspiring natural beauty. Yet, it is the people and experiences of the Last Frontier that create lasting memories” said Wendy Lindskoog, associate vice president, Government Relations for Royal Caribbean Group. “Travel brings people together. We are thrilled to support the Shop Local Alaska campaign. It is a small way for our cruise lines and guests to stay connected to Alaska until our ships return to sail to the 49th state.”

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24863-royal-caribbean-group-steps-up-to-support-local-alaska-program.html

• Thanks 1

I like the idea of the PVSA "workaround", which would also benefit the East Coast foliage cruises. 

"Proposed PVSA 'workaround'

On Wednesday, Young introduced the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act that would provide a temporary Passenger Vessel Services Act workaround by deeming round-trip voyages between Alaska and Washington state as foreign voyages for the purposes of US law. The provisions are temporary and would only apply during the closure of Canadian waters and ports."