Strangest things done on board

W283386

We had lunch in the buffet.  Nearby was a table with two parents and several school-age children.  The children could politely be described as messy eaters.  A large amount of food and drink ended up on the floor under them and around them.  Parents never said a word.  When they left, crew immediately moved in to close off the entire area so they could clean up.

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We had lunch in the buffet.  Nearby was a table with two parents and several school-age children.  The children could politely be described as messy eaters.  A large amount of food and drink ended up on the floor under them and around them.  Parents never said a word.  When they left, crew immediately moved in to close off the entire area so they could clean up.

This is why we sail on Celebrity.  Yes I know there are some kids but clearly and smartly the ships were not designed with kids in mind.  That said, some of the adults I have seen in the buffet could probably give that family a run for their money.

3 hours ago, drsel said:

On one of my Cruises I remember meeting a small Chinese group, who were always well dressed, prim and proper every single day of the Cruise.

They had the best manners and were most dignified.

Exactly why I didn't talk about her homeland. The others were very nice and I think that Tea Bag has a good insight about possible dementia. My favorite uncle peeled 5 lbs. of green apples over his daughter's brand new white carpeting (he wanted a pie).

2 hours ago, Orator said:

I would show no mercy and put her off the ship in the next port.

LOL--- You would have to put many from the " Slugfest on 14 " off the ship as well.

It's a disgrace how some folks are and it has nothing to do with where the hell they come from.

6 hours ago, drsel said:

Which is her country?

I don't think that is the norm in any country, although at the Raffles hotel Singapore, it is customary to throw peanut 🥜 shells on the floor while sipping the delicious Singapore Sling, their signature cocktail.

Yep. been there, done that.  Also enjoy Singapore Slings when flying Singapore Airlines.

We did Legend of Seas b2b out of Hong Kong in 2010?  (Our  friends son lives there)  We were probably in the minority about 20% non Chinese passengers,  all I can say is never again

Pushed out of the way for elevators

They spit out food in the buffet and MDR

Food and fruit piled a good 10 inches high on plates as if the world was going to end.

Fortunately we could laugh about it being a 4 but would have hated to experience that as a couple

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

This is why we sail on Celebrity.  Yes I know there are some kids but clearly and smartly the ships were not designed with kids in mind.  That said, some of the adults I have seen in the buffet could probably give that family a run for their money.

Several years ago I was having lunch in the buffet. Recovering from a broken ankle I brought my cane, set down my drink and beach bag, as I had just come from pool area, drink on table and bag on the bench. Went to get a plate of food to come back and see drink gone another couple sitting there had slid my bag over. They didn't care, said it was their table now.  

we saw an older not well shaped man laying  on a deck chair.. a spot where everyone walks by near the grill.. oh what was he wearing???  The old style tightie whities.. yes those cotton ones with all the extras.. the opening and all

We were having lunch in a buffet bump-out area on Galaxy many years ago. I walked over to the side  window and looked down. A lady on a lower deck leaned over her balcony railing as she combed out her long, wet hair. When she stood up, I realized she was completely nude. It was not a pretty site. 

Also, I do not remember the ship or sailing, but there was a solo lady who regularly had breakfast in the buffet. She would sit at a table and hail a staff member to come to her table and put in her breakfast order. She wanted her food and coffee delivered to her table, as if she were dining in a restaurant. She was very particular about her coffee and always complained and sent it back several times. The staff avoided her section of the buffet.

Edited by Glendakayself

On 3/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, JJCas said:

I remember a post on another part of this site saying that someone got up very early in the morning and went for a walk on deck.  They came across 2 very large people in a hot tub by the pool who were bathing, soap, shampoo and all.

I bet I cruised with those people. Did they both ride scooters? On either the Summit or the Equinox, out of Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Several years ago I was having lunch in the buffet. Recovering from a broken ankle I brought my cane, set down my drink and beach bag, as I had just come from pool area, drink on table and bag on the bench. Went to get a plate of food to come back and see drink gone another couple sitting there had slid my bag over. They didn't care, said it was their table now.  

I've seen people come up to a table where one person was sitting, the other had gone to get more food, a woman walked to the table and took the empty chair.  The person sitting there said her friend was coming back, the woman taking the chair never even looked at her just walked away and brought the chair to another table.  The buffet, always the best entertainment on board.

Edited by LGW59

DH and I always go separately to the buffet.  One stays and mans the table.  I was seated there with my breakfast and this man came along and sat down.  I told him that was my husband's seat and he was getting his breakfast.  His answer?  "But I want to sit here".  Maybe I should have flirted with him and chatted him up, he might have been rich!!🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

DH and I always go separately to the buffet.  One stays and mans the table.  I was seated there with my breakfast and this man came along and sat down.  I told him that was my husband's seat and he was getting his breakfast.  His answer?  "But I want to sit here".  Maybe I should have flirted with him and chatted him up, he might have been rich!!🤣🤣

This is exactly why I say it has the best "entertainment" on board!

9 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

You could also have accidently on purpose spilled a glass of juice on him.

• Like 1

On one cruise, I remember 3 college girls charming a big fat guy into buying them multiple rounds of drinks in one of the bars.

They were flirting with him right left and centre.

I wonder if he got anything more than the pleasure of their company

Edited by drsel
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I was seated there with my breakfast and this man came along and sat down.  I told him that was my husband's seat and he was getting his breakfast.  His answer?  "But I want to sit here".  Maybe I should have flirted with him and chatted him up, he might have been rich!!🤣🤣

Maybe he found you very attractive and interesting and was trying his luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

I have had fellow passengers take my wet clothes out of the washer (when it was done) in order to use it themselves.  They piled my wet clothes on the counter because I wasn't  there when the washer ended.  Also want to be there right when the dryer ends to hang/fold my dry clothes.  This means sitting in the laundry room waiting for the end of each phase washing / drying.  

I was going to explain this to you, but the poster below did it much nicer and more succinctly than I could have. I'll just add that it is very poor form to not be there when your washer or dryer ends, whatever happens with your clothing is on you. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

Laundries available to passengers on Cunard, Azamara and Seabourn all have timers on the washers and dryer’s.   I just set my watch for the time my washer will be done and arrive a few minutes early on set up a dryer.   It is common that clothing left in washers or dryers once the cycle is completed are moved to the small laundry baskets provided.    I have never spend time in the laundry, just the few minutes to move my clothes from washer to dryer and to pick them up when drying is complete.   Simple courtesy is required because of the shortage of machines so never leave your clothes in a machine when they are done.

• Like 1

One cruise a few years back we were invited to the Captain’s table.  Anyway between main course & dessert a woman comes up starts talking to the woman at the other end of the table, starts drinking her wine then she pulls up a chair & orders dessert from the waiter who didn’t quite know what to do.   The Hotel Director looks to the Captains Club host as he wanted him to do something but he just shrugged, so the Hotel Director asked this women if she’d like to join us. Meanwhile she is already sitting down?  We found out later the Captain’s club Host was moved to another ship after that cruise.  It was certainly very entertaining.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, Pinboy said:

People are people-- you can't teach " class ". 

Best place to teach class, is at home.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, drsel said:

On one of my Cruises I remember meeting a small Chinese group, who were always well dressed, prim and proper every single day of the Cruise.

They had the best manners and were most dignified.

This has been my experience as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Best place to teach class, is at home.

This has been my experience as well.

A few cruises ago I was solo at a table in MDR with 6 others. One gentleman had a bottle of wine which he poured for himself and his wife. I had a glass of wine I had brought from my cabin. As I'm curious about wines I asked to see the label, he moved the bottle out of my reach. A few nights later I decided to bring a bottle from my stateroom to drink for the remaining nights. The same man asked me if he could have a glass of my wine. Strange comment. His wife was quite nice though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I had something similar happen.  We went to the theater and I took two end seats of an eight seat row.  The DH was only indisposed for a brief period.  Some woman walked up and demanded I relinquish my seats as she had 7 friends.    The policy on the ship was only reserving for a single other person so it wasn't me that was the problem.  I  politely leaned over and whispered a response, then I left for another seat.

The other strange thing was not so trivial.  We had a small group who jogged together every morning on the upper deck.  Some drunk tried to trip us.  Later he was hauled away be security for that and other infractions.  I have not returned to that cruise line since.  

Edited by Mary229

Another strange happening, possible alien abduction.

My Wife and I on the first night of a Celebrity cruise, a table for 6, introductions etc., all going well.

Sommelier arrived, wine discussions as to who, what where.  Agreed for each couple to take turns in buying the wine for t(e whole table.

With great input from the other four with suggestions and assistance from the Sommelier wine ordered, 1 white, 2 red, 1 dessert then a round of cocktails.

Bill presented, viewed, signed. Enquiry from a male dinner companion as to the value of the receipt, asking to view.  Passed, read, shown around.  Asked who’s honour for tomorrow, calling the Sommelier over.  Table silent, Sommelier stood waiting, then left along with the four in silence.

Next evening only my Wife and I were the only guests seated. No message or excuses.  
Never saw them again on the Ship. Strange?

On 2/25/2021 at 5:58 PM, phoenix_dream said:

For me the strangest things I've seen onboard were on the now infamous spring break cruise on Connie a few years ago.  Imagine 3/4 of the ship filled with late teens/early 20's from two different Florida colleges.  Imagine drink packages and then imagine the 21+ year olds buying shots for their younger friends.  I can't even describe some of what i saw without being kicked off of Cruise Critic😲

We were on that cruise! I was picking up an night cap at the Rendezvous Lounge. A young lady was ordering at the bar and presented her seapass and her ID. I told her she didn't need to show her ID. She said they were required to because people were swapping cards to get drinks. I asked her what deck she was on, she said deck 3. I ask her "what does it smell like? Engine oil, pot, beer or vomit?" She said "YES"! Cudos to security on that trip! They earned their pay on that cruise! Some where I have a photo of the sea of youngsters around the pool.

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Next evening only my Wife and I were the only guests seated. No message or excuses.  
Never saw them again on the Ship. Strange?

Dang, how rude! When first reading I thought you meant each couple would pay for one of the bottles. I'm sure that was sticker shock for many but I would have at least offered to pay for one of the bottles and explain I would not be able to join in again.