Is Perry Grant still on Celebrity?

sjde

We saw his last shows on X while on a TA in Spring 2016.  It was not an amicable departure as he was told mid way through the sailing that he was done after that cruise and he didn't take it well and spoke a few times about it during his show and then suddenly he wasn't on the ship anymore.  

He was a fixture in Michael's club on Eclipse.  We're in our 60's and his music was way too old for us but he had a very loyal following of 80'ish women who were all on a first name basis with him. Believe he was a victim of Michael's conversion to suite only lounge.  After X he moved over to Princess and his entourage likely followed.  

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Haha 1

My friends enjoyed his performances on RCL. It was a longer Caribbean sailing on (I believe) the Radiance. In fact, one of the very last sailings prior to Covid shut down. My friend was under the impression that he hoped to be back on Royal.

It wasn't because of Michael's Club – on our Eclipse cruise in 2015 he was performing in Cellar Masters.  That wasn't a good venue for him, but he made it work [I can see why the old version of Michael's would have been perfect for him].  He also did a show in the theater, and was part of the Liar's Club panel.  He and Sue Denning worked well together on stage.  I can see that he was what they call an 'acquired taste,' but I enjoyed his performances.  When he left Celebrity he first went to Crystal, and I thought that might work out.  But maybe too expensive for his fan club.  If we end up on the same cruise someday, I will look forward to his shows.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It wasn't because of Michael's Club – on our Eclipse cruise in 2015 he was performing in Cellar Masters.  That wasn't a good venue for him, but he made it work [I can see why the old version of Michael's would have been perfect for him].  He also did a show in the theater, and was part of the Liar's Club panel.  He and Sue Denning worked well together on stage.  I can see that he was what they call an 'acquired taste,' but I enjoyed his performances.  When he left Celebrity he first went to Crystal, and I thought that might work out.  But maybe too expensive for his fan club.  If we end up on the same cruise someday, I will look forward to his shows.

We saw Perry a couple of times doing Liar's club.  He was great at it.  I hope to see him perform again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

He was a fixture in Michael's club on Eclipse.  We're in our 60's and his music was way too old for us but he had a very loyal following of 80'ish women who were all on a first name basis with him. Believe he was a victim of Michael's conversion to suite only lounge.  After X he moved over to Princess and his entourage likely followed.  

He was on one of our  M Class sailings...when there was still a Michaels Club for all.   Tried his lounge routine once. ..not our style or cup of tea,  and the  place was way overcrowded with  his loyal fans.  That left us limited lounge  options to enjoy...other sitting at the Cafe Baccio area or aft bar some nights. There was more variety on S Class but it's been awhile.  Last cruises were on the Edge.

We like the newer programming where the acts rotate through diff venues..worked great on EDGE.!

Thanks for all the responses.

Baron Barracuda- Interesting that you say  that ("We're in our 60's and his music was way too old for us but he had a very loyal following of 80'ish women")  because we were in our late 50's when we saw him. :)

We loved Stryker too (on HAL).

Edited by sjde

27 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we used to contact the cruise lines before we booked to make sure that he was not on those sailings..His whole act was repulsive......saw him once and that was plenty...

Perry was, I guess, an "acquired taste."  We went to one of his shows on one of the M Class ships just t see what all the hubbub was about. 

One and done for us.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Perry was, I guess, an "acquired taste."  We went to one of his shows on one of the M Class ships just t see what all the hubbub was about. 

One and done for us.  

I've only seen him on YouTube. Not my taste, at all...

Which wasn't the OPs question, of course, which has been answered. He's not onboard Celebrity.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:52 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

We also saw him on the Eclipse.  While he was corny, we laughed at his sense of humor.  He show was always packed.  I remember his groupies following his performance.  They would come to the lounge early and reserve the front seats.  While we aren't as old as his typical crowd, we did enjoy him and wouldn't mind seeing him perform again.  Hope he is still well.

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

we used to contact the cruise lines before we booked to make sure that he was not on those sailings..His whole act was repulsive......saw him once and that was plenty...

I've been on cruises with him, but he was easy to avoid. That was pre-Michaels Club for suites and Zeniths. I was like ECCruise. Saw him once and was done. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

So you would actually not book a cruise just because he was on it, even though there are multiple venues you could visit that offer other music?  Interesting.  I can't even imagine hating an act so much to do that, but to each their own.

• Like 1

As I understand that the reason for termination was purely a business decision. While his fans were loyal beyond belief, they were not drinkers. The venues he used just didn't generate revenue that would support his contract. Toward the end he was encouraging his fans to order drinks. Not the best singer. Not the best piano player. But, quite the entertainer for a particular demographic and a very nice gentleman as well.

Problem back then was  limited  alternate venues..esp when Michaels Club  (which Perry Grant held court in,  in the evenings )  was taken away from the  Cap Club am and late afternoon gatherings..and  then evenings for all,  and was  given over to suite guests.  Few alternate spaces way back when...

We truly disliked the Miami DJ vibe that was onboard X for awhile.  Did our best to avoid those ships/ sailings...loud dj music, and CDs and events  to match. ...all not our style!

1 hour ago, Orator said:

As I understand that the reason for termination was purely a business decision. While his fans were loyal beyond belief, they were not drinkers. The venues he used just didn't generate revenue that would support his contract. Toward the end he was encouraging his fans to order drinks. Not the best singer. Not the best piano player. But, quite the entertainer for a particular demographic and a very nice gentleman as well.

That is exactly what we heard during our Eclipse TA in 2015, which was his last time on X.  It's why he wasn't very happy about how they cancelled him and he let his feelings be known to the crowd and what was supposed to be his last cruise, wound up being his last night.