Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

Hi, thanks everyone again! Hi Noreen, I tried to thank you personally but your email link isn't available.  By all means drop me an email, I'd like to exchange notes on our cruising experiences.  Essoblue2001@yahoo.co.uk.   Regards,  Sharon.  

On 3/1/2021 at 5:17 AM, ilikeanswers said:

I would love to say yes but I don't tend to go to any souvenir shops when travelling and usually my sightseeing takes up all the time so I'm not sure I would have any time left or I would even know where to purchase such an item😳. I think I would be more hinder than help😝.

For real - you would not know where to purchase a post card?    

29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It may not be easy to know that everywhere. Not every cruise go to places with lots of tourists, as you know. 

I don't know where to buy a postcard in my own hometown! I can guess where to go but as a tourist that's not as easy.

We don't have lots of tourists here but sometimes a cruiseship stops at our port with guests visiting our town.

39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If I don't know the shops how would I know which sell postcards and which don't? The last souvenir shop I went into only sold food products😂

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

If I don't know the shops how would I know which sell postcards and which don't? The last souvenir shop I went into only sold food products😂

I see.  🙄

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

It may not be easy to know that everywhere. Not every cruise go to places with lots of tourists, as you know. 

I don't know where to buy a postcard in my own hometown! I can guess where to go but as a tourist that's not as easy.

We don't have lots of tourists here but sometimes a cruiseship stops at our port with guests visiting our town.

No, it may not be easy everywhere.  One can say "not necessarily" to almost anything.    

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

No, it may not be easy everywhere.  One can say "not necessarily" to almost anything.    

But if you don't have much time at port and you don't know the shops then you may not be able to procure the requested product so the person will be disappointed☹️. In all honesty though I don't think I have seen a post card for years. They could have stopped making them and I would not notice 😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

But if you don't have much time at port and you don't know the shops then you may not be able to procure the requested product so the person will be disappointed☹️. In all honesty though I don't think I have seen a post card for years. They could have stopped making them and I would not notice 😂

I understand.   BTW, they still make post cards.  They are commonly sold in souvenir shops.      

49 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I understand.   BTW, they still make post cards.  They are commonly sold in souvenir shops.      

I suppose it also depends on the country. In Japan it seemed souvenir shops were focused on food items or votives. Never saw post cards in French Polynesia but I only went to a souvenir shop in the airport to use up my last XPF. I think post cards are mostly a western tradition🤔 though I have never been to a souvenir shop in Europe so I don't know what they usually sell though in Mostar some souvenir shops had outdoor displays but they only displayed statuettes😁

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I suppose it also depends on the country. In Japan it seemed souvenir shops were focused on food items or votives. Never saw post cards in French Polynesia but I only went to a souvenir shop in the airport to use up my last XPF. I think post cards are mostly a western tradition🤔 though I have never been to a souvenir shop in Europe so I don't know what they usually sell though in Mostar some souvenir shops had outdoor displays but they only displayed statuettes😁

I think that post cards are not uncommon in Japan.   Souvenir shops typically sell a huge variety of small items that would be mementos of the area.  You know, something to remind about the great trip someone had.   A lot of folks enjoy bringing home small memorabilia.  A lot of others would not think it fit to do such a thing.  We have a lucky cat (left paw up)  from a souvenir shop in China.  Probably cost something under $5.  Have other stuff too from babushka dolls to capri bells.   I understand that isn't your cup of tea.   

Edited by ldubs

Museums and art galleries frequently have picture postcards. I try to visit the museum shop first and will sometimes see a work of art that I did not know the museum held.

The day is long gone when every US motel had their custom postcards and matchbooks. I asked a clerk for postcards in the big chain drugstore and she did not know what I was talking about. The manager was old enough to remember when they still carried them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Now that would be MY kinda shop!

I don't know about that --- the "food" sold in souvenir shops tends to be largely along the lines of Tortola Rum Cakes, salt water taffy, boiled peanuts, gelatin alligators, and those little maple-leaf shaped chunks of maple sugar.  

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I don't know about that --- the "food" sold in souvenir shops tends to be largely along the lines of Tortola Rum Cakes, salt water taffy, boiled peanuts, gelatin alligators, and those little maple-leaf shaped chunks of maple sugar.  

One of our ports in Norway had the ubiquitous "Made in China" junk but then I found some local food items. I bought some Norwegian flake salt which I've really enjoyed.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

My experience was in Japan and they had things like sakura tea, matcha powder, pickles of all sort, lots of sakes😂, sweet potato chips and cakes, there were these puree fruit jellies that they would pack really elegantly and were pretty pricey🤔, my personal favourite mochis🤗 and all sorts of other things I didn't recognise though they were still allowing taste testing at the time so at least I could try them😜. It was fun for a souvenir shop. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

If you want something authentic, shop where the locals shop. As for postcards I usually see them without looking for them, which is to say if I were actually looking for them I wouldn't find them at all. I did buy the almost obligatory postcard when we were in Hell but postcards isn't something that we buy a lot of.

42  replies to a simple question.  I would tell you that I would try but I would also not go out of my way or spend a lot of time looking for postcards.  Who could argue w that reply.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On 3/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, whogo said:

US motel had their custom postcards and matchbooks

I used to pick these up everywhere "back in the day" even though I never smoked.  I don't know if matchbooks are as readily available these days.  

BTW - while I can't be sure, I would expect just about every cruise terminal might have a small shop selling at least a few post cards.  I don't think it would take much to get a post card for someone.

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I used to pick these up everywhere "back in the day" even though I never smoked.  I don't know if matchbooks are as readily available these days.  

BTW - while I can't be sure, I would expect just about every cruise terminal might have a small shop selling at least a few post cards.  I don't think it would take much to get a post card for someone.

I don't think they are. If you held onto the ones you picked up then some of them might be worth some money on eBay.

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't think they are. If you held onto the ones you picked up then some of them might be worth some money on eBay.

Yeah, I remember folks who used to collect the matchbooks from different places.   Probably they still do.  I wonder what is considered a rare match book cover.  

23 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Odds are that the cruiser will be home and able to tell anyone about their cruise well before (weeks) their postcard arrives in their mailbox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Odds are that the cruiser will be home and able to tell anyone about their cruise well before (weeks) their postcard arrives in their mailbox.

There was a postcard that I mailed in a far away port during my Antarctica cruise that has never arrived.  And, that was 2 years ago.  

Should I mention the Priority Mail package sent from Washington, D. C. that took two weeks to arrive in Dayton, Ohio?  

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I think so too.  I think a lot of folks want the postcard or the postal stamped postcard as a souvenir.  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There was a postcard that I mailed in a far away port during my Antarctica cruise that has never arrived.  And, that was 2 years ago.  

Come on now, be patient. 😀

You know, I'm enjoying these postcard and inside cabin threads a lot compared to all of the virus stuff. Not to say those are not important.  I'm just in overload I guess.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1