NO CRUISES UNTIL NOV 1-unless Dr Fauchi changes his mind!

zteamtwo

Not really new news, just disappointing. CDC refuses to lift the November 1, 2021 No Sail order.

"The CDC statement issued Wednesday was a reiteration of its current position, which is the same as it was when CDC issued the order on Oct. 30. The statement says that the order "remains in effect until Nov. 1, 2021. Returning to passenger cruising is a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading Covid-19. Details for the next phase of the CSO are currently under interagency review." -Travel Weekly

Edited by Queen of DaNile

8 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

If this were to happen in the next 3 months, what itineraries  would you envisage ?

I believe just Oceania has cruises booked to Bermuda from NYC. If memory serves me, Iceland has said they’ll accept vaccinated tourists as well. Is that one still on the books?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

Biden has no clue what's going on at our border let alone cruising. The CDC's comment is essentially a statement of "We are waiting for orders".  The movement to offshore (US) boarding is already underway and I expect to see O join that movement. It is insane to expect cruise lines to wait until this virus is eradicated before they can resume business. The governments of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, Houston, LA, etc., many of which are of the same political party as Biden, need to make a stand for their residents and economies.

Wasn't it on another thread just a couple of days ago that you had agreed to keep politics out of the discussion? Or was that a dream I had? 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

Trust me.   If Dr Fauci says it's ok to sail, we would be sailing.   He has the power, in certain political parties that are in power, to dictate policy.

I think at this point Dr. Fauci has got drunk with his power.  He should be fired and sent to a assisted living facility to recuperate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As much as people are disappointed (myself included),  people should realize that the CDC's mission is public health safety, first, and not recreation.   If they allowed return to business as usual, and several outbreaks resulted, imagine how they would be looked at then.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bob brown said:

As much as people are disappointed (myself included),  people should realize that the CDC's mission is public health safety, first, and not recreation.   If they allowed return to business as usual, and several outbreaks resulted, imagine how they would be looked at then.

There has to be a middle ground where we can return to cruising safely.  With a little work they can find a way. 

• Like 1

Looking for a 'middle ground'?   How about these for a 'start'?   If they handle it right, it might open up doors for more...🙂

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/search-result/?destination=&selMonth=2021-04

https://www.americancruiselines.com/find-a-cruise?cruise=&date=Apr/2021&duration=

https://www.alaska.org/cruises/small-ship-cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

The big stumbling block for any return to cruising in the US is the CDC's unwillingness to follow their own framework for a return to cruising.  They created an approach to return in phases.  They still have the cruise industry waiting for the 'technical guidance' that was promised on October 30th when they came up with this work around the 'No Sail Orders.'  They still have the industry stuck in their first phase and haven't shown any significant movement toward the next phase.

It's similar to a state refusing to grant driver license renewals unless you take a state certified driving course, but the state won't tell the driving schools what needs to be in a certified course, so they won't certify any courses.  Did you ever read "Catch 22"?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ORV said:

Wasn't it on another thread just a couple of days ago that you had agreed to keep politics out of the discussion? Or was that a dream I had? 

You're right but this issue got to me.And now we have Celebrity sailing their brand new ship, APEX, from Athens starting in June.  If they can do it so can O.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

You're right but this issue got to me.And now we have Celebrity sailing their brand new ship, APEX, from Athens starting in June.  If they can do it so can O.

Did you see what your great Governor DeSantis is trying to do to get the cruises back to FL? He and the AG are not sitting idle. 

4 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Did you see what your great Governor DeSantis is trying to do to get the cruises back to FL? He and the AG are not sitting idle. 

Yes. And he also announce that starting next Thursday, ANYONE in Florida can get the vaccine. he further stated that over 75% of FL seniors (65+) have had at least one shot.

So, the protection is out there and I believe you will see cases and deaths continue to decline significantly in the next 90 days as more and more people get the shots.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have always said that government bureaucracies will do what they feel like doing (even if they know they can't) until they're told by a judge to stop.  I have believed all along that the only way to get CDC off the dime was to bring legal action against CDC and make them justify their onerous, unrealistic mandates.  Finally, somebody with legal standing (Florida) is looking to do just that.  🤞

• Like 3

CDC is already getting smacked down in two different federal court districts over their evictions moratorium, but

1) these things take (too much) time

2) US Circuit/SCOTUS generally prefers that litigation percolates--they are loathe to jump in out of turn 

Edited by Shawnino
spelling

29 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Yes. And he also announce that starting next Thursday, ANYONE in Florida can get the vaccine. he further stated that over 75% of FL seniors (65+) have had at least one shot.

So, the protection is out there and I believe you will see cases and deaths continue to decline significantly in the next 90 days as more and more people get the shots.

Yes, my youngest daughter lives in Jupiter (Palm Beach County) and I signed her up yesterday for the vaccine. She was working, so I got online and she received the text by surprise. She also flirts with the pharmacist that will be giving it to her 😉  Vaccination dating perhaps?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Flapping his gums to the press doesn't count as "not sitting idle". So far the state, the cruise industry, nor any party with legal standing has filed suit in an attempt to block the CDC's edicts...and it's not as if this whole situation started yesterday...it's been going on for a year. Why do you think that is? With all the high powered lawyers the cruise lines can hire and all the states attorneys general and not one even feeble attempt at legal action...why? Maybe they're pretty sure they'll lose...that's why.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Flapping his gums to the press doesn't count as "not sitting idle". So far the state, the cruise industry, nor any party with legal standing has filed suit in an attempt to block the CDC's edicts...and it's not as if this whole situation started yesterday...it's been going on for a year. Why do you think that is? With all the high powered lawyers the cruise lines can hire and all the states attorneys general and not one even feeble attempt at legal action...why? Maybe they're pretty sure they'll lose...that's why.

Okie Dokie 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There is a legal concept that you cannot bring a lawsuit unless you can demonstrate you have suffered harm due to negligence or malfeasance.  Shutting down a major industry of a state without justification for more than a year may end up fitting into that concept giving Florida legal standing to bring a suit.  Maybe, it's taken until now for Florida to build up enough of a case for CDC malfeasance in light of their intransigence in the face of current conditions.  The conditions existing now are radically different from when the CDC did their first No Sail Order.  CDC can parse their words all they want but the Framework is just CDC's way of keeping their original No Sail Order in effect.  Neither CDC or Florida have the final word on whether or not CDC is justified in their actions.  It looks like the final word is going to need to come from a Federal Court.  Sometimes 'flapping your gums' with a state AG standing behind you can elicit proper conduct without even filing a suit.  As far as 'sitting idle' goes, it's the CDC doing that.  Even Walensky had no idea how to answer questions about the lockdown of the cruise industry other than saying 'No".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, my youngest daughter lives in Jupiter (Palm Beach County) and I signed her up yesterday for the vaccine. She was working, so I got online and she received the text by surprise. She also flirts with the pharmacist that will be giving it to her 😉  Vaccination dating perhaps?

Good mother.   Also I think DeSantis is doing a pretty god job. Better than most.   Sometimes he is between the rock and the hard place.  Not easy. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There is a legal concept that you cannot bring a lawsuit unless you can demonstrate you have suffered harm due to negligence or malfeasance.  Shutting down a major industry of a state without justification for more than a year may end up fitting into that concept giving Florida legal standing to bring a suit.  Maybe, it's taken until now for Florida to build up enough of a case for CDC malfeasance in light of their intransigence in the face of current conditions.  The conditions existing now are radically different from when the CDC did their first No Sail Order.  CDC can parse their words all they want but the Framework is just CDC's way of keeping their original No Sail Order in effect.  Neither CDC or Florida have the final word on whether or not CDC is justified in their actions.  It looks like the final word is going to need to come from a Federal Court.  Sometimes 'flapping your gums' with a state AG standing behind you can elicit proper conduct without even filing a suit.  As far as 'sitting idle' goes, it's the CDC doing that.  Even Walensky had no idea how to answer questions about the lockdown of the cruise industry other than saying 'No".

I know damn well what they need to demonstrate. DeSantis and the cruise industry certainly have a litany of complaints, which if even somewhat valid certainly would qualify.  Try some of these on for size:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-desantis-cruise-event-20210326-quhi6ue3ubgzxijf7ce323jqja-story.html

"DeSantis listened to testimony from industry leaders who say inaction by the federal government is keeping thousands of workers unemployed and putting a dent in Florida’s economy."

I'm curious...did DeSantis only learn of the dent in the Florida economy today when told by industry leaders? It's been going on for a year...and the No Sail Order ended in late October when it was replaced  by the Conditional Sailing Order five months ago. Where's he been all this time?

The heck with the politicians...where has the cruise industry been? Why haven't they taken legal action. Losing billions due to the CDC's inaction could have been proven long ago.

How about this: 

"Florida is planning to allocate $260 million in relief money to help seaports that have suffered losses during the pandemic, but that won’t be enough if ships can’t sail, DeSantis said.

Port Everglades is operating at a 54% loss, which forced the temporary or permanent loss of 14,000 jobs, according to the Broward County port’s statistics.

“We’re the most crippled by what they are doing with this national cruise lockdown,” DeSantis said. “If we get liberated from that, you are going to be able see maybe tens of thousands — maybe even 100,000 more people — end up going back to work"

Is that enough economic damage in Florida  to qualify?

The meeting was political grandstanding at it's best..."He also used the event as an opportunity to take shots at Biden’s administration"

Edited by njhorseman