My travel agent called me...

So, i got a call today from my TA, he told me to reconsider and cancel my Aug 22 cruise on Oasis from NJ.  He wants me to make a contingency plan, because he feels the cruise will be canceled and should think about an alternatives for that same week.  And airfare is on the rise and will remain high for a long while.

Do you guys think he is correct, or just looking to preserve commissions.  Im not sure what the right thing to do is.

I'm booked for a b2b on freedom to bermuda mid/end of august and really starting to doubt they will be sailing.  I'm thinking if rcl cancels then I may see about booking one of cruises out of bermuda.

But I wont cancel as I dont want any more FCCs.

I don’t think it will sail.

what I would do would be dependant on the price.  If I got a great price I would make final and wait for Royal to cancel so I could shift it to next year.  If it wasn’t a great price I wouldn’t make final and would take the refund or fcc in the case of a non refundable deposit. 

• Like 1

If any August sailings actually go out from the US, I would be really surprised if they were from Cape Liberty.  I would not expect they'd start up anywhere but in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. That said, I'm probably keeping my 8/29 and 9/5 bookings on Oasis until Royal cancels the sailings, or they actually sail. 🙂 Maybe after I go on Adventure out of Nassau I'll consider the idea of taking the last 2 Nassau sailings at the beginning of September instead, or at least hold onto them as a potential backup.

I've got a Sept. sail on Oasis and ve😊ry doubtful that it will come off.  Hate add'l FCCs as I'm using some on this sail,  Need a CPA to keep track of FCCs and deposits.

One of my original FCCs are from the Harmony Easter '19 sail which was applied + deposit to the Anthem Easter '20 sail and on to my Sept. Oasis sail.

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

I seriously doubt that that cruise will be a go.  I'm even wondering if my 5 nighter on Constellation out of Tampa in Nov. will be sailing.

It will be a shame as I got such a great price.

The TA won’t receive any commission unless you make final payment, and the cruise is suspended, or you take the cruise with confidence.  If you cancel now and have a NRD, you will lose that.  If they suspend, you will get 100% refund, or 125% FCC.   Also book air through the cruise line, using book now, pay later.  You won’t have to pay for flights until final, and will get a full refund if they suspend the sailing.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

So, i got a call today from my TA, he told me to reconsider and cancel my Aug 22 cruise on Oasis from NJ.  He wants me to make a contingency plan, because he feels the cruise will be canceled and should think about an alternatives for that same week.  And airfare is on the rise and will remain high for a long while.

Do you guys think he is correct, or just looking to preserve commissions.  Im not sure what the right thing to do is.

Probably won't happen but what alternative would the TA propose for the same week?  I would suggest any alternative be at a later date.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We are booked on Anthem for Thanksgiving, out of NJ naturally.  Does anyone think that will sail?  

Nov might though out of nj makes it more iffy. 

I'm in the camp nothing before nov 1st is likely to sail. 

I am in early August on Oasis. I have absolutely no expectation that it is going to sail.  I haven't canceled myself yet as I have a fantastic, once in a lifetime, price on 2 full suites (under 10K for both.) I am holding out hope that there will be some kind of miracle and Royal Caribbean will cancel before final payment so that I can lift and shift it again to next summer.  If they don't I will cancel before final payment and eat the deposit via the FCC.

13 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

I wouldn't cancel. I'd wait out RC. IMO poor advice from your TA to suggest you cancel the cruise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George C said:

Not sure , if you really want this cruise I would wait. Definitely there is a possibility of cruise sailing , although I wouldn’t want to bet on it.

I'll bet on it.  Back when  hurricane Dorian came through the Bahamas and it was so bad, people thought I was nuts for betting we'd get to go to CoCo Cay...well we did. That was our last cruise in Sept. 2019.   I'm betting on our Sept. 12th Allure.  What's to lose anyways, if they cancel you win.  I also do not want another FCC so I will just bide my time. It's their move... I think it's a win win with 125% refund.  I'm a half full gal...

glass half full.half empty.png

Edited by BecciBoo

36 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I'll bet on it.  Back when  hurricane Dorian came through the Bahamas and it was so bad, people thought I was nuts for betting we'd get to go to CoCo Cay...well we did. That was our last cruise in Sept. 2019.   I'm betting on our Sept. 12th Allure.  What's to lose anyways, if they cancel you win.  I also do not want another FCC so I will just bide my time. It's their move... I think it's a win win with 125% refund.  I'm a half full gal...

glass half full.half empty.png

You only get 125% if you take the FCC, not if you get a refund.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Can you get a refund? If so, get it.  Cruising to or from USA will not happen this summer. Your TA was giving you good advice.  

@Iplayslots would need to wait for RC to cancel the cruise first if (?) they booked with NRD deposit to get the refund. Good heads up by the TA but bad advise by the TA to suggest cancel if they booked with a NRD. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1