Carnival CEO Says No Vaccination Requirement

Djptcp

I think many people are jumping the gun.  As I said earlier CCL has made it quite clear they will abide by whatever CDC guidelines that are issued when they are issued.  I would not be cancelling a cruise until we have that information.  The bottom line is what is needed is clarity on what happens if a person gets sick, not whether they are vaccinated or not.  If you are vaccinated that should truly be your only concern, not whether the guy next door is vaccinated.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think many people are jumping the gun.  As I said earlier CCL has made it quite clear they will abide by whatever CDC guidelines that are issued when they are issued.  I would not be cancelling a cruise until we have that information.  The bottom line is what is needed is clarity on what happens if a person gets sick, not whether they are vaccinated or not.  If you are vaccinated that should truly be your only concern, not whether the guy next door is vaccinated.  

Not cancelling anything here, but will be watching to see what decisions are finally made about vaccines.  

Honestly I don't think there will be any real cruises that touch USA borders until sometime in 2022. The only way I see that changing is if COVID numbers REALLY REALLY go down and STAY down for at least a couple of months...and the way the USA and Europe are going that doesn't look real likely right now.

• Like 1

He must be thinking things are going to drastically improve in the next several months.  There is a 14day Northern Isles cruise scheduled for July 18 with three stops in Iceland.  Iceland’s current policy is that no one from outside the Schengen area will be admitted without proof of vaccination or of previous infection, and every person must still be tested.

If this policy does not change by July is the ship going to tell unvaccinated non-Schengen people that they must remain on board when the ship makes its three stops in Iceland?  Are the excursion people going to demand proof of vaccination before allowing people on their buses, in any country?

I’m wondering if he had completely thought this through before making his statement.

3 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

He must be thinking things are going to drastically improve in the next several months.  There is a 14day Northern Isles cruise scheduled for July 18 with three stops in Iceland.  Iceland’s current policy is that no one from outside the Schengen area will be admitted without proof of vaccination or of previous infection, and every person must still be tested.

If this policy does not change by July is the ship going to tell unvaccinated non-Schengen people that they must remain on board when the ship makes its three stops in Iceland?  Are the excursion people going to demand proof of vaccination before allowing people on their buses, in any country?

I’m wondering if he had completely thought this through before making his statement.

The policy has always been the same.  The cruise contract says the guest is responsible for visas and vaccines and may be denied boarding if they are not in compliance with the destination country's rules

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you. That’s very enlightening. It says Celebrity will be one of the first to offer fully vaccinated cruises. It doesn’t say that ALL their cruises will be fully vaccinated. A similar policy would allow HAL, and other Carnival brands, to offer vaccine optional cruises on certain ships, particularly those to  Alaska and the Caribbean. Other ships, especially those used for longer and varied itineraries such as Grand Voyages, could be fully vaccinated. Food for thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thank you. That’s very enlightening. It says Celebrity will be one of the first to offer fully vaccinated cruises. It doesn’t say that ALL their cruises will be fully vaccinated. A similar policy would allow HAL, and other Carnival brands, to offer vaccine optional cruises on certain ships, particularly those to  Alaska and the Caribbean. Other ships, especially those used for longer and varied itineraries such as Grand Voyages, could be fully vaccinated. Food for thought.

It says 18 yrs and older.  NCL specifically says No Unvaccinated Children.  Celebrity does not.  Are they allowing Children to Sail who are not Vaccinated?  

7 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

He should keep his mouth shut until he knows what the rules will be from the CDC and the countries where they sail to.

It certainly would be far better to wait or to have said just that - "We will comply with the local decisions be that in the US or any other country"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

His analogy to plane transportation is way off.  Yes you’re sitting next to someone for a few hours on a plane but you don’t then leave the plane, spend several hours on tour or in a city and then get back on the plane...day after day after day.  That’s what cruising is.

I can't fly to Europe in a few hours!  We have to connect through either ATL or CLT.  Scenario:  Check-in at MYR awhile before the flight and fly an hour to ATL then have a 2 hour plus layover waiting to board for a 9 - 10 hour flight or longer the from time of stepping on the Plane .   The Planes are now flying FULL and people will be taking off their Masks to eat and drink and the Rows are not that far apart and don't meet the 6 ft Rule of 15 minutes or longer!  Just saying!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

French President Macron announced that France is planning to accept later this summer American tourists who are vaccinated. If France does this, I'd imagine most of the EU would have to follow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emmanuel-macron-covid-restrictions-france-face-the-nation/

Macron didn't say vaccines will be required, just that having a vaccine will permit travel, but proof of a negative test without being vaccinated will also work.  "The idea indeed is altogether to offer that to the American citizen when they decide to vaccinate or with a PCR test being negative," he said."

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don't feel that way.  It's a worldwide pandemic and I'd feel very uncomfortable cruising unless all "best practices" are in place.  It seems fairly certain that the cruise lines can always find somewhere to sail from and somewhere to go, as there are countries that need the money so badly.  I'd feel icky knowing I'm vaccinated and "safe," but some other person on my ship is spreading the virus at sad port stops that don't have the benefit of our vaccination program and health care.  This is where I part ways with big business and oily politics.  That's my story and I'm stickin'' to it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

If you are vaccinated that should truly be your only concern, not whether the guy next door is vaccinated.  

My main concern about a vaccine requirement is not whether or not the guy next door is vaccinated.  My concern is whether or not another 1800 more passengers are also at risk of developing severe Covid-19 disease.  That could cause a huge outbreak onboard.  I think that many of the people who are refusing the vaccine are also the same people who stand right behind you at the store checkout counter, and those who refuse to wear a mask, so yes, I have a valid concern about the guy in the next cabin.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My main concern about a vaccine requirement is not whether or not the guy next door is vaccinated.  My concern is whether or not another 1800 more passengers are also at risk of developing severe Covid-19 disease.  That could cause a huge outbreak onboard.  I think that many of the people who are refusing the vaccine are also the same people who stand right behind you at the store checkout counter, and those who refuse to wear a mask, so yes, I have a valid concern about the guy in the next cabin.

That is what I said.  I said we need clarity on what happens if someone gets sick, that should be our concern not who is vaccinated and who is not

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Exactly, let's not jump to conclusions. Perhaps, the CCL CEO was kidding when he made the threat to relocate the ships? 👍

Unless he is going to do that he should have kept his mouth shut. RCCL is doing that but they had their plan in place before they made public statements

51 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

French President Macron announced that France is planning to accept later this summer American tourists who are vaccinated. If France does this, I'd imagine most of the EU would have to follow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emmanuel-macron-covid-restrictions-france-face-the-nation/

We have reservations in Paris during September.  Thank you for posting that.