Change in Carry-On Bag Policy

Ombud

For those of us who travel with just 1 carry-on bag::: the bag limits will be enforced going forward. Although stores sell bags that are 21" (23" with wheels) as the carryon bag, domestic US airlines state they will be firm with a 22" limit. So my new suitcase needs to be checked. Not an issue going abroad but definitely an issue going to / from East Coast ports.  All EZAIR airlines are shortening the bags to 22 x 14 x 9 in,  only SWA is staying with up to 24"

Adding: looking to see if overseas airlines (aka: Air Canada, Singapore, Nipon, Quantas) are more forgiving 

Edited by Ombud

These size limits ARE NOT NEW ... I reviewed old notes I made over the past couple of years ... 22x14x9 has been the limit for legacy carriers FOR YEARS ... and airlines long have stated wheels and handles are to be included when measuring ... 

26 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I thought Jet Blue permitted up to 24" like SWA. Oh well, I can't possibly fit everything in a 17" case. Tried. 

I am not familiar with Jet Blue ... by legacies I meant United and American.  

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

Adding: looking to see if overseas airlines (aka: Air Canada, Singapore, Nipon, Quantas) are more forgiving 

Yeah no. US airlines have been just about the most lax I have ever experienced around the world when it comes to carry-on bags. I constantly see airlines like Qantas, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, and others pull people aside at check-in or the gate to measure/weigh their carry-on. British Airways was one of the few international airlines that almost always allowed some massive carry-on bags like US airlines. 

13 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Be very careful of your weight and size requirements when flying Qantas or any airline into or out of Australia or NZ.  They are strict.

Very True!  On our last flight on New Zealand Air, they weighed our small carry-on bag, it could not weigh over 7 kilos.  We had to reshuffle bags at the counter, what a mess!

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Very True!  On our last flight on New Zealand Air, they weighed our small carry-on bag, it could not weigh over 7 kilos.  We had to reshuffle bags at the counter, what a mess!

They have a wgt limit on checked bags? Or are you saying they weighed your carry-on bag? (FWIW British Air tried to tell me I needed to check my old carry-on bc it was 10kg. Supposedly that was too heavy for me to store overhead. 😅🤣😂)

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

They have a wgt limit on checked bags? Or are you saying they weighed your carry-on bag? (FWIW British Air tried to tell me I needed to check my old carry-on bc it was 10kg. Supposedly that was too heavy for me to store overhead. 😅🤣😂)

Air New Zealand has strict weight and size limits on their carry-on bags. We have two sets of carry-ons --one for domestic flights, the other for European carriers. 

I for one will be glad they start enforcing policy....Too many people drag large overstuffed, heavy luggage down the aisle bumping into everyone and then can't lift or fit it easily into the overhead...Geez really...check that bag !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

I for one will be glad they start enforcing policy....Too many people drag large overstuffed, heavy luggage down the aisle bumping into everyone and then can't lift or fit it easily into the overhead...Geez really...check that bag !!

As a fit, youngish (mid-30s), 6' tall man, the number of people who knowingly bring huge bags on and then expect me to help them is too damn high. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

As a fit, youngish (mid-30s), 6' tall man, the number of people who knowingly bring huge bags on and then expect me to help them is too damn high.

Still remember the line in "The Enforcer" where Harry Callahan says about his new partner:

"She wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The sooner all airlines start charging those who want to bring maximum sized cabin luggage on board, the better. Trying to find room for my small carry on bag in the overhead locker,  when it is jammed full of these carry on monstrisities, is beyond a joke.  And, "no" I do not want to put my case on the floor,  thank you.

Fortunately some European locos are starting to implement this sort of charge, so change is on the way. 

• Like 2

I wasn't talking about 24" bags (although SWA allows those). I was lamenting about buying a 21" carryon (look at any online site & yes they say those are carryon) but turn out to be 22.7"-23.5" depending on wheels. I don't fly SWA domestically, usually Jet Blue,  and have no issue lifting my bag. 

Saw it as more of a PSA :: check ad sizes. Amazon is wrong - those aren't carryons

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

The sooner all airlines start charging those who want to bring maximum sized cabin luggage on board, the better. Trying to find room for my small carry on bag in the overhead locker,  when it is jammed full of these carry on monstrisities, is beyond a joke.  And, "no" I do not want to put my case on the floor,  thank you.

😍!  Such a policy is long, long overdue.

7 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I am not guilty of trying to lift and stuff a large bag in an overhead bin.  As a senior citizen, I have learned to pare down the size/weight of whatever carry-on I bring aboard a plane.  One's strength, one's ability to lift a carry-on of whatever type/size into an overhead bin decreases over time.  Your willingness to help others is appreciated by whomever you have helped.  I have gratefully benefited from such help by fellow passengers.  

What is irritating to me, but FlyerTalker explained the crew's situation when I posted my "complaint" a few years ago, is when a Flight Attendant, observing his embarking Delta One guests on an international flight, with me being at seat 2A, clearly in view of him (as I was of him), doing nothing as I struggled to get the proper sized carry-on in the overhead bin.  I appreciated the aid of the woman in seat 3A in helping me to get that darn bag in its proper place.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but my view is, if you can't lift it, you don't carry it.

Agreed. I've had to help before and it's not fair. Also while flying abroad i enjoy not fighting to be among the earliest on searching for an overhead bin. But still like carrying on for short domestic flights. Guess that's out now 

Edited by Ombud

15 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Agreed. I've had to help before and it's not fair. Also while flying abroad i enjoy not fighting to be among the earliest on searching for an overhead bin. But still like carrying on for short domestic flights. Guess that's out now 

Can I just say,  that if a person for any reason cannot put a small bag in the o/h locker, I,  and I hope everyone else, would be of assistance.   

But there is no way that anyone should expect a steanfer to heave a 15kg bag into a locker on their behalf.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciated the aid of the woman in seat 3A in helping me to get that darn bag in its proper place.  

Your welcome. I've been told a few times that stewards can't help.