No mask Required at CocoCay

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I find this so strange since Florida has been open for business for quite some time. Even here I see signs on the doors of the fast food restaurants advertising that the dining rooms are open. Nobody is inside but I think that everyone is just so spoiled with all of the drive up service that is being offered from all types of stores. I don't go into a store unless I have to. It's not because I'm afraid, it's because I have become lazy. Between all of the apps and delivery services there is no reason to waste time shopping or standing on line to wait for  a food order.

As someone who lives in Florida, you can tell people all day long that we’re open 100%, but businesses and consumers are still going to do what makes sense to them. Husband and I are fully vaccinated and have been eating out. Restaurants are nowhere near full and staff and customers are still masking up. A lot of the bravado put out is just for show. 

• Like 1

Just now, mauraoel said:

Yep yesterday on a flight

Must be Southwest. That’s their rule. Other airlines don’t do that. Probably because they had too many passengers taking 3 hours to eat a bag of peanuts.  See what somebody else’s bad behavior does to everyone else?

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Must be Southwest. That’s their rule. Other airlines don’t do that. Probably because they had too many passengers taking 3 hours to eat a bag of peanuts.  See what somebody else’s bad behavior does to everyone else?

Nope I don't fly southwest and it was announced as part of the safety briefing. 

United

Edited by mauraoel

6 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

United

Just talked to my husband. He flew United yesterday and said that was part of his briefing as well, although it’s a recent change. I still believe it’s a reaction to passengers abusing the mask rules.  The CDC rule is pretty plain: masks on except when eating or drinking for “brief” periods of time. Certainly allows the airlines to be more restrictive. 

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

14 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

United

I flew Alaska Airlines last month and it was the same. Every airline does it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It’s ALL airports and airlines, rail and bus stations trains and bus systems....basically all passenger travel of any kind, not just SWA. 

President Biden’s Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel by requiring travelers to wear face masks when they are in airports, bus and rail stations, as well as while on passenger aircraft, public transportation, passenger railroads, and over-the-road buses operating on scheduled fixed-routes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Lenny

Last year on Long Island beaches in the thick of the pandemic masks only needed to worn when using the restroom or ordering food or drinks at the concession stands. They had a 10 foot rule for sitting on the beach and the life guards had a 10 foot pole that they used to check if the spacing was questionable. This was at Robert Moses field 5.  They also had cones placed in every other parking space so you couldn't even park next to anyone.  In all my years going to the beaches on Long Island this was by far the best year. The water was even clean.

I cannot recall clean water at a beach in NY😀

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow, well reasonable supposition but even if you haven't moved and are still at the same table with the same mates?  The insanity continues.  Do the viruses fly around looking for people with their masks off longer than 10 minutes? 🙄 Seriously.  I can see putting on mask for a pit stop, but not if you're still sitting at the same table.  Nothing has changed.

Sometimes I wonder how these people come up with this stuff.

One thing has potentially changed — the volume of viral particles in the room, which have an odd tendency to just float all around the room along with the flow of air.  The idea is to limit the viral load, ie, the more virus particles you breathe in, the greater the risk.  So wearing a mask, while indoors, when you are not actively eating (ie, between courses) helps reduce the amount of viral load, if any is present. Although everyone will be vaccinated, it’s not 100% coverage, and a variant could come into play at any time.  

I think the goal is to regain as much normal activity and socialization possible, while being cognizant of the remaining risks.  Of course, some prefer not to take that approach.

Edited by 3kidsncats

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never been to a beach in NJ and have not been to a beach in the US since 1970.Are you saying that there is no social distancing on beaches in NJ ? How can that be ?

I grew up in Spray Beach, LBI, NJ and last summer we didn't wear masks on the beach and no requirement to do so this summer.    

social distancing is recommended everyone which is no problem at all for the beach down the street from our shore home, beach is only crowded on holidays, which I always avoid anyway.

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

As someone who lives in Florida, you can tell people all day long that we’re open 100%, but businesses and consumers are still going to do what makes sense to them. Husband and I are fully vaccinated and have been eating out. Restaurants are nowhere near full and staff and customers are still masking up. A lot of the bravado put out is just for show. 

I live in Florida also.  The restaurants are full although many of them are short staffed.  Masks have never been required in any of the ones I have been to.  We have been eating out once or twice a week since last May.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

One thing has potentially changed — the volume of viral particles in the room, which have an odd tendency to just float all around the room along with the flow of air.  The idea is to limit the viral load, ie, the more virus particles you breathe in, the greater the risk.  So wearing a mask, while indoors, when you are not actively eating (ie, between courses) helps reduce the amount of viral load, if any is present. Although everyone will be vaccinated, it’s not 100% coverage, and a variant could come into play at any time.  

I think the goal is to regain as much normal activity and socialization possible, while being cognizant of the remaining risks.  Of course, some prefer not to take that approach.

Good grief !!! Transmission by a vaccinated person is rated at .007%. Unless you have a honest N95 mask with all the approvals, wearing a 98 cent variety mask isn't going to do any good. So far, all known variants have been effectively handled by the present vaccines.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I live in Florida also.  The restaurants are full although many of them are short staffed.  Masks have never been required in any of the ones I have been to.  We have been eating out once or twice a week since last May.  

Hey. Good for you. People eating out and not wearing masks as long ago as last May is nothing to brag about.  Florida is not on record for doing the right thing during this pandemic so not impressed. 

5 hours ago, jrapps said:

The masks in-between bites was never actually in the CDC guidelines, just people's interpretation of the line "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

The no non-cruise excursions is great! Seems the CDC is beginning to lighten up, which tells me that talks are going on behind the scenes. I don't think the CDC just decided to change these. There are probably ongoing conversations between the cruise lines and the CDC and these rules are continuously changing. That would be a very good sign.

Edit - sadly, the buffet limit is still there as far as I can see...it still says "Eliminate self-service food and drink options, such as self-service buffets, salad bars, and beverage stations."

That should be fine.  March of last year, just before the shut down we were on the Sunshine and they already had crew members serving you at the buffet and the ice cream dispenser.  I imagine it will be the same. 

1 hour ago, WxNerd said:

It’s ALL airports and airlines, rail and bus stations trains and bus systems....basically all passenger travel of any kind, not just SWA. 

President Biden’s Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel by requiring travelers to wear face masks when they are in airports, bus and rail stations, as well as while on passenger aircraft, public transportation, passenger railroads, and over-the-road buses operating on scheduled fixed-routes. 

Yup. Well aware of the mask rule. Been on airplanes myself since last August. Husband travels every week.  This “between bites” routine is a more recent change by the airlines in direct response to passengers disregarding the rules.  No accounting for bad behavior. But not unexpected I guess. 

23 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Good grief !!! Transmission by a vaccinated person is rated at .007%. Unless you have a honest N95 mask with all the approvals, wearing a 98 cent variety mask isn't going to do any good. So far, all known variants have been effectively handled by the present vaccines.

Exactly— all known variants.  Which has nothing to do with new, unknown variants that can and will come into being.  Most will be irrelevant, but it only takes one to get the ball rolling.  So the guidelines are an effort to meet in the middle between resumption of normal activities and trying to prevent that one unknown from taking hold

53 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I grew up in Spray Beach, LBI, NJ and last summer we didn't wear masks on the beach and no requirement to do so this summer.    

social distancing is recommended everyone which is no problem at all for the beach down the street from our shore home, beach is only crowded on holidays, which I always avoid anyway.

A friend of mine and her brother had a business in LBI from the mid 80’s to early 90’s.They sold art prints.

6 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Exactly— all known variants.  Which has nothing to do with new, unknown variants that can and will come into being.  Most will be irrelevant, but it only takes one to get the ball rolling.  So the guidelines are an effort to meet in the middle between resumption of normal activities and trying to prevent that one unknown from taking hold

A bird might crap on your head and you could contract Avian Flu so you should always walk around with an umbrella.  

Good god, if you are that scared of the unknown just stay home and seek a zoom counseling from your therapist. 

You are afraid of something that doesn't exist.  Can you not see how unhealthy that is!

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

A bird might crap on your head and you could contract Avian Flu so you should always walk around with an umbrella.  

Good god, if you are that scared of the unknown just stay home and seek a zoom counseling from your therapist. 

You are afraid of something that doesn't exist.  Can you not see how unhealthy that is!

Maybe you should take a chill pill.  Don’t recall saying I was scared — I do recall discussing the rationale behind the guidelines being considered.  The risk is low, which is why we are going on a cruise this summer — but low is not the same as non-existent.  Understanding the difference and being informed allows one to make better decisions.  Or you can stick your fingers in your ears and scream “ na, na, na, I can’t hear you”.  I prefer an informed approach.

Given I’ve lost loved ones to this disease, I completely disagree that the risk doesn’t exist.  Maybe you should see a therapist to deal with your complete denial of reality.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vaccinated, the risk from COVID is as minor as the risk from just about any other airborne infection, including the flu. Even the CDC has been slowly producing studies revealing this, even if they've been unwilling to confidently say it directly so far.

The problem is those who are not vaccinated. Well, the problem is those refusing to be vaccinated who could be. There is a category of those who may have an issue getting a COVID vaccination. I say "may" because in some cases those allergic reactions are to vaccines based on different methods, which the COVID vaccines differ from enough that they may not produce the same sort of allergic reaction these people suffer from. Nonetheless, they would probably best be under more stringent observation should they choose to get vaccinated.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 1

Just watched the CDC Director on The News with Shephard Smith. She didn't say anything really new. When pressed about updates to masks, she said "We are looking forward to updating our guidance" and when pressed further, she just said "Stay tuned".