CDC Operations Manual Updates 5/12/21

markeb

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

you can eat it in your cabin, and take the mask down between bites

When I sit down at a table in a restaurant, the mask comes off and stays off until I get up to leave.  That's my "brief period of time".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

When I sit down at a table in a restaurant, the mask comes off and stays off until I get up to leave.  That's my "brief period of time".

Me too.  But in my backyard or on a ship, enjoying a BBQ, I can deal with a little wind.  Do you only stay indoors when you cruise?  Guess we won't be meeting at the Sunset Bar

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For us we just want to go cruising again. So whatever the rules turnout to be when all is said and done, and they seem to be easing up quite a bit as of late, is good with us. 😁

Me too!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jj39 said:

My understanding is that during the relaxed Covid CEL booking procedures you can get your money back even during the penalty phase . Of course that may not included expenses not booked through CEL.

My mistake....it may be 100% FCC for cnx during the penalty phase. Even that would be good enough for me. We're booked at end of Oct so final payment is due in Aug. Hope by then things have settled down. I doubt if we'll go if it's less than 95% vaccinated.

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Me too.  But in my backyard or on a ship, enjoying a BBQ, I can deal with a little wind.  Do you only stay indoors when you cruise?  Guess we won't be meeting at the Sunset Bar

Yes.  I'm too afraid to leave my room.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, and booking Inside because even gamma rays may transmit the disease! 🤣

Hey! I’m working on a grant proposal to find the ideal level of gamma radiation to destroy the virus in cruise shop cabins! Preferably without turning passengers into the Hulk. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Hey! I’m working on a grant proposal to find the ideal level of gamma radiation to destroy the virus in cruise shop cabins! Preferably without turning passengers into the Hulk. 🤣

Covid weight gain is already turning me into the Hulk... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markeb said:

Last week's thread is already fairly long, and there was a suggestion to start a new one. Thought I would quickly.

The Operations Manual was updated today. It unfortunately does not highlight changes, but if you look through quickly, especially for guidance for vaccinated passengers, there are a number of significant changes. Remember this is an industry document, and each cruise line can implement what it chooses, but a number of requirements (masks wear, excursions, etc.) are much less restrictive for vaccinated passengers.

The document is https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Interesting changes concerning vaccinations.

It will be interesting how the cruise lines distinguish between vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers since the the two groups can be treated differently, at the option of the cruise line.

Note that the manual does not require full vaccination, but that vaccinated passengers can be treated differently.

I expected the CDC to loosen the rules for fully vaccinated cruises. By doing it this way they have actually created a bit of a mess for the cruise line. If they do not require vaccinations for everyone the vaccinated passengers are going to want the relaxed rules. That will create a major issue on how the cruise line will keep the two groups identified from an enforcement point of view. Something almost impossible to do.

So that will pretty much force the cruise line to go full vaccine or set up rules as if everyone is not vaccinated.

By making this change the CDC showed what the rules would be on a fully vaccinated cruise, without having to use the language of a fully vaccinated cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The deal breaker for me is the tight masking restrictions on indoor dining.  I can only take my mask off for brief periods of time?  Does not sound like fine dining.

Just look how it’s done on ships already sailing - and in restaurants in many parts of the world. While walking to your table you have to wear a mask. Once seated you can take your mask off for the duration of you dinner... pretty simple.

It‘s already happening and done on ships in Europe since last year and on the Royal ships sailing in Singapore.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

My only remaining issues are the remaining indoor dining restrictions.  Perhaps meals can be served outside?  Outside requires the weather to cooperate.

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Vax'd -- then indoor is not an issue

I have a plan for our group of friends in veranda cabins all in a row for our January cruise,  just in case the masks on 'cept for bites and sips is the rule. 

We'll open the dividers and have a progressive dinner! Cocktails cabin #1, appetizers #2, entree #3, and dessert #4.  Those in the fifth cabin will have to provide the evening show.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Just look how it’s done on ships already sailing - and in restaurants in many parts of the world. While walking to your table you have to wear a mask. Once seated you can take your mask off for the duration of you dinner... pretty simple.

It‘s already happening and done on ships in Europe since last year and on the Royal ships sailing in Singapore.

RCL's video specifically says masks are required while seated at a table but not when eating. MSC rules do differ a bit. RCL also requires masks to be worn around the pool decks in Singapore. In time more changes will come.

Culturally the difference between those guests and Americans are very different and you don't hear the Singapore guests using the 2021 buzzword of the year calling the rules 'onerous'.

The CDC has come under pressure in the past day or two from politicians and medical experts too.  On their inconsistency on masks in particular.  I can dine on land in an indoor restaurant without a mask at a table.  I am vaccinated.  Indoor dining on land does not have any distinction on vaccinated or not vaccinated.  So I am at more risk on land dining indoors than on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  And my risk outdoors is pretty much zero.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Bingo.  The key is, however, that the tables are spaced far enough apart for proper social distancing.

4 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I have no issue with the rules on the foreign based ships.  Those rules are reasonable.  In fact I have 2 booked.

The CDC rules on indoor dining on cruise ships is ridiculous.  Hopefully they will change.

Edited by NMTraveller

26 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Bingo.  The key is, however, that the tables are spaced far enough apart for proper social distancing.

yep, comes with the reduced capacity. Only every second table is used .

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have no issue with the rules on the foreign based ships.  Those rules are reasonable.  In fact I have 2 booked.

The CDC rules on indoor dining on cruise ships is ridiculous.  Hopefully they will change.

look, those lines sail under basically the same rules. It is how the rules are translated into action on the ships. People interpret too much criticism into the wording.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The CDC has come under pressure in the past day or two from politicians and medical experts too.  On their inconsistency on masks in particular.  I can dine on land in an indoor restaurant without a mask at a table.  I am vaccinated.  Indoor dining on land does not have any distinction on vaccinated or not vaccinated.  So I am at more risk on land dining indoors than on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  And my risk outdoors is pretty much zero.

I'm betting that language changes, Rick. But it has to change in the mask order first, which applies to all conveyances, and is going to be a higher level document. This manual isn't where you rescind that order. 

They've clarified a lot of it out of existence on the ship, and the language that's still there was almost certainly written to address a two hour business class food service with follow on drinks on a seven hour flight. The situation in a fixed dining room on the ship is different, and I think there's enough wiggle room for the cruise lines to propose that a normal meal service with social distancing and without masks while at the table meets the intent of the order. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, markeb said:

I love it when Life imitates Art.

Don't laugh,   the Life imitates Art method of advanced problem resolution could be extremely helpful in managing expectations thru the rest of the pandemic.