Dress Code

stamford57

On 5/25/2021 at 8:50 AM, rbtan said:

Try going on Oceania where Jeans are mostly banned at night. We like their Country Club Casual" out look. NO shorts/No jeans/No Tuxes or suits, just decent smart casual with a nice shirt/dressy slacks/nice shoes & perhaps a sport coat.  Most wear the coat in the specialty. That's only where we wear our sport coats.

I have to say Cruise lines loved coming by with terms   "Country Club Casual"    well never been to Country Club... casual or otherwise..... wouldn't know what it was like......

Never owned or worn a Tux and the BH has never worn an evening gown.... so Cunard is out, and the idea no jeans ( denim of any colour ) put Oceania out as well...  This could be why we cruise Princess

One could think Cruise lines have used the statement Clothes maketh the man, to get their desired clientele ....    which is interesting......

So it infers... one must dress up to go to an up market or luxury place.... ( ship or otherwise )..

I am not against this..... but in reality, we have been somewhere very up market ( people fly in, in their own planes from OS )   and there was no dress code... Guests please themselves

It comes back to an old story.. an causal older gentleman goes into A Rolls Royce dealer, the older sales man looks at the way he is dressed and ignores him, the younger salesman welcomes the man.... leaves having order a new Roller.....Moral don't judge somebody by their clothes....

Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 2

I dealt with some large law firms.   At certain functions one could always tell the senior partners from the junior partners and associates.  Same with some of the C level folks in business.  

The senior partners were usually the most casually dressed and the most relaxed.    They had nothing to prove.    It was not about aspirations for them.

There is a reason why some of the high end luxury lines are casual.....it is part of their target market focus and  thrust.

Edited by iancal

23 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am not against this..... but in reality, we have been somewhere very up market ( people fly in, in their own planes from OS )   and there was no dress code... Guests please themselves. It comes back to an old story.. an causal older gentleman goes into A Rolls Royce dealer, the older sales man looks at the way he is dressed and ignores him, the younger salesman welcomes the man.... leaves having order a new Roller.....Moral don't judge somebody by their clothes....

Two great stories but completely irrelevant to the question and the topic.

Princess Cruise Lines has a published Dress Code that everyone sees before they sign up for the cruise. I don't have to like it, but I do feel obliged to follow it since I've signed up for the cruise knowing what is expected.

The OP asked if her husband could wear dress shorts on non-formal nights.

The answer was, "probably not", but not definitively "no", because Princess has seemingly variable informal standards based maybe on cruise location or Maître d.

That is really all this topic is about.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Princess Cruise Lines has a published Dress Code that everyone sees before they sign up for the cruise. I don't have to like it, but I do feel obliged to follow it since I've signed up for the cruise knowing what is expected.

The answer was, "probably not", but not definitively "no", because Princess has seemingly variable informal standards based maybe on cruise location or Maître d.

Princess has too many rules to mention that are broken everyday on every Princess cruise we have been on that are rarely enforced....The “Suggested” Dress Code is one of them.......

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Fair enough.... 

So the question can your wear shorts...... likely not... so no more discussion needed.....

CC has loads of topics on Dress Code... with general discussion..

I was just discussing standard of dress, which follows on from expected dress code

21 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I have seen gentlemen in Bermuda shorts with jacket, tie, and knee socks in the MDR a few times 

Why were the Desert Rats in the MDR?

Edited by brisalta

On 5/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, PrincessLuver said:

I am with you and I am a customer on the ship and the customer is always right......and Princess basically knows that by the way they do things.......

I love how people try to spin EVERYONE has to follow the "Formal Night Dress code which is false.....even Princess does not do that......

Try that reasoning to not dress according to dress code when you are a customer on Cunard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 2:53 AM, caribill said:

Try that reasoning to not dress according to dress code when you are a customer on Cunard.

Each line strives to differentiate itself. Cunard sticks mostly to the traditions of Ocean liner travel. It appeals to quite a lot of people who feel this way.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 1:09 AM, scottca075 said:

The problem would be easily solved if Princess, and other lines  enforced their published dress code, which needs to be clear and concise instead of waffly descriptions ( Smart casual, Dress to Impress) which can be interpreted in different ways, depending on  where you are from.

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

The problem would be easily solved if Princess, and other lines  enforced their published dress code, which needs to be clear and concise instead of waffly descriptions ( Smart casual, Dress to Impress) which can be interpreted in different ways, depending on  where you are from.

Princess is waffley and vague on purpose. They are trying to attract passengers and so they walk a line where no one is put off by dress codes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Or, the problem could easily be solved by doing away with Formal night  dress codes......what's the purpose of formal nights anyway.....there are no grand balls or parties or any special entertainment.....strictly an outdated and old fashioned  nuisance that needs to be done away with......

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Or, the problem could easily be solved by doing away with Formal night  dress codes......what's the purpose of formal nights anyway.....there are no grand balls or parties or any special entertainment.....strictly an outdated and old fashioned  nuisance that needs to be done away with......

The purpo$e of formal night$ on Prince$$ i$ quite apparent. It i$ really photo night.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

" Or, the problem could easily be solved by doing away with Formal night  dress codes......what's the purpose of formal nights anyway.....there are no grand balls or parties or any special entertainment.....strictly an outdated and old fashioned  nuisance that needs to be done away with......"

well it's not gonna happen in your life time, so load the tent on the camel and move on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Because, despite your opinions, formal nights are extremely popular, perhaps more so for European cruises than those in the Caribbean or Alaska. 

It also means that for 4 nights every cruise (14 nights) I don't have to worry about what to wear, other than to decide which colour tuxedo to wear!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

The same old crowd that can't get past the idea of no formal night are the same ones that talk about in the old days they cleaned your windows and checked your oil at a gas station. Times have changed, American society in general is much less formal. If you want to dress up, knock yourself out, but please stop with the "it insults me to that others do not." My legs and or polo shirt have no impact on your cruise and or meal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Princess is waffley and vague on purpose. They are trying to attract passengers and so they walk a line where no one is put off by dress codes.

They publish the formal dress code blurb & then turn their heads to all but the most blatant offenders, trying to satisfy both groups. It is strange that their the last of the more popular cruise lines to hold on to the old way of doing business.

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

This (from the Princess web site) seems clear and concise to me:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They publish the formal dress code blurb & then turn their heads to all but the most blatant offenders, trying to satisfy both groups. It is strange that their the last of the more popular cruise lines to hold on to the old way of doing business.

P&O (UK) still have 2 formal nights per 7 day cruise, and the dress code is followed by virtually everybody. Plus, no shorts in public areas, after 18:00, unless in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Better for Princess to ditch smart casual night and make every night Formal 

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

a crowded mdr and mass produced food doesn't deserve formal attire  sorry

It’s the event that determines the dress code, albeit white or black tie, not the food.  
Agree, some black/white tie event’s food is poor at best, but one still complies with the dress code..

On 5/22/2021 at 4:16 AM, scottca075 said:

But....  but...  but..... "Business Casual" isn't "dressing up"; it is just slacks and a collared shirt. Dressing up would be a suit, a coat & tie or tuxedo.

True, but it's not shorts. We reserve suits & ties/cocktail dresses for formal night.

1 hour ago, Broadside said:

Better for Princess to ditch smart casual night and make every night Formal 

Problem with this idea is that they are not special nights as they all become the same.  

Regards John