Passport Question

This is not that hard. The State Department (linked) above says it must be valid on the day you enter. According to the Embassy of the Bahamas website (https://www.bahamasembdc.org/contact/faq/) your passport must be also valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure. There is a chance they might not notice, or there is a chance you'd get denied entry when you land in the Bahamas. 

Just get a new passport to make things easy. 2 months out is plenty of time to get a new passport. You can expedite if you're worried. 

4 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

This is not that hard. The State Department (linked) above says it must be valid on the day you enter. According to the Embassy of the Bahamas website (https://www.bahamasembdc.org/contact/faq/) your passport must be also valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure. There is a chance they might not notice, or there is a chance you'd get denied entry when you land in the Bahamas. 

Just get a new passport to make things easy. 2 months out is plenty of time to get a new passport. You can expedite if you're worried. 

From the very website you linked 

4b. If I only have four months left on my passport, can I still travel to The Bahamas?
Only British and American passport holders may travel to The Bahamas with less than six months left on their passports. However, British passport holders are advised to have at least six months unexpired on their passports, as they need this requirement for British Immigration purposes. British passport holders that travel to The Bahamas with less than six months validity on their passports would be allowed entry to The Bahamas as long as the duration of their visit to The Bahamas is less than three weeks (21 days).

You must read the entire document. The OP is 100% fine with his current passport. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

From the very website you linked 

4b. If I only have four months left on my passport, can I still travel to The Bahamas?
Only British and American passport holders may travel to The Bahamas with less than six months left on their passports. However, British passport holders are advised to have at least six months unexpired on their passports, as they need this requirement for British Immigration purposes. British passport holders that travel to The Bahamas with less than six months validity on their passports would be allowed entry to The Bahamas as long as the duration of their visit to The Bahamas is less than three weeks (21 days).

You must read the entire document. The OP is 100% fine with his current passport. 

If they're flying American Airlines, they could still deny boarding. It's unlikely, but they can and you'd have no recourse. Just because they didn't catch yours, doesn't mean they won't catch OP's. 

Just apply for a new passport and don't leave things up to chance. 

8 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

If they're flying American Airlines, they could still deny boarding. It's unlikely, but they can and you'd have no recourse. Just because they didn't catch yours, doesn't mean they won't catch OP's. 

Just apply for a new passport and don't leave things up to chance. 

Good lord man, did you not read the guidance from the Bahamas consulate, or are you just unable to admit you are wrong? 

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Where you are getting this information?  The current information on the US State Departments website does not agree with what you are posting.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bahamas.html

This is what came up when I googled.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This passage you have posted is specific to air travel (and even at that is a very broad interpretation). Checking with the Bahamian Consulate, you would easily see they have no 6 month rule. I GUARANTEE I can g to DFW airport right now, with my passport that expires August 3, and board a flight to Cancun (I know this because I did it Mothers day weekend)

It is academic however, because passport requirements for cruising are different than for any other type of travel, this due to the fact that technically you never “enter “ the country but are considered “in transit”. 

The OP was asking about a cruise on Adventure of the Seas leaving Nassau, The Bahamas.

How do you expect the OP to get from the US to The Bahamas?

What does Mexico have to do with the OP’s question?

Just now, d9704011 said:

The OP was asking about a cruise on Adventure of the Seas leaving Nassau, The Bahamas.

How do you expect the OP to get from the US to The Bahamas?

What does Mexico have to do with the OP’s question?

The Bahamas consulate guidance was posted for air travel, posting the American Airlines policy is too vague and generalized and doesn’t tell the entire story.  
One of the ports of call on the itinerary is Mexico, that is why it was mentioned.  

43 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Bahamas consulate guidance was posted for air travel, posting the American Airlines policy is too vague and generalized and doesn’t tell the entire story.  
One of the ports of call on the itinerary is Mexico, that is why it was mentioned.  

OK.  What would you do if you showed up at the airport to take an AA flight with a passport that expires in four months and they denied boarding?  I understand, where you’re coming from but there is a potential for difficulty ahead.  Probably best to check with the air carrier to ensure no last minute snags.  This whole six month thing, especially something imposed by an air carrier but not required by the destination country, is going a bit overboard.

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  What would you do if you showed up at the airport to take an AA flight with a passport that expires in four months and they denied boarding?  I understand, where you’re coming from but there is a potential for difficulty ahead.  Probably best to check with the air carrier to ensure no last minute snags.  This whole six month thing, especially something imposed by an air carrier but not required by the destination country, is going a bit overboard.

The way i read it, it isn't imposed by the cattier, the carrier clearly states to consult the guidelines of your destination country. Multi Million dollar international airlines have the programming to know exactly what can and can not travel

• Like 1

My son's passport expired in Jan 2022.  Since we had cruises booked monthly from July 2021 through May 2022, we decided as soon as our May 2021 cruise got cancelled, to renew his passport.  We sent it in at the end of March, and received the new one in early May and the old one was returned about a week later.  We did not need to expedite.  Now if only  we can use it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bethco said:

Closed loop cruise applies when it begins and ends at same port the the US.  This person is asking about a cruise beginning and ending in Nassau.

The other poster was asking for herself, not the OPs question. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is academic however, because passport requirements for cruising are different than for any other type of travel, this due to the fact that technically you never “enter “ the country but are considered “in transit”. 

While you are considered to be in transit you have certainly entered the country and you must still meet all entry requirements. 

The Bahamas doesn't require 6 month validity for passports for US citizens, but carriers may impose rules that are stricter than those required by the law, so it is best for the OP to check the requirements for their airline. (Note that many customer service people don't receive special training in this area and will stick to the script of the FAQ.)

And while it isn't typically pertinent for cruising if a country does have a 6 month requirement it is for you to have 6 months on your passport on the day you are scheduled to leave the country, not the day that you arrive. So if you were visiting a country for 3 months you would need 9 months on your passport on the day that you arrive.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You can renew your passport now and pay an extra $60 expedite fee and have passport back in 4 weeks.  And I think there is a more expensive option that gets it back in a matter of days.

My 18 year olds applied for passports and cards in the beginning of March, one paid to have it expedited. Both arrived on the same day 8 weeks later, and the passport card of the non-expedited came tbe day before the expedited.

• Haha 1

If were as simple as getting a new passport, that is what I would do. However, the processing times is 4-6 weeks WITH expedited services and have to send in my current passport. This cruise is 4 weeks from Saturday and we're going there on Bahama's Airlines from FLL. I think I'm going to be fine from what I have read on various sites since my visit will be short. I'd rather chance that than sending in my current passport and risking not have anything at all, then I'm for sure screwed. Thanks for all your help!!

10 hours ago, sailor05 said:

I think I'm going to be fine from what I have read on various sites since my visit will be short.

There's a higher chance that your sailing will be cancelled than you having any passport issue.

17 hours ago, sailor05 said:

If were as simple as getting a new passport, that is what I would do. However, the processing times is 4-6 weeks WITH expedited services and have to send in my current passport. This cruise is 4 weeks from Saturday and we're going there on Bahama's Airlines from FLL. I think I'm going to be fine from what I have read on various sites since my visit will be short. I'd rather chance that than sending in my current passport and risking not have anything at all, then I'm for sure screwed. Thanks for all your help!!

If you can find a passport office that is open you can renew a passport in one day.

All your paperwork must be correct and your pictures must be taken properly and you must have the correct fee and payment method.

Come prepared to stand in line a LONG time!

Good luck.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s not a US customs issue nor is it a Royal Caribbean issue.  Certain countries require a passport to be valid for 6 months or they will not allow you entry.  Non3 if the countries on the OP’s itinerary require this.  Pretty straightforward question that can easily be answered on this forum. 

Two pages of conflicting suggestions... I standby my original post

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I will never be able to figure out why people wait for the last minute to renew a passport. I renew it 6 months early even if I'm not going to need it. 

What they do doesn't affect you, what you do doesn't affect them. Personally I will let my travel needs dictate when I renew my passport. If I am planning travel that requires a certain amount of validity left then I'll renew it in order to have said validity, if I have no travel planned for when my passport expires then I will let it expire and renew it before I need it again, which very well could be a year or two.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I will never be able to figure out why people wait for the last minute to renew a passport. I renew it 6 months early even if I'm not going to need it. 

Some may think they are saving money by using up those last six months to the end, LOL, but probably the reason for most is that they don't cruise or travel as often as we do and don't keep track of the expiration dates. As a very active traveler Pre Covid I would be very aware of my expiration date a year out. And having traveled often to Europe I was aware the some countries require 6 months.

Edited by Charles4515