Passport Question

I just booked the June 26th-July 3rd on the Adventure. I just realized my passport expires July 31st so I think I'm okay but it seems like they used to require that it not expire within 6 months of travel. Anyone know for sure??

Edited by sailor05

46 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

I just realized my passport expires July 31st so I think I'm okay but it seems like they used to require that it not expire within 6 months of travel. Anyone know for sure??

That was a recommendation from RCI, but is not required.

Biker, who wonders what tangent this thread will go off on.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't go by this message board... instead... call Royal...you might try the Crown and Anchor number instead of reservations... also look into faster processing for the passport...but fast may not be fast enough for your purposes.. Keep in mind when you update your passport..you have to send it in to them....  I am not sure who has the issue...with regard to the 6 month... it may be more a customs issue than a cruise line issue

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kearney said:

I am not sure who has the issue...with regard to the 6 month... it may be more a customs issue than a cruise line issue

It’s not a US customs issue nor is it a Royal Caribbean issue.  Certain countries require a passport to be valid for 6 months or they will not allow you entry.  Non3 if the countries on the OP’s itinerary require this.  Pretty straightforward question that can easily be answered on this forum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Situations are so fluid and rigid these days. I would check the US State Dept website, Bahamas government site and the airline's website. 

I have personally witnessed travelers being turned away at the airport and cruise terminal due to passport non-compliance. Don't recall Bahamas specifically, but Jamaica and international travels.  Not a good situation to be in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s not a US customs issue nor is it a Royal Caribbean issue.  Certain countries require a passport to be valid for 6 months or they will not allow you entry.  Non3 if the countries on the OP’s itinerary require this.  Pretty straightforward question that can easily be answered on this forum. 

Adventure doesn't leave out of US

Anyone have any thoughts on whether we will need our passports for Alaska this year?  With no stop in Canada, unless you took an excursion into the Yukon, there should be no need for a passport, correct?

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Anyone have any thoughts on whether we will need our passports for Alaska this year?  With no stop in Canada, unless you took an excursion into the Yukon, there should be no need for a passport, correct?

You didn't need it even with stops in Canada, other than as you mentioned Canadian excursions from a US port.

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

So, if we don’t renew our passports we are okay with license and birth certificate for a closed loop cruise??

Yes....on a closed loop.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If you happen to take the train in Skagway you'll need to show your passport on the return down.

Otherwise you should be fine...however we would take ours...we don't travel without it.

Enjoy that cruise !!!

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

So, if we don’t renew our passports we are okay with license and birth certificate for a closed loop cruise??

A closed loop cruise refers to a cruise starting and ending at the same US port. Not applicable here. 

1) The OP needs a passport to get to the Bahamas. 

2) The Bahamas only requires that the passport be valid on the day of entry. 

3) Mexico only requires that the passport be valid on the day of entry. 

4) The OP’s airline may have rules more restrictive than the countries being visited and deny boarding. This is very common - airlines don’t have separate rules for every flight, they have a blanket rule that covers most situations. Also, if your flight cancelled and you are put on another airlines, you will be under the new airline’s rules and may be denied boarding. 

5) Royal Caribbean recommends that passports be valid for 6 months from the end of the cruise. They may enforce more restrictions that counties being visited. 

6) In the event that a cruise terminates in an unscheduled county because of an incident onboard or weather (hurricane), your passport must be valid for the country of disembarkation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sailor05 said:

I just booked the June 26th-July 3rd on the Adventure. I just realized my passport expires July 31st so I think I'm okay but it seems like they used to require that it not expire within 6 months of travel. Anyone know for sure??

You are fine, no problem 

14 hours ago, sailor05 said:

You may not be fine. And you may have a big problem. 

You need to check with your airline and determine what their rules are. I fly a lot and and my airlines has a 6 month rule. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Can I travel to the Bahamas if my passport expires in 3 months?
No; passports must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas. In addition, airlines would not let passengers board with expired traveldocuments.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yes....on a closed loop.

Closed loop cruise applies when it begins and ends at same port the the US.  This person is asking about a cruise beginning and ending in Nassau.

4 minutes ago, bethco said:

Closed loop cruise applies when it begins and ends at same port the the US.  This person is asking about a cruise beginning and ending in Nassau.

FYI...I was replying to a general question asked by another poster (post #10)...not the OP !!!

14 hours ago, sailor05 said:

You can renew your passport now and pay an extra $60 expedite fee and have passport back in 4 weeks.  And I think there is a more expensive option that gets it back in a matter of days.

14 minutes ago, bethco said:
Can I travel to the Bahamas if my passport expires in 3 months?
No; passports must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas. In addition, airlines would not let passengers board with expired traveldocuments.

Where you are getting this information?  The current information on the US State Departments website does not agree with what you are posting.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bahamas.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Bad advice. As another poster said,  you definitely may have a big problem.

No you won’t. This is EXTREMELY black and white. Stop making an issue where one does not exist. 
Bahamas only requires American passport be valid for length of stay, PERIOD. 
Mexico does not require a passport at all for cruise ship passengers. 

Upon return to US, only requirement is that the passport is valid that day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No you won’t. This is EXTREMELY black and white. Stop making an issue where one does not exist. 
Bahamas only requires American passport be valid for length of stay, PERIOD. 
Mexico does not require a passport at all for cruise ship passengers. 

Upon return to US, only requirement is that the passport is valid that day. 

It’s not that EXTREMELY B&W to me.  How do you explain this excerpt from the AA site?  I understand other air carriers may have different rules.

Travel requirements and documents

Make sure to check entry requirements with the consulate of the countries you plan to visit before you travel. You’re responsible for bringing the correct documents for international travel. If you don’t have the required documentation and identification, you will not be allowed to board the plane and would be responsible for any resulting costs.

Passport

A passport is required for all international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter the country. Passport cards will not be accepted as form of I.D. for international air travel.

Passports must be:

• Valid for at least 6 months after the date you enter a foreign country.
  • Kept in good condition, free of any damage beyond normal wear and tear, and material alterations. You may be denied boarding if you travel with a passport that appears damaged or altered.

U.S. citizens can use any government-issued form of identification to travel between the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Edited by d9704011

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

It’s not that EXTREMELY B&W to me.  How do you explain this excerpt from the AA site?  I understand other air carriers may have different rules.

Travel requirements and documents

Make sure to check entry requirements with the consulate of the countries you plan to visit before you travel. You’re responsible for bringing the correct documents for international travel. If you don’t have the required documentation and identification, you will not be allowed to board the plane and would be responsible for any resulting costs.

Passport

A passport is required for all international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter the country. Passport cards will not be accepted as form of I.D. for international air travel.

Passports must be:

• Valid for at least 6 months after the date you enter a foreign country.
  • Kept in good condition, free of any damage beyond normal wear and tear, and material alterations. You may be denied boarding if you travel with a passport that appears damaged or altered.

U.S. citizens can use any government-issued form of identification to travel between the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

This passage you have posted is specific to air travel (and even at that is a very broad interpretation). Checking with the Bahamian Consulate, you would easily see they have no 6 month rule. I GUARANTEE I can g to DFW airport right now, with my passport that expires August 3, and board a flight to Cancun (I know this because I did it Mothers day weekend)

It is academic however, because passport requirements for cruising are different than for any other type of travel, this due to the fact that technically you never “enter “ the country but are considered “in transit”. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1