New rules about bringing soda, juice and water on board.

CineGraphic

3 hours ago, culvercitycruiser said:

We stayed in a hotel in Palm Springs last week that had water in paper’ish cartons similar to milk

So once opened, there is no cap to close it again?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, culvercitycruiser said:

We stayed in a hotel in Palm Springs last week that had water in paper’ish cartons similar to milk

if this is what is offered on ship I will be pouring mine into my own container with a lid. 

• Like 1

The new rules are a combination, attempt to reduce plastic waste impact, required by court order, and at the same time an attempt to increase on board revenue and to make plus fares more attractive. I think it's that simple. Those that are addicted to the disposable plastic water bottles probably will have to adjust their habits for the week or so on board. Those that want their own flavors or brands of soda can still carry on 12 cans/pp.  For b2b's another 12 cans each boarding day.  

5 hours ago, caribill said:

So once opened, there is no cap to close it again?

I have seen cardboard water containers that have a plastic screw cap, but I'm not sure if it s the norm or not. This was backstage at a Justin Timberlake concert I worked for, and was told that Justin was an investor in the brand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

The new rules are a combination, attempt to reduce plastic waste impact, required by court order, and at the same time an attempt to increase on board revenue and to make plus fares more attractive. I think it's that simple. Those that are addicted to the disposable plastic water bottles probably will have to adjust their habits for the week or so on board. Those that want their own flavors or brands of soda can still carry on 12 cans/pp.  For b2b's another 12 cans each boarding day.  

I thought the court order was to dispose of waste properly, not to limit how much waste there was.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, caribill said:

I thought the court order was to dispose of waste properly, not to limit how much waste there was.

Disposing of waste properly costs money so less waste, lower disposal cost I would presume.

• Like 1

I notice that It specifically mentions 'discard PLASTIC containers'.

I wonder if they missed mentioning glass bottles when they say that cans and cardboard are allowed?

It looks like this specifically excludes plastic, in an effort to minimize plastic waste at sea?

Thing is, I like my soda in bottles, you can't close up a half an open can!

And, I feel like I am tasting the can!

You can buy some drinks in Glass.

Snapple seems to be moving to all plastic????

I can get Coke in small glass bottles, but that doesn't travel as well to carry on.

9 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does this mean the water you order for your cabin will now be In cardboard.

Yuck!

Water is not being offered for cabin pre purchase for my next cruise. 

Ohhhh!   I haven't been following things here for a while.

I must be behind!

ETA:    Just checked...  Mine shows 'Bottled' water at 7.09.

Shows plastic bottled water, right now.

It says Available thru Personalizer or Gift Guide only.

It is showing up here on computer...  Maybe not on phone apps???

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

Water can be bought in cans so this eliminates the plastic bottles.  Since we always sail in suites, one perk is daily water bottles, wonder what will happen about that. The mini bar also has 2 water bottles. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but surely anything that reduces the use of plastic bottles has to be a good thing?

All this whinging about not being able to drink from a plastic bottle that will still be in existence long after we are dead, shows a lack of responsibility and understanding.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sorry, but surely anything that reduces the use of plastic bottles has to be a good thing?

All this whinging about not being able to drink from a plastic bottle that will still be in existence long after we are dead, shows a lack of responsibility and understanding.

True, yet we sail on ships that burn through tons of heavy oil every single day.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

True, yet we sail on ships that burn through tons of heavy oil every single day.

Exactly - it is a dichotomy.  

So, knowing that I am being hypocritical,  I will at least try to make a token effort to reduce my impact on the environment. 

I just feel that some posters on here have no understanding at all, and happily carry on using plastic bottles, straws etc, with no regard to the consequences.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

I believe that if you have "Princess Plus" which includes the drinks package, it isn't showing the water for Purchase @dog

That makes sense. 

they are offering to let me pre purchase another premium beverage package or a classic soda package. 

wine too

plus I will be getting my first mini bar set up as elite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grover_ said:

I just looked after I saw this post and it is available on my booking. $7.08 for 12.  

My cruise is March 28/22 out of Southampton UK on Sky.  

15 hours ago, jwattle said:

I believe that if you have "Princess Plus" which includes the drinks package, it isn't showing the water for Purchase @dog

I don't book Princess Plus and the water package isn't showing on any of my six booked cruises.  

On 5/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, CineGraphic said:

Thanks to @Ombud for noticing this tidbit in the new terms.

1311889418_Screenshot_20210524-182600_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.4744903b18e5455a236669bae7f56528.thumb.jpg.e064e4f55d9bdbd3ecfe75290604a5e1.jpg

Sounds like it was clipped from the Carnival web page. I think theirs is nearly the same; at least the last time I sailed on Carnival (2018).

Doug

On 5/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, jennybenny said:

That could be the motivation.

We have always purchased the drink package and when on a long cruise/home port bring our own wine. We even have a 12 pack carrier for carry on. 
Princess used to barely mark up their wine in the 90s, making it affordable to just pay their prices but these days if I want good wine I’ll pay the corkage fee and bring my favorites.

I only wish I could do the same for scotch! For our early years I'd smuggle a little of my favorite scotch, but it got to be a hassle, and I felt a little guilty. (Please, no lectures, I am a good boy now. 😉). My wife and I drink very little, perhaps one, occasionally two alcoholic beverages per day. We never get the drink packages for obvious reasons. We very rarely go to the bar for our drinks, as we prefer to drink on our balcony pre-dinner, at our leisure, and have our quiet time. So that means ordering a bottle for consumption in the cabin. No issues there, except that selection of scotch is abyssal!  Princess' Johnny Walker Red is about the worst scotch produced IMHO. At least with Carnival I can get Dewers 12 year, which is acceptable. I have no problem with the price they charge; what I'd prefer to see is a policy similar to that for bringing aboard my wine. I'd have no problem with that, but no cruise line does that unfortunately.....at least the major lines on which we've sailed.

Okay, complaint mode turned off.......😎

Doug

• Like 3

21 hours ago, caribill said:

Well probably. But, believe it is very difficult for staff to sort and comply. Much easier to reduce plastic usage. 

On 5/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

...  I prefer to bring the plastic bottles so I can drink small amounts at a time.  Bummer.

Yes, I'm the same. I have no problems with cans otherwise. I am considering bringing some sort of resealable bottle for any left over carbonated beverage. Pouring from a can into it may make it go flat; I will have to test that at home prior to a cruise to see if it works.

I do something similar with liquor we have ordered for pre-cruise cabin delivery. I bring an empty RumRunner flask onboard to use should there be any liquor (in a glass bottle) left over for the trip home. Don't have to worry about the weight and breaking a RumRummer flask.

Doug

39 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

unfortunately.....at least the major lines on which we've sailed.

You need to switch to P&O.  One litre of alcohol (wine, whisky,beer) per person!

That should see you through your cruise!

Right now this is what's posted on the Princess.com web page regarding alcohol

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free on board in the Shops of Princess, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.  A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while the Shops of Princess staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

Edited by cruzsnooze