Will we need to carry phones everywhere ?

Lynnlamb61

HI, 

One of my favorite parts of cruising is locking my cell phone in the safe and only using to check email once or twice a trip. With a change in COVID,  I have heard “rumors” of many things depending on cell usage, i.e room access, electronic menus. Does anyone know what we can expect?  I’m booked on the EDGE in Sept. Thanks, Lynn

Not everyone, namely me, has a smart phone. My sight is not good enough for one thing. There are many older folks, again, like me, who don't have this type of devise. I am sure there will be alternatives. 

• Like 1

Sailed twice on EDGE.  Cell phones stayed off and locked in the safe..only used my tablet for downloaded books.

Our devices are too.old for the app anyhow, even if we wanted it.

We had regular key cards and had no trouble previewing menus, and activities and easily made our reservations.  All the fancy gizmos in the cabin have their own controls.

Only thing was we downloaded sonething on the phone for check in..but even if we didn't we would have been okay  

No worries!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

We just returned from a AI in Mexico.  Check-in,  check-out, all menu’s, daily activity schedule, ordering room service was via app.  There were a few paper menus at each restaurant and the activity schedule was posted in a few locations.  But the focus was on minimizing the use of paper, pens and contact.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We just returned from a AI in Mexico.  Check-in,  check-out, all menu’s, daily activity schedule, ordering room service was via app.  There were a few paper menus at each restaurant and the activity schedule was posted in a few locations.  But the focus was on minimizing the use of paper, pens and contact.  

As it has been on the Edge from the beginning, if you want paper copies you needed to go to Customer Service to get them.  Now that a year+ has passed  since the Covid shut down cruising,  my guess is Edge will continue to be paper free unless you want to stand in line and if I recall that was discouraged.  Also phones were able to open cabins and control much of the in room technology.

Edited by Oville

In the midst of the pandemic I did the two " Blue Voyages" out of Germany ( MS2 and MS1) Ships they size of Edge or Solstice Class. On both voyages I had my mobil with me all the time. It came in very handy- and one get´s used to it. This was the first time my mobil was not looked in my cabin safe.

There where always paper printed menues and such to get, but much easier withe the mobil and the app.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

In the midst of the pandemic I did the two " Blue Voyages" out of Germany ( MS2 and MS1) Ships they size of Edge or Solstice Class. On both voyages I had my mobil with me all the time. It came in very handy- and one get´s used to it. This was the first time my mobil was not looked in my cabin safe.

There where always paper printed menues and such to get, but much easier withe the mobil and the app.

I do agree that using the mobile and an app are so convenient.

@Germancruiser, your post reminded me of your Live reviews last year early on in the pandemic and they were such a breath of fresh air!  Thank you for those.

I can't wait until the live reviews start pouring in as cruising resumes in the near future!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

I do agree that using the mobile and an app are so convenient.

@Germancruiser, your post reminded me of your Live reviews last year early on in the pandemic and they were such a breath of fresh air!  Thank you for those.

I can't wait until the live reviews start pouring in as cruising resumes in the near future!

Thanks so much Shadow 9612- it was pleasure doing so- and they have been my first " Live from" reports. Maybe I will do another one when I board the brand new Apex in two weeks for the Maiden Voyage.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We like to minimize use of phones on ships as well.  Guys have plenty of pockets to stash a phone.  This is not usually the case for ladies. And not having to lug a purse everywhere is another cruise bonus.  If I am tethered to my phone on a cruise that means a purse so I have somewhere to put it.  I prefer neither.  But, the younger generations are lost without their phones.  They are the real target audience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks so much Shadow 9612- it was pleasure doing so- and they have been my first " Live from" reports. Maybe I will do another one when I board the brand new Apex in two weeks for the Maiden Voyage.

Oh that would be fantastic if you decide to do a "live from Apex".  Wow, only 2 weeks away,... that's exciting!

Have a fabulous cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

We like to minimize use of phones on ships as well.  Guys have plenty of pockets to stash a phone.  This is not usually the case for ladies. And not having to lug a purse everywhere is another cruise bonus.  If I am tethered to my phone on a cruise that means a purse so I have somewhere to put it.  I prefer neither.  But, the younger generations are lost without their phones.  They are the real target audience.

I agree with you here. I use a smart phone when necessary, but think it will be awful having to tote one about the ship, and work out how to look after it if going for a swim. They have their uses, but not needed as a constant companion.

Trivia will be interesting! 😉 Maybe they should be handed in before joining the trivia to stop the temptation of sneaking a peek  😜  😕   Joking!!

Edited by laslomas
  • Like 1

I think even ‘my’’ generation by in large use the phones and iPads a great deal and rely on them. And I notice most women carry those small almost expanded wallets and so do men. I’ve got a few from the ship. So I don’t see the big issue. 

You can also ask your steward to provide a paper daily to your room instead of standing in a line. I don’t ever remember having to go to the front desk to get one and I did an Edge B2B and then a Silhouette TA just prior to the Pandemic shutdown. 

I believe they have added the ability to text another passenger so you can easily contact others if you are in a group. 

den

Pre-pandemic, I'd notice over 90% of passengers on the pool deck had their phones nearby, much much higher than the smaller % of posters here on CC.

For years, cruise lines have been slowly adapting to the new tech - menus, photos, daily activities, excursions and other reservations - have been added to digital and cabin TV access.  The pandemic is only accelerating this process.

While I used the app on the Edge I never found it necessary to carry my phone everywhere and certainly not in a purse.  Pockets work for sea pass and phone

I never took my phone to the gym, the running track, pool or to daytime matinees, movies or activities.  I would check the daily once and make a mental note of the time & location of  anything I wanted to attend.  
In the evening I always have a small wristlet for comb, lipstick, sea pass and phone.

I anticipate having my phone with me a good bit as I use the camera for photos to easily post or text to friends and family.  Since this fall’s TA on Apex will be our first on an E class, I know I will want ship photos.  I have no idea at this point how much I will use the app, but imagine it will be used some.

As for accessing menus by scanning a QR code, that is fairly common here now.  Saturday, we had 10 at a group dinner at a local craft brewery (love that we can now do that);  menu only available by scanning the code.

Like jelayne, I have a tiny shoulder bag I carry at night for those essentials.

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

From what I have read I believe the smart phone app can be used to enter the stateroom instead of the key card. Is the key card still used for purchases, or can that be via the App as well? 

We used our card for entry and purchases. Not sure abt using the app in stores,

Whatever is not on paper is usually on the tv or other places around the ship.

Either way works...try both!

This is what we currently see when trying to check into our July 24th cruise on the Edge. If you can't download a mobile app to your phone, I'm sure there will be options made available for you. But I'm guessing we won't know those details until we're actually allowed to check in.

We’re not quite ready for you. Check back closer to your cruise to select an arrival time and complete check-in.

You are required to download the mobile app prior to sailing

• Access your digital boarding pass
  • Answer the health questions on the app the day before your sailing
  • Board safely, quickly, and with confidence
App StoreGoogle Play
Mobile Boarding Pass image

32 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is what we currently see when trying to check into our July 24th cruise on the Edge. If you can't download a mobile app to your phone, I'm sure there will be options made available for you. But I'm guessing we won't know those details until we're actually allowed to check in.

We’re not quite ready for you. Check back closer to your cruise to select an arrival time and complete check-in.

You are required to download the mobile app prior to sailing

• Access your digital boarding pass
  • Answer the health questions on the app the day before your sailing
  • Board safely, quickly, and with confidence
App StoreGoogle Play
Mobile Boarding Pass image

We had to download Princess APP too when we last sailed in fall 2019,but once on board didn't need to use the phone, our medallions opened the doors to the room.....from as far away as 75 feet....

• Like 1

We were required to download the cruise line app when we checked in.   Greece will send us a QR code to display on our phone once we fill out the health questionnaire.   We can’t travel without each of us having a cell phone capable of displaying the QR code.    You can get a very reasonable phone in Target or Walmart.    I use my reading glasses when I use my phone as it has become a necessity while traveling.