Beyond fed up with website and Medallion app

Nerkbuck

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

In the past you booked your cruise, printed or had your TA print a boarding pass, showed up and enjoyed yourself. Now you have to study tech information and have tech expertise, get frustrated with bugs in the system, plan far in advance just to have dinner. I'll do it, but to us it isn't easier and isn't more enjoyable.

Exactly - seems like it is "mandatory" now to download and use the app prior to boarding - whereas before it was a "choice"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Exactly - seems like it is "mandatory" now to download and use the app prior to boarding - whereas before it was a "choice"

Suppose those not reading cruise critic are not concerned or stressed out about app or website, at all. 

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm not having any issues with either. In fact I just noticed something new on the medallion app. This was not on my last cruise!! 

20210604_060347.thumb.jpg.842632f8b86a2980f8bf0f915aab7f42.jpg

I wonder if they'll let me upload my CDC card when we're within 14 days. That button hasn't gone live yet (yes, I tried it)

3 hours ago, dog said:

I heard a Carnival Cruise spokesperson on GMA this am say that they are working on a way for passengers to upload their vaccination info pre cruise. 

At yesterday’s webinar they stated that Vaccination Attestation for proof of being fully vaccinated will be uploaded to the MC app & if not completed in advance boarding would be denied. The type of proof hasn’t been finalized yet but presuming it will be the CDC shot card that’s uploaded to the MC app. It’s likely that we’ll need to show the proof of being fully vaccinated during the boarding process.

They’re also creating an easy to use tutorial which includes slides of the MC app’s procedures which should be helpful.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dog said:

Suppose those not reading cruise critic are not concerned or stressed out about app or website, at all. 

So I finally watched the whole webinar (thank you @TinaLeehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUY1Dbs6aA). 3 ways to book & how cruisers will be notified:

1. TA who will be asked to get an email address so that PCL can notify them of new requirement 

2. PVP or Princess 1800 Rep who will get an email address so that PCL can notify them of new requirement 

3. Independently online & cannot check in without proceeding 

So everyone will know about accepting contract, using app or TV online, I'm sure I missed something. There's a lot of discussion in the 1st 50 minutes but when I view again ill just skip to 53 (or is it 54) minutes in 

I can certainly understand the OP's frustration.  I'm computer-literate and love my smart phone.  I can't access my account on the Princess website.  The Princess reps with whom I have spoken tell me that there is nothing that they can do until "IT fixes everything" and, by the way, don't try to set up the Medallion app until the problem with your online account is fixed. When will there be a solution - time estimate unknown per the representatives.  Luckily, our next cruise on Princess is not until December [our October cruise was just cancelled] so it's not an emergency for me.  But, for those who have upcoming cruises, it is important because certain things can now only be done thru the app.

While I have no problem using apps, some people do.  I watched yesterday's webinar.  When asked about older folks who are not smart phone-knowledgeable, the Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing suggested that these customers "go ask a grandchild".  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

To the OP,  I agree this has been frustrating trying to understand how to navigate Medallion app and not be able to access what I thought I could.  I am not a tech whiz and easily get impatient.  Was trying to get into the Dine Options numerous times and finally found out our cruise has to be paid in full before we can do this, which I wasn't aware of.  However, I am still attempting to look on the bright side of this and glad we will be back to cruising in the next few months.  

As awinte2 commented above, "technology can sometimes get in the way of the fun of planning..."

The problem is that often, technology ends up being a solution looking for a problem.

DON

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

... While I have no problem using apps, some people do.  I watched yesterday's webinar.  When asked about older folks who are not smart phone-knowledgeable, the Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing suggested that these customers "go ask a grandchild".  

Likely one of the most ignorant and arrogant comments voiced by a Princess staffer, highly placed or not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dog said:

I heard a Carnival Cruise spokesperson on GMA this am say that they are working on a way for passengers to upload their vaccination info pre cruise. 

Seems like a very sensible thing to implement.

But, don't tell Ron DeSantis, or no one in Florida will be able to participate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Seems like a very sensible thing to implement.

But, don't tell Ron DeSantis, or no one in Florida will be able to participate.

The unvaccinated will be the 5% the CDC allows. 😀

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

so, the app i used a couple of years ago to upload passports, photos, order medallions has not been updated, so I need to delete that and download a completely new app ??

Yes

13 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I can certainly understand the OP's frustration.  I'm computer-literate and love my smart phone.

While I have no problem using apps, some people do. 

For me this both a non-issue and a big issue.

Non-issue: I do not have a smart phone or compatible netbook. Thus I am not frustrated at all by all the problems with the app.

Big issue: Without a smart phone I cannot cruise with Princess because using the app is the only way to acknowledge their Covid-risk form which must be submitted. Also cannot learn about assigned boarding time. Also cannot select dining option. Also cannot do who knows what else that is required before embarkation.

• Like 2

I have a smart phone and I also have apps on it that I use all the time

I don't like being forced to get an app by Princess!

It sounds like now you MUST download the app in order to check in and sail

To me this is coercion by a company . This was not in place when I booked my cruise. I love Princess but hate the feeling I have now about this whole experience!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

For me this both a non-issue and a big issue.

Non-issue: I do not have a smart phone or compatible netbook. Thus I am not frustrated at all by all the problems with the app.

Big issue: Without a smart phone I cannot cruise with Princess because using the app is the only way to acknowledge their Covid-risk form which must be submitted. Also cannot learn about assigned boarding time. Also cannot select dining option. Also cannot do who knows what else that is required before embarkation.

Caribill...Is it true that without  a smart phone or similar device and precruise use of the app I will not be able to cruise with Princess?

2 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Caribill...Is it true that without  a smart phone or similar device and precruise use of the app I will not be able to cruise with Princess?

I'm not caribill ... but I ghink Princess is suggesting that you use a friend's smart device to download the app and satisfy Princess' demands there.

5 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

According to the webinar...that is true. The app is the only way to complete/submit mandatory pre-bruise documents. They didn't seem to think this would be an issue for people - even suggesting that if you don't have a phone/tablet to find someone that does to help you with it. I thought that piece was a little off base with their demographic, to be honest...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

According to the webinar...that is true. The app is the only way to complete/submit mandatory pre-bruise documents.

Cute typo.

When princess switched to print-yourself luggage tags, there was a way for one's travel agent to print the

tags for printer-less customers.

Possibly the same for this requirement.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Cute typo.

When princess switched to print-yourself luggage tags, there was a way for one's travel agent to print the

Except in the same breath, Chernesky has told agents that they want to lift the burden of TA's arranging filling out of forms, etc, so they can spend more time selling cruises.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

According to the webinar...that is true. The app is the only way to complete/submit mandatory pre-bruise documents. They didn't seem to think this would be an issue for people - even suggesting that if you don't have a phone/tablet to find someone that does to help you with it. I thought that piece was a little off base with their demographic, to be honest...

Maybe they will fire up the old fax machines at HQ and people can send in the doc that way.  Or a signed and scanned PDF by email.  Who knows where this might land when the calls start coming in.  Some folks won't even be aware.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Cute typo.

The webinar stated that the client must make the certification theirself, nobody else can do that. It is basically a legal document and a TA cannot do it for you.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

They also said that the only way top get notification of your check-in time was through the app. So if you do find someone to help you on their smart phone, that someone must keep the app current with all updates and periodically check it for you to see if you have a check-in time assigned.

Meanwhile, you have now put some personal information on that someone's smart phone and must hope it does not get hacked.

3 minutes ago, beaglesandducks said:

Happy2cruise    I added my husband to my app and was able to add info, documents, etc about him   He has a smart phone but he would rather be added to my medallionapp  so far so good

How do I add my husband to my app? Thanks!

I can't get past an error when it tries to upload my passport. It scans fine but can't continue past that step. Given this I have no confidence in this app to be at all functional for something that is now deemed mandatory. Add to that I'm travelling with someone who doesn't have a smart phone (and we live across the country from one another). Although if I can get the app to work I should be able to upload her documents/info once we meet up but I have no confidence that the app will allow it and at that point we are already in transit. It also doesn't sound like customer service is very helpful. Very stressful.

• Like 2