The Daily for Sunday Jun 27, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Onion Day, Sun Glasses Day, and National Bingo Day

The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground. - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Meal suggestion for today - Crab Cake Sandwiches with Oyster Cracker Breading

Drink of the Day - Earl Grey Caviar Martini

Wine of the day - Domaine Houchart Sainte Victoire - France - Rose

Destination of the Day - Plymouth England United Kingdom

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam drifting off Los Angeles
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/27

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam

Piraeus GR
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0626USA.thumb.png.51fbef4929a6ebdd14d10006c1521b75.png

0626Europe.thumb.png.87f0cea57162b407102f85f0d3b8e108.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Onions and Bingo but love sunglasses (well, now adaptive lenses).  I like the Chesterton quote.  Sadly, I've never been to Plymouth.  Despite living in Maryland (or perhaps because I'm not a native) I'll pass on the crab cakes.  My alternative is Lemonade and Chocolate Chip Cookies, typically served at the end of On Deck for a Cause.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
An Aussi-Kiwi travel pause
Sam awaiting cat scan results
Surfside, Florida
700 new indigenous graves found at former school

From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Lasyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

StLouisCruiser DGS

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

sailingdutchy’s DGD graduating from high school

Vmax1700 back from road trip

A live US Sailaway with passengers

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love fried onions, I love my sunglasses, but I rarely play Bingo.

Interesting quote.

The meal suggestion sounds interesting, but I have a beef roast to put in the slow cooker for us.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

We have been to England but not to Plymouth.  We were supposed to be there on a cruise this summer, but that will not happen.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning to all from a warm and sunny Cork - (no, not the one in the bottle, the one in Ireland 😁)

Currently showing 17°C (63F) and a nice breeze.  It is expected to hit 20°C (68F) later in the afternoon.

Just back in the house after taking grand doggy for a walk.  He is really a 'house' dog and got very excited by all the smells when walking outside.  I have never seen a dog sniff so many flowers and plants.  Maybe he want to be a vegan?

Positive thoughts to all on the care list. 

Wasn't last night's sailaway exciting?  

• Like 31

Good Morning Rich and my fellow DAILYITES. We have had a lot of rain the past day or two and it looks like more of the same today.  It is wet and humid. Thanks for the Fleet report.  I am off to early Mass. Have a good day everyone.

• Like 17

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Sun glasses are a must to protect your eyes in the summer and yum on onions.  Love them in salads, fried, however they may come

8351828E-EEB6-44B9-9BDF-55395266FAD4.jpeg.455ca047f6f52fd1e46c358be415e7e1.jpeg

Love playing Bingo on a BHB.  It’s the only time I play Bingo.  I’d love to be celebrating the day playing on a BHB.

F2E85FE6-4FE7-41BD-9FB7-3422CDE45F76.thumb.jpeg.6e048532693d1e92c76775f87cd54257.jpeg

I like that Chesterton quote. Yum on the meal suggestion for the day and a drink with caviar?  Double yum. 🙂 

I couldn’t believe all the viewers on yesterday’s sail a way.  Nice to see!

Another drizzly day here.  As long as it is only drizzly, I’m going to try to work in the wet garden.  The weeds are going to win the war if I don’t.  Not sure where they all came from in the last week 😡 

Saw this on FB the other day and since it’s cruise related, I thought I would share it.

B38B729C-0AB0-4258-A0C5-3379C67787D5.jpeg.d95c86be72ced0363a4587c33769cfb7.jpeg

@erewhon so sorry to hear about the variant hitting your country.  So sad.  This Delta variant is scary indeed.  On the bright side here in the Maritimes, the Atlantic Bubble is back 👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone! 

D56D2C97-B646-407F-9821-E94C1F2BA044.jpeg.b8f2e3e4b36a4c1656b9625ac04a404e.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combo of days! Love onion, especially green and red onions. I appreciate my 🕶.  I will toast the inventor of Bingo this evening. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family! A lovely morning here. Interesting quote. The meal sounds delicious. Not sure about the drink. Will wait for Summer’s recipe. Off to the gym, then food shopping and perhaps some water volleyball this afternoon. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Especially Joe. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Domaine Houchart Sainte Victoire - France

This dry rosé has very good ratings and a very decent price, if you can find it. I found one online distributor offering it for $12.49. 

Winemaker’s note

Domaine Houchart is owned by the Quiot family from Châteauneuf-du-Pape and extends a landscape of pine trees, thyme, olive and almond trees, with a view across Mount Saint Victoire, which inspired some of the greatest painters such as Picasso and impressionists such as Cezanne. The large number of grape varieties used, the quality of the ‘terroir’ and a unique microclimate give this dry Sainte Victoire rose a slightly mineral character. Gravel and limestone soils, poor and well-drained (new Côtes de Provence Appellation). Winemaking – Direct pressing, then settling at 12 degrees C. Fermented at 18 degrees, then matured on fine lees for 4 months. 4 grape varieties: Carignan,, Cinsault, Grenache Noir, Syrah.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone, thanks for the daily Rich.  Great collection of days, I love onions of all sorts, and enjoy the occasional bingo game.  Thankfully it looks like I’ll actually be able to use sunglasses today.  I like today’s quote by Chesterton.  Have not been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Taking mom to Woodmere Cemetery today to visit the graves of both sets of her grandparents, my great-grandparents.  She could never remember where they were buried so my sister and I researched it for her earlier this year and found the answer.  Prayers to everyone on our list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 27

46 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Wasn't last night's sailaway exciting?  

Yes!

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

I couldn’t believe all the viewers on yesterday’s sail a way.  Nice to see!

So many on both Webcams. FLL (2800+) and PEV (3500+)

And @POA1 posted some in-person shots for us

• Like 16

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

My late mam loved going to the bingo and she won often.

It is 12.42pm 58°F and partly cloudy here my sunglasses are a must especially after my eye op.

I have normal sunglasses and these Varifocal lensed sunglasses.

Plymouth is a Royal navy port but Southampton just along the south coast is the Premier cruise port in England.

I love Earl Grey tea but never tried this alcohol version.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham 

16247942502355022774174510955899.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning.  Like Kazu, love Onions in anything.  Always wear sun glasses and rarely play Bingo.  The Chesterton quote is very good.  Love the meal suggestion, will have to make sure I have all the ingredients.

Loved the sail away yesterday, hope the first of many.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and wear your masks so we can board the BHB.

Today's drink requires ALOT of prep.

Earl Grey Caviar Martini:

Pour 0.1 oz of lemon juice, 0.1 oz of lime juice, and 0.7 oz of apple juice into a shaker
Add 0.5 oz of elderflower syrup, 0.3 oz of triple sec, and 1.5 oz of citrus vodka
Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake gently
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
Garnish with tea caviar and tea foam

Tea Caviar:
Antonio Lai’s recipe, good for 33 oz: place a package of Earl Grey tea in 40.5 oz of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then add 3.5 oz of sugar and 26.5 oz of algin. Cool and store in the refrigerator.

Tea Foam:
Antonio Lai’s recipe, good for 33 oz: place 0.7 oz of Earl Grey tea in 40.5 oz of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then add 3.5 oz of sugar and 0.4 oz of lecithin. Beat until foam forms.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 7.37.49 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning!  It's early here in St. Louis but we have a busy day ahead and besides, our bodies are still running on Eastern time zone.  It sure doesn't look good outside.  That presents a real predicament to the teams playing at 8 am, 9:30 am, 11 am and the Tigers who play at 12:30.  Except for 12 noon, rain is predicted all day long!🙁

I like onions in most everything, enjoy bingo, and wish I could wear my sunglasses today.  If only...

I haven't been to Plymouth England,  but were once at nearby ports of Falmouth and Isle of Portland on Prinsendam.  Now that she is gone, which ship will get me to these fabulous small port cities?

I was trying to watch the Edge sail away last night but we had to leave before she got completely turned around towards the channel or else we would be late to the indoor barbecue feast the soccer team held for all of us.  It was at their hotel way down in south county and we are way up north closer to the soccer fields.  We were halfway there and it started to POUR down rain on us.  The highway traffic slowed to a crawl near our intended exit so we got off the highway to take a different route but that route had some high water in the lanes.  It was a real frog strangler as they like to say.  Finally arrived and enjoyed a delicious meal with other families of the players.  The boys stick together like glue and had a great time stuffing themselves after all their hard work yesterday.

Going to visit DMIL mid morning after her breakfast.  I hope she is up to a visit today.  Which reminds me, prayers to the many on the list who are in need of them.  Congrats to any and all on the celebration list. 👩  Thanks to @richwmnwho starts our day for us, @rafinmdwho keeps track of us all, and to @kazufor making me laugh.  The Hoarders meme is a riot, and so true!

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!   

Lots of sunshine this morning in northeast Ohio.   It is supposed to be a hot one day.  Not as hot as places in the PNW will be, hot enough.   I did turn on the AC.  

I love onions.   People used to ask if I liked a little hamburger with my onion.   Green onions are a great snack!  Sun glasses are a necessity, but I'll skip the bingo.

Today's meal sounds really tasty.  I'd do them without the bun for fewer carbs.    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/crab-cake-sandwiches-with-oyster-cracker-breading-3721266

666557241_Crabcakesandwicheswithoystercrackerbreading.jpeg.ceffac526d67856cb5687ff838217b8d.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good  morning  to  all. Thanks  to  Rich,Roy,Jacqui  and  the  Food  and  Beverage  Departments for  our  lists,quotes, ports  and  recipes.

Everyday  is  National  Onion  Day  in  this  house  as  I  cook  with  them  constantly. My  prescription  lenses  darken  into  sunglasses   and  I  really  appreciate  that  feature  except  when  walking  into  the  house on  a  sunny  day. It  takes  time  to   adjust. I  worked  for  a  time in  a  Nursing  Home and  believe  me,  the  weekly  Bingo  was  the  most  popular  activity. There  was  no  way  to  get  a  patient  out  of  there  for  a  PT  session. Priorities!

The  power  company  has  sent  notices  about  the  Heat  Advisory  and  there  have  been  two  short  outages  so  far  this  morning. I  hope  those  on  the  West  Coast  are  holding  up with  this heat  wave.It  has  to  be  awful  where  there  is  no  AC.

The  recipe looks  very  good  but  I  will  save  it  for  another  day. Thanks @dfish, I  would  have  it  without  the  bun  as  well. Today  we  are  trying  to  BBQ  later  with  the  plan  to  eat  inside  if it  is  too  humid. I  tried  a  new  white  bean  salad  recipe  with  carrots,celery  and  scallions that  I  hope  will  be  a  hit.DD  is  making  us  coffee  ice  cream  in  her  fancy  ice  cream  maker.

We  were  in  nearby Falmouth on  the  Prinsendam  and  had  a  lovely  cream  tea  in  town. I  remember  the  pretty  beach  as  well.

IMG_1279.JPG

• Like 31

There were some good shots of Celebrity leaving port yesterday on CNN.  CNN has a reporter on board the cruise ship who will be reporting periodically in case anyone is interested.

Ship is at 40% capacity & 99% vaccinated passengers.  Saw a lot of masks in the pics.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning: I love onions - all kinds, yellow, red, green, sweet. The crabcakes sound wonderful but, like others, I prefere them without the bun.

I came across a nice quote today that I will share:  "You will either step fprward into growth or you will step backward into safety" (Abraham Maslow).

Stay safe everyone - especially to those in the Northwest experiencing a dangerous heat wave.

Jim

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 21

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach. 

Interesting days, love onions on just about anything! I am a volunteer Bingo caller for a local group. It started up last week again after the shutdown. You would think they were winning a million dollars! They all enjoy it. Me- dont ask. LOL

Crab cakes are a favorite of mine but no bun . Have not been to todays port, looking forward to the pictures.

Loved watching the sail away last nite. It was all over our local news. Hope all goes well and we all can have a sail away soon!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24