Go Green—reduced housekeeping services—is this new?

cruisestitch

10 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Lots of folks get room service or bring snacks and beverages back to their cabins.  There are few flat surfaces in the cabin and I don't want to have my lunch plate sitting there overnight.  Can see a mountain of disgusting dirty plates and glasses lining the corridors. 

Don't need twice daily cleanup, but fresh towels and a full ice bucket shouldn't be to much to ask for.  

No where in this did it ever mention leaving dirty plates in ones cabin.  Also, there are always, unfortunately, a few disgusting dirty plates lining the corridors.  Removing room service trays, plates etc. will continue.  🙄

• Like 1

Hotel chains have been doing this for years. I think Marriott either right before or after the Starwood merger would offer drink coupons for skipping daily service and many of their full service hotels. I suspect it was a combination of cost savings and a feel good promotion that appealed to a subset of customers. And this looks exactly the same. If it appeals to you, go for it. If not, don't. Same as hotels.

• Like 3

We prefer fresh towels daily but see no need for a change of bed linens daily. Waste of time,  labor, water...The  ship's laundry is huge operation..This could be a big  savings for the cruise line.

Hope they will not start to limit pool towels...now you take what you need to use at the pool and return them to the bins,  On Royal we had to sign for them.  Very controlled.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought cruise lines only did a turn down service at night and not a full clean?

I’ll opt in. One thing I like about Celebrity is their approach to sustainability compared to other lines. Reduced single use plastic and paper, offering sustainable excursions, programs like this, etc.

Although, if they really want to be more sustainable they can do things like fitting their ships for shore power, burning better fuel, etc. I am wary that it reduces crew or crew wages, but as becoming sustainable becomes more cost-effective we may see more programs offered  like this. Still, happy they offer it as a choice first.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

No where in this did it ever mention leaving dirty plates in ones cabin.  Also, there are always, unfortunately, a few disgusting dirty plates lining the corridors.  Removing room service trays, plates etc. will continue.  🙄

ok.  The link Zitsky posted states they will remove garbage, so no problem with that.  Will still likely pass on this.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Lots of folks get room service or bring snacks and beverages back to their cabins.  There are few flat surfaces in the cabin and I don't want to have my lunch plate sitting there overnight.  Can see a mountain of disgusting dirty plates and glasses lining the corridors. 

Don't need twice daily cleanup, but fresh towels and a full ice bucket shouldn't be to much to ask for.  

The protocol is to call room service, if you get hold music the protocol is still to hold and when someone eventually answers, the them to please retrieve dirty dishes from your cabin.  When someone shows up, most will be fishing for a tip.

Other lines encourage you to leave your dishes in the hallways.  Can't win until they change the protocol to within the app.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The protocol is to call room service, if you get hold music the protocol is still to hold and when someone eventually answers, the them to please retrieve dirty dishes from your cabin.  When someone shows up, most will be fishing for a tip.

Other lines encourage you to leave your dishes in the hallways.  Can't win until they change the protocol to within the app.

Just curious as to which cruise lines encourage you to leave dirty dishes in the hallway?  

13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Regardless of pro or con, I am also cynical about the reason.  They are cutting down to reduce cost and staff.

I don't think staff are as eager to return as they might have been before, so I partially disagree, because I don't think cost is the only reason. Labor is a reason.

When got to my cabin two weeks ago on the Maiden Voyage of Apex the very nice and helpful cabin stewardess asked me if I like to „ Green“ . She explained it meant one day full service the other half service- whatever that means. I declined to go Green- as I did not see what would have so Green about it. I like fresh towels every day- yes. The bed linen got changed in the middle of the cruise and thats how it always was in my experience on board X vessels. She thanked me for pointing that out at once. 

She did a great job in keeping everything ship shape in my cabin, i have to say though I never leave any clothing or other stuff lying about in chaotic fashion. 

A few related thoughts.  About 3 years ago, the resort hotel we visited, when in Myrtle Beach, suddenly stopped daily room cleaning (with little notice) and replaced it with a towel/linen change once every 3 days.  They did not reduce the room charges and, in fact, implemented a new extra fee for those who demanded daily cleaning.  We decided to take our business elsewhere and are now much happier in a rented Condo which gives us a lot more space/facilities for less money.

So now it seems like X wants to adapt a similar policy.  So I am wondering are they also reducing their auto-tips?  If the cruise line wants to reduce services it just makes sense that they should also reduce their associated fees.  While, for now, it is a voluntary policy one wonders how long it will be until this will become the new norm (i.e. less services) with an "opt in" policy (at an extra charge).  Twice a day service (from cabin stewards) has been a cruise tradition (on mass market lines) for as long as we have been cruising (over 40 years).   Because of the constant "death from a thousand cut-backs" policy we have seen on X over the past few years, DW and I have simply moved on to ultra-luxury cruise lines (which actually does not cost any more then X if one books similar type cabins) and compares amenities.

As to reducing cabin service, it is puzzling since the cruise ships are designed to house sufficient crew to handle the typical twice a day cabin service.  While shore-based resorts can fall back on their cry that "they are having trouble finding enough employees" that does not seem to be the issue with cruise lines.  So, why the change?

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Just curious as to which cruise lines encourage you to leave dirty dishes in the hallway?  

CCL.  I called room service to request a dirty dish pickup, the person on the phone said to leave it in the hallway

I'm not doing this! I want clean everything EVERY DAY! Isn't that what the housekeeping crew gets paid for? I always leave extra tips for them at the end of our cruise!!! So NO I'm not interested in this at all!!!

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A few related thoughts.  About 3 years ago, the resort hotel we visited, when in Myrtle Beach, suddenly stopped daily room cleaning (with little notice) and replaced it with a towel/linen change once every 3 days.  They did not reduce the room charges and, in fact, implemented a new extra fee for those who demanded daily cleaning.  We decided to take our business elsewhere and are now much happier in a rented Condo which gives us a lot more space/facilities for less money.

So now it seems like X wants to adapt a similar policy.  So I am wondering are they also reducing their auto-tips?  If the cruise line wants to reduce services it just makes sense that they should also reduce their associated fees.  While, for now, it is a voluntary policy one wonders how long it will be until this will become the new norm (i.e. less services) with an "opt in" policy (at an extra charge).  Twice a day service (from cabin stewards) has been a cruise tradition (on mass market lines) for as long as we have been cruising (over 40 years).   Because of the constant "death from a thousand cut-backs" policy we have seen on X over the past few years, DW and I have simply moved on to ultra-luxury cruise lines (which actually does not cost any more then X if one books similar type cabins) and compares amenities.

As to reducing cabin service, it is puzzling since the cruise ships are designed to house sufficient crew to handle the typical twice a day cabin service.  While shore-based resorts can fall back on their cry that "they are having trouble finding enough employees" that does not seem to be the issue with cruise lines.  So, why the change?

Hank

These early sailings have reduced capacity (30%) so not sure how much of an issue it is for the crew to service cabins.  Just a choice of the individual passengers wanting to be environment friendly (but not sure if it really saves any energy or carbon footprint unless all passengers do it and they can save a day from running the laundry). 

13 hours ago, markeb said:

Hotel chains have been doing this for years. I think Marriott either right before or after the Starwood merger would offer drink coupons for skipping daily service and many of their full service hotels. I suspect it was a combination of cost savings and a feel good promotion that appealed to a subset of customers. And this looks exactly the same. If it appeals to you, go for it. If not, don't. Same as hotels.

In the few times I have stayed in hotels during the pandemic, there was no daily service and you had to call and request clean towels.  Now there are staffing issues too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As to reducing cabin service, it is puzzling since the cruise ships are designed to house sufficient crew to handle the typical twice a day cabin service.

I believe X cut down staff a few years ago. We always had a cabin Steward and his assistant. I believe they had dispensed with the assistant on our June 2018 sailing.

Stayed in a Hilton a couple of weeks ago for 5 days. They don’t enter your room unless you ask. Had to set the trash can outside the door, and had to call the front desk to request toilet paper.

This is all about reducing costs. There is zero measurable effect on the environment. If you accept this “green” program, service will continue to slowly slide.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

I'm not doing this! I want clean everything EVERY DAY! Isn't that what the housekeeping crew gets paid for? I always leave extra tips for them at the end of our cruise!!! So NO I'm not interested in this at all!!!

You seriously have clean sheets and towels every day at home???

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

You seriously have clean sheets and towels every day at home???

I see your point but when you travel and pay for service, you expect it to be delivered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

@Hlitner what cruiseline do you think is comparable to X considering benefits / amenities?  I looked at Silver Sea, Seabourn etc. Several thousand more.  I was comparing to Aqua.

Ok, so we need to think in terms of value and what is included.  One also needs to take advantage of pricing on certain cruises.  But I will give you a good example,   We have an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Seabourn which is costing us about $390 per passenger day.  Consider that for that price we get a suite that is about 300 sq feet plus a veranda that adds another 65 sq feet.  That price is all-inclusive and one could cruise for weeks and not spend an additional penny onboard (unless they choose to buy some extras).  For that price you get the suite, concierge, constantly stocked mini-bar (to your specifications), top shelf booze and decent wine (all unlimited), very good food, no-charge alternative restaurants, amazing service, etc.  You also get a ship without queues, where getting a well spaced deck chair is almost always easy, where service on deck is excellent (you want a burger just signal a staff member), etc.  When you go to shows there is no need to show-up 30 minutes early, no lines to get on and off at ports, few hassles if you need tendered. etc.  If you want Caviar and French Champagne you have only to ask (no charge).  Now compare this to a 300 sq foot cabin/suite on Celebrity with the premium drink package and some kind of dining package that would include all the alternative restaurants.  

There are other ultra luxury lines where the cost can be a lot higher, but some of these even include round trip Business Class air (Regent does this), pre-cruise land stay in a 5 Star Hotel, etc.  So one does need to compare apples to apples.  DW and I are blessed to have cruised on all types of ships (from 20 passenger yacht to 4000+ vessels) and loved them all :).  But I do think a mistake made by many who routinely cruise on mass market lines in the better cabins is that they often do not look at the Seabourns, Silverseas, etc. as an option.   You also might want to consider that while the space ratio (tons per passenger) on a mass market ship is often in the 25-40 range, on the luxury lines the ratio an easily be 70+.   I have sometimes posted that its like the person who buys the most expensive home in a neighborhood (like paying for a suite on X) vs somebody who buys in a neighborhood where everyone has an expensive home.

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

Just now, zitsky said:

I see your point but when you travel and pay for service, you expect it to be delivered.

There is nothing saying they won’t deliver the service. 
At the nightly turndown I found they tidied up a bit and despite me hanging the towels up indicating I’d reuse them; they would change them anyway ( this happens on every line )… as far as I can see the “ green” bit means they probably won’t now reclean my shower and perhaps they now won’t give me new towels.

We have never ever had clean sheets daily on any cruise (73 at last count).

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

CC points are not worthless if you are on many military rates, Blue Chip rates, travel agent rates, “simply sail” rates and others who don’t qualify for the “always included”

I had an email today, inviting me to upgrade from the Classic included  package to the Premium beverage package, with 10% off as we are Elite status. This cannot be done on the ship or online. There is a telephone number to ring.(UK)