Review: Adventure of the Seas - "Because this will NEVER happen again"

Thanks for that great summary and for this entire review. Every minute of it was exceptional  I'm waiting on my Serenade in August and one of your takeaways jumped out at me... "Don't over plan", I think that is what I am doing.  I'm going to dial it all back a bit and just enjoy it as it comes.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks for that great summary and for this entire review. Every minute of it was exceptional  I'm waiting on my Serenade in August and one of your takeaways jumped out at me... "Don't over plan", I think that is what I am doing.  I'm going to dial it all back a bit and just enjoy it as it comes.  

It's soooo easy to over plan.

This dining thing is on sale, this excursion is cheap, this is cheap.

You just keep buying stuff and you really don't need it!

I've never done that before, but pandemic had be shopping just to shop.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

@RCCL Fan

For this cruise, with these rules in place, do you think cruising with an unvaccinated family member altered your vacation in any significant way?

No I don't.

It was hard ahead of time.  Our youngest was upset, she felt like she was going to be "the odd one"  or "weird one"  or causing us issues.

We promised her we would all bring them and wear too so she didn't feel alone.   Honestly, I can't thing of a time when she felt singled out,  different  etc.    

She was free to sit maskless at dinner, and on the pool deck.    There were a few times where I admit, WE FORGOT.  

We would leave the room and she would be maskless and it wouldn't be until later that we would look at her and be like OMG and had to run back to get it.    She never was chased down or yelled at. 

I think with the ship being 95% vaccinated, and the few kids we had on board, no one was really stressing about the times when they were maskless. 

It felt like a normal cruise vacation for us.   Everyone said it was one of the best ever. 

We're nervous to see what Allure will be like out of the US

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

We're nervous to see what Allure will be like out of the US

When are you on Allure?  We're on the Sept 19 cruise.  I'd LOVE it if it were partial capacity but I'm guessing they will have ramped up to full capacity by then.

Thank you for your delightful review!  So invigorating to live vicariously.  We've just done a Mississippi River cruise, and it's a complete 180 degrees from an ocean cruise.  We did enjoy it.  Would do another. Just a different experience.

Can't wait until next month for our Royal Caribbean cruise in 19 months.  The longest we've ever gone since discovering cruising!!

The Allure is probably our favorite ship.  We really like the Oasis class of ship.  We're fellow Texans, so can hardly wait until the Allure is in Galveston!

• Like 1

Great finish and end of trip tips.  

I completely understand what you mean about over planning.  It’s so easy to do, especially after such a long break from cruising.  We have booked just the 3 night dining package, and the beach club for one day (both weeks for the club, just first week for dining package).  We’ve opted not to book any other excursions the first week, and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel the second week.  That’s it.  We want to be able to take a breath as it were, and soak it in.  

We are also booked on a 6pm flight out of Nassau, so thank you so much for the run down of how your day went, and ideas for what I can arrange for our departure.  Dealing with the luggage seemed like the biggest hurdle — I assume the Hilton allowed you to “check” your bags with them for the day?  Sounds like a much nicer day than hanging at the airport. And cash, need to remember to bring more than I was thinking (which wasn’t much) because it’s a pain if you can’t get to an atm when you urgently need some.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

When are you on Allure?  We're on the Sept 19 cruise.  I'd LOVE it if it were partial capacity but I'm guessing they will have ramped up to full capacity by then.

We're not until November....  so plenty of time for lots of changes

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, denamo said:

Thank you for your delightful review!  So invigorating to live vicariously.  We've just done a Mississippi River cruise, and it's a complete 180 degrees from an ocean cruise.  We did enjoy it.  Would do another. Just a different experience.

Can't wait until next month for our Royal Caribbean cruise in 19 months.  The longest we've ever gone since discovering cruising!!

The Allure is probably our favorite ship.  We really like the Oasis class of ship.  We're fellow Texans, so can hardly wait until the Allure is in Galveston!

Allure has always been my favorite ship, we've sailed her several times.  I was thrilled when they announced she was coming to Texas. 

Lately we've been on a smaller ship kick....  Vision, Serenade, Enchantment and have loved them and found several reasons why we preferred them to the big lady Allure.    

I do think Voyager class might just be the perfect compromise for us.... I think we have some voyager class bookings in our future.   Waiting to see what gets permanently placed on the 5 night routes out of Galveston.

2 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Allure has always been my favorite ship, we've sailed her several times.  I was thrilled when they announced she was coming to Texas. 

Lately we've been on a smaller ship kick....  Vision, Serenade, Enchantment and have loved them and found several reasons why we preferred them to the big lady Allure.    

I do think Voyager class might just be the perfect compromise for us.... I think we have some voyager class bookings in our future.   Waiting to see what gets permanently placed on the 5 night routes out of Galveston.

We've done each of those and there is something to be said for each class and the charms it offers.  Maybe we'll see you on board some day.  I grew up in Arlington, so familiar with your neck of the woods. Thanks again for such a thrilling review.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Day 7 --- Freeport

219891720_IMG_6869(1).thumb.JPG.aa2e5cf899632e0ee7c15ec97f106e1d.JPG

So when RCI first announce this route and the stop in "Grand Bahama Island" at first I was like....  where is that?   Bring in Google..... oh it's Freeport.

I think it's pretty commonplace feeling about the island.   We sailed in to that industrial port.....early that morning,  saw two whale tails getting worked on, and doubled down on our plans to stay onboard.

My wife really wanted to get off the ship here, but there were like no excursions that appealed to us.    The spot for the beach break didn't even have loungers.... and the kids wouldn't likely sit through a bus tour.    There was just nothing to do, as is typically the case in Freeport.....  it seemed worse than normal this time though.

So we opted for another sea day. 

745207936_64694045829__66AABE24-26A1-4A76-A476-538CF6ECCDE9(1).thumb.JPG.4508498b103ce815ca3908289bce510a.JPG

Spent the morning low key by the pool....  before part of our group got antsy and wanted to go ashore....  But we were unsure how that would work.   We have our 7 year old who isn't vaccinated and we were unsure if all of us were sentenced to the ship or not.  

My oldest daughter wanted to go ashore with her friend who was on another reservation in another cabin.   I told her, I didn't know if it would be allowed for covid reasons but also for security reasons,  I can't imagine the cruise line would let you get off on your own without permission from your parents.

I said I'd walk down to the gangway and be there to explain and answer questions.

Well....

No need.    She was let right off....  no questions about the covid status and no questions about her leaving without us. 

Um...   both of these incidents concerned me.  I expected them to be more strict about this covid situation.... but i was more concerned that they would let a 12 year old leave a ship alone.   I'm hoping something in the system flagged that she was with friends who were linked to our reservation.

244406916_IMG_6848(1).thumb.JPG.e37e2953c3e28158c1394eb746f178c0.JPG

Not needed I turned to go back upstairs when I saw a first.... like a dozen luggage carts filled with boxes from amazon.  I guess Freeport is mail day and crew must get their packages sent here.  How cool was this?  I was like what's the address to the ship???   I would love to surprise some crew members with an amazon gift. 

233348812_IMG_6864(1).thumb.JPG.920ddabae9da25c6271cb8b86f280903.JPG

I do believe i've missed lunch quite a bit  on the cruise....   so today I popped into Windjammer right at high noon ---- and yes I know it was a port day but when is windjammer ever this empty in the heart of lunch time.  I swear it's going to be hard to cruise on a full ship after this.    This experience really does change things a lot and while I know RCI needs those ships full again,  man i could get used to this.

212142023_10227106377229267_1216937794107210300_n.thumb.jpg.3969e44ac94df0ebb86677c04ed2d542.jpg

The girls got in some time ice skating....   and I made my way for my end of cruise relaxation......   a massage.

197217605_IMG_6903(1).thumb.JPG.e677670b83a11e68e13dff7a1c32004a.JPG

So couple things you should know.   I came to check in..... there wasn't any fruit infused water as usual.... i get it,  sharing the dispenser.   But wish they had some bottled water.... I was told I could go to the sky bar for water, but it was closed. 

Anyway...    I waited FOREVER to see my therapist....  I did get there about 10 minutes before my time, but I didn't expect to wait 40 minutes to see someone.

IMG_6904.thumb.JPG.5bd4e2f64beeb6cc85dfd051b54b544a.JPG

Well.... it was worth it.  My therapist, Baby, was well amazing.  She kneaded the knots in my back like crazy.   Like she worked hard to get the stress out and was funny and sweet and it was just a great massage. I was so happy I did it, and was kicking myself for not going longer.

1641808355_IMG_6911(1).thumb.JPG.015f81ce40e7342c32dbd40ed9ea33e4.JPG

While on this side of the ship, I decided to check up the flying saucer.... that's what I call the new section of panoramic rooms added to the Voyager/Freedom class.   We were supposed to be in this new section on adventure back in 2020, so I wanted to give it a peek.    Hallways were bright white instead of the 80's pink....  it looked clean and fresh and new.... i would totally consider this spot moving forward....   I know the lack of balcony ruins it for many,  but those suites with the second bathroom might be worth it on a short cruise at least.

207544605_10226931385658514_805296888207704046_n.thumb.jpg.84f8466c9990d90d88d317fd8a20e39e.jpg

After this we headed to the dining room for packing and our final dinner.

The night that night was a night of goodbyes....  it was a tough night.

206887780_10226931715506760_23751905384921168_n.jpg.a823abf5a10ab0476e0f8a3f723372d5.jpg

We felt so close to so many crew members on this ship.   The girls got in time with the singers/dancers, including Jordan, the ice skater with a social media following who they just loved.    We had our extra tip envelopes out and this was the first time I went to Guest services to request more.  There  just so many people who went above and beyond on this cruise.

206160700_10226931715026748_2286391958076778348_n.jpg.e8499ce8163b44e35dbbb50127244a53.jpg

If you follow Michael Bayley at all and saw his posts on all the crew he spotlighted, man you get it,  they have a big family going here, and on this ship I felt that sense of togetherness, pure joy, and happiness to be working and to serve us. 

206780020_10226931383058449_8174374596403516873_n.thumb.jpg.52838efcb150ff9b7d51d0e86d34e478.jpg

There were three bars with live entertainment on the ship each night..... (wait 4 --- boleros too but it seemed empty a lot) but on this last night 3 singers, from the pub, schooner, and i think the big room on the front of the promenade (name escaping me)  all got together in the schooner bar and sang and drank and had fun together.  

838115244_IMG_6921(1).thumb.JPG.0cb3145d1a7d9eb8ab5a08d3ab60e7bf.JPG

It was a good night.  The ever awesome @dswallow brought glowsticks for all of us, people were buying shots for anyone who wanted them, audience members, even the kids were allowed to come up and sing.... and it was just a big family of guests and crew on duty and off, singing away the night.

206836233_10226931385338506_1599391624487098614_n.thumb.jpg.842b8cfcde392e515c3b34678f112396.jpg
The sense of togetherness and pure joy to be there was overflowing that night.....   our last one onboard.   

Were there hiccups   absolutely    but you couldn't go wrong with this bunch.   Great service,   great crowd size, and a pure happiness to be here, it was the perfect recipe for fun.

IMG_6929.thumb.JPG.b7737d81dbdaae880155177d8795d677.JPG

Tomorrow --- Getting off the ship ---- Killing time, lots of time,  and a Boom of a return home!

Did you convert friends from Carnival to Royal?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Great finish and end of trip tips.  

I completely understand what you mean about over planning.  It’s so easy to do, especially after such a long break from cruising.  We have booked just the 3 night dining package, and the beach club for one day (both weeks for the club, just first week for dining package).  We’ve opted not to book any other excursions the first week, and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel the second week.  That’s it.  We want to be able to take a breath as it were, and soak it in.  

We are also booked on a 6pm flight out of Nassau, so thank you so much for the run down of how your day went, and ideas for what I can arrange for our departure.  Dealing with the luggage seemed like the biggest hurdle — I assume the Hilton allowed you to “check” your bags with them for the day?  Sounds like a much nicer day than hanging at the airport. And cash, need to remember to bring more than I was thinking (which wasn’t much) because it’s a pain if you can’t get to an atm when you urgently need some.  

As for the beach club ---  I enjoyed it.   It was a great meal, and nice clear water, but honestly I truly feel like you're just paying for the meal.  Everything else, was not much if at all different than the rest of the island, especially on Adventure sailing at reduced capacity.   If you're alone there, I would truly recommend ditching one of those beach club days.    The pool was amazing,  I never got to chill beach or the sports beach but I heard they were more empty than the beach club.

Also,  do NOT do a specialty restaurant the same night as your beach club day.  I was stuffed after that big meal, all of us were, and no one wanted to eat.  It was grab a bite in cafe promenade or order room service kinda night after those filets for lunch. 

Since we had my youngest, we couldn't do the beach clubs.   We've done Nachi before,   this time we were trying someplace new.  Have you done Nachi?   How old are your kids?

The luggage pick up was my biggest "what have i done?"  of the week.   I never thought our bags would just be "curbside" in a tent.   It explained why it took so long to get off the ship ... with such few people on.

My suggestion --- early afternoon flight if you can do it.   Avoid the early rush, which I hear is horrid,  and don't get stuck there all day like we did waiting for AA 1005.

But yes,  Hilton checked in our luggage for the day, and kept it until our driver picked us up.   We did a 2 hour tour, and it went fast,  I wouldn't hesitate eliminating the Hilton and doing a longer tour with maybe a beach stop or something next time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Did you convert friends from Carnival to Royal?

Well... I never got a definitive answer.... but here's what I can say.

Day 2 - their daughter repeatedly and proudly declared they were never sailing Carnival again.

Day 5 - the wives concluded they were going on Celebrity Edge together, alone

While flying home we kept getting screenshots of other cruises and prices, on Royal as they were talking next sailing on the way home. 🙂

I think if they get a good deal sailing out of Nola where they can drive to port Carnival might still happen, but they definitely saw the difference and loved the experience on Royal.

I actually had the best talk with someone in the hallway randomly.  She was on her first RCI cruise and she said to me, "I get it now.  I never understood it,  why people badmouthed Carnival and I have taken it and really liked it and Disney too,  but everyone kept saying take Royal.  I was like what's the big deal.  Now I see,  they're all ok, but if I had done this first, and then tried carnival I would have hated it,  it's just a different experience, the service is so much better and so are the ships"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

As for the beach club ---  I enjoyed it.   It was a great meal, and nice clear water, but honestly I truly feel like you're just paying for the meal.  Everything else, was not much if at all different than the rest of the island, especially on Adventure sailing at reduced capacity.   If you're alone there, I would truly recommend ditching one of those beach club days.    The pool was amazing,  I never got to chill beach or the sports beach but I heard they were more empty than the beach club.

Also,  do NOT do a specialty restaurant the same night as your beach club day.  I was stuffed after that big meal, all of us were, and no one wanted to eat.  It was grab a bite in cafe promenade or order room service kinda night after those filets for lunch. 

Since we had my youngest, we couldn't do the beach clubs.   We've done Nachi before,   this time we were trying someplace new.  Have you done Nachi?   How old are your kids?

The luggage pick up was my biggest "what have i done?"  of the week.   I never thought our bags would just be "curbside" in a tent.   It explained why it took so long to get off the ship ... with such few people on.

My suggestion --- early afternoon flight if you can do it.   Avoid the early rush, which I hear is horrid,  and don't get stuck there all day like we did waiting for AA 1005.

But yes,  Hilton checked in our luggage for the day, and kept it until our driver picked us up.   We did a 2 hour tour, and it went fast,  I wouldn't hesitate eliminating the Hilton and doing a longer tour with maybe a beach stop or something next time.

Yeah, I figured, with reduced capacity over all, that we are just paying for the meal at the Beach club.  I managed to snag it at the current lower price point (still high, IMO) but since we have 4 days total at CocoCay, I’ll keep it. I expect we will do oasis lagoon one of the days, and maybe chill on the other one.  None of our “kids” (youngest is now 20– they grow too dang fast) are along for this cruise so don’t have to worry about them,  vaccines, etc.  Will double check our specialty dining is not on CocoCay day.  One thing puzzles me about the dining at the Beach Club — how do you make reservations so you are not eating so late?  Just have to get there first?  

Never been to Cozumel, so first time at Nachi Cocom.  We are west coasters, so usually do Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.  ( Las Caletas is an excellent PV excursion, if you are ever looking for one).  A bunch of people in a group for our sailing are going to Nachi, so we decided to join in.

The luggage is a pita when trying to occupy yourself for the better part of a day.  I’m doubt we can change our flight home, unless AA does it for us in one of their many schedule changes.  We currently are booked at 6pm.  I actually booked a room at the Hyatt at LAX for that night, because our arrival is so late, I’m not interested in the long drive home.  I will wait until closer in to book a day pass, in case our flights change — but I hadn’t even thought of that as an option, so huge thank you for giving me that idea and the limo tour alternate.  

Great review, I've always enjoyed your reviews. You have a great way with words 

Flying to the UK after cruises in America, our flights are always late afternoon or evening . Last time we went out of Miami we got a day room at one of the airport hotels, and it was the best departure ever. Lovely pool, lunch and a room to nap and shower and change before the long flight home. I would always recommend  this if you have a late flight .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wayne, Thanks for letting me re-live my cruise again through your wonderful review. It was like having another week on the ship, but without the expense. LOL

I don't know if it is a thing with American or what, but they pulled the same stunt with us for our afternoon flight. They said it was time to board and they called all the different zones just about at the same time. We got 3/4 of the way down the jetway and ended up standing at the barrier for another 12 - 15 minutes while they finished cleaning the plane.

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you and your wonderful family. Hopefully, we will be able to sail together again.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome review!

Quick question: excursions (especially on CocoCay) are sky high priced. Does it makes sense to wait booking them until we're on-board? Any difference in pricing?

@RCCL Fan Thanks for your tips Wayne, I will take heed. I too suffer from the dreaded disease of "over planning."  It will be hard but I will try and back off before our November cruise.

You did a great job of not letting the stress of things get to you. Sometimes we all have to say "Oh well, nothing I can really do about it, it is what it is."

I keep hearing so many great things about Allure. I have to get on that ship at some point. I do agree with you Voyager class is great. It's the Goldilocks principal of,  Not too big, not too small,  just right. 

Thanks again for letting us live through you. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers,

Greg the Sea Dog

14 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

None of our “kids” (youngest is now 20– they grow too dang fast) are along for this cruise  One thing puzzles me about the dining at the Beach Club — how do you make reservations so you are not eating so late?  Just have to get there first?  

Never been to Cozumel, so first time at Nachi Cocom.   A bunch of people in a group for our sailing are going to Nachi, so we decided to join in.

I hadn’t even thought of that as an option, so huge thank you for giving me that idea and the limo tour alternate.  

Sorry I thought I remembered you posting about little ones.... got my user names mixed up.  🙂

I'm told you can make your reservations for the Beach Club onboard the ship.... with the suite/diamond concierge or through the head waiter in the dining room.    My wife said the head waiter asked us about reservations for the beach club on the first night... but I was too busy coming down off the luggage fiasco to pay attention.

So Nachi ---  kidless and with a group you'll be fine.   Our experience was it was not a repeat for us. The service wasn't strong,  the drinks were just ok,  and while small and quiet, it was almost too quiet.  If you're going to read a book and take a nap on the beach, you'll be fine.    

We're not partiers.... Mr. Sanchos  scares me.....  but this place was too library like for us, and the food and service being meh just made it worse.

We're trying Paradise on our next stop (if RCI lets us off the ship)  

The only reason I chose a day pass at the Hilton was because i thought we would already be there, coming off the ship and we have kids.  There are many other hotels/resorts with day passes.  many are adult only so didn't work for us.   Many nicer ones out there too.  I was just eliminating a cab ride.... and more covid exposure.    

If I knew I was picking up luggage ship side and having take a cab anyway I may have chose someplace else.

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

Great review, I've always enjoyed your reviews. You have a great way with words 

Flying to the UK after cruises in America, our flights are always late afternoon or evening . Last time we went out of Miami we got a day room at one of the airport hotels, and it was the best departure ever. Lovely pool, lunch and a room to nap and shower and change before the long flight home. I would always recommend  this if you have a late flight .

Where did you stay?   I'm looking for a solid hotel near MIA airport right now.  We're flying into MIA the night before a cruise and want to get a nice hotel near the airport for the night, before we head to the port the next morning.   I haven't found many options that look nice, so I'd love to know where you were.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Day 5  --  Cozumel

IMG_6740.thumb.JPG.28ac9d62e1f91cd1e4bdd1130fc19cde.JPG

Today was kinda a big deal. A cruise ship visiting a city where people depend on it...   actually two cruise ships.

IMG_6706.thumb.JPG.2ebb535a09699ed0c8221d71e9d4b10e.JPG

I woke up in time to see Celebrity Edge sail into port. Onboard was Chairmen Richard Fain, and a whole bunch of reporters.... some personal friends.   Edge was the first cruise ship to leave from the US.  

I was actually surprised we were not only allowed to be in the same port as her, but we shared the same pier....  as one of my friends sailing on edge on her first cruise said, "I didn't realize we would be 15 feet apart"

IMG_6711.thumb.JPG.a4f19cd253c248c7a532d7405396ef58.JPG

I wanted to head down and see my friends.... but  my darling unvaccinated child meant I couldn't go ashore alone.   RCI had new rules saying we could only do ship tours.    So  I wouldn't be able to have  lunch with my colleagues I haven't seen in more than a year.   We phone called and waved from our perspective ships.

OK  Back to the tour.

202704720_10227087234470710_1693528599244530079_n.jpg.ad8c254f9f0e7b009b53c03dd8fb791a.jpg

We chose a Dune Buggy / Snorkel trip.  Royal sent a letter to the room offering a 50% on certain tours, since we were forced to cancel our private tour.   Oddly enough all the tours with the 50% discount had a minimum age that prevented us from doing them......  I was like uh.  Yeah she's too young for the vaccine, and for these tours.

Oh well, the others were discounted 20%.  Although when I went to book I learned the discount was only for the minor, not the 7 others in our group.   SO our tour wound up costing us a ton more. I was surprised they didn't offer it to the whole group.

It had an 8am departure time, was supposed to be a 3 hour tour....   so figured we'd be back in time for lunch.... and with us being "quarantined" and not allowed away from the RCI tour,  I left the ship with just my passport and a few bucks to tip the guide.

IMG_6715.thumb.JPG.cfce4f1173f98b2d4000692dda615c4b.JPG

We met shore side, in the shops area and were introduced to our tour guide. He told us we were his first tour in more than a year.  He was so excited to have us.

Told us our dune buggys were waiting at the pier,   asked who needed an automatic,  and said we would make a first stop to snorkel, then go to the other side of the island where we would stop for lunch, included in our tour, and then would make our way back through downtown.

I was surprised,  sounded like a lot for 3 hours, and there was nothing that said lunch was part of the tour.  OK maybe this wasn't so bad afterall.

IMG_6768.JPG.995d7fc98957bc7752994fc3e414eeb2.JPG

Off we went in our dune buggys which really were just small compact cars with the doors cut off! LOL

but whatever it was fun.

IMG_6732.thumb.JPG.8a99f14fe09b067a2e4c75bac6586860.JPG

Our first stop was a beach club, where I do wish i had brought more cash,  they folks at the snack bar and what not were there and ready to sell.  The beach was a little rough.... but nothing we couldn't live with.

Was a great snorkel visit.... my wife said her best ever....  lots of awesome sealife and a great guide.

207959334_10227087230910621_4998317897761468127_n.jpg.d85a8c46d1e02b1a2a0366eb1482f4c3.jpg

Then back in the dune buggys for a trip to our lunch spot.   It was like a 30 minute drive and we loved it, it was the uninhabited part of the island and it was really cool.    Then out in the middle of nowhere we stopped at this beach.... brown beach they called it.

200528685_10226931332977197_6572676259387568910_n.thumb.jpg.c06354e783f9b7e63e0816b1022b355c.jpg

We were led to an area where our group was told would be our home base for drinks and food and to enjoy the stop.   Our guide left and we ordered lunch,  with each person getting a drink.

By now it was noon,   long after our tour was to end.  but food came,  we ate, enjoyed and then we got.....  the bill.

IMG_6777.thumb.JPG.f98da972117c03cf6014fde97c09a845.JPG

Yep.  A bill.

We had been specifically told lunch was included by our guide when we left the ship.  Of course the ship description didn't say that but he did.

Each table was being handed bills for more than $100 and we were told "Cash Only"

and our guide couldn't be found.

People were freaking out.   No one had that much cash.  Like none of the people on the tours. A couple of us spoke to the servers and basically told them you have to take a credit card, if you don't you won't get money from any of these people.

So everyone banded together, shared cash and credit cards and made sure everyone's bills were paid.

Our guide showed back up and I approached him and said, "Did I hear wrong?  Didn't you say lunch was included?'   He said, "what's wrong?  what happened?"  I asked again, and he confirmed, "yes its supposed to be" 

We told him it wasn't and he went and talked to the restaurant and came back and said he was sorry it was a miscommunication.

But talk about that fear.... in Mexico no cash, and no ability to pay your bill at some small hole in the wall spot about 45 minutes away from the ship. 

I kept reassuring everyone that Royal would make this right, but some people didn't want to hear it, they felt duped.   It was a tense lunch. 

Now I'll readily admit I was a moron for leaving the ship without cash and a credit card,  complete moron.   But I honestly thought....   we're being quarantined.   they're going to let us drive these dune buggies around a bit,  jump in the water and head back to the ship.  No stopping for shopping or anything like that.   And being back by 11am  I expected to eat back on the ship.

We got a much longer nicer tour, just didn't have the cash to properly compensate these poor people who haven't had tourists for more than a year.   I wasn't worried about Royal making it right, I was worried that these people weren't going to get properly compensated and it all could have been avoided if we just knew what was happening.

IMG_6769.JPG.0c35899fef53dcdf77ef3df20916c47f.JPG

Anyway. We got back to the ship about 2 hours later than planned.  I expected to be herded back on board.... but no.  We were just set free.   I mean there was really nothing stopping us from hopping in a cap and going to a covid super spreader event.  

I mean everyone was good and did the right thing, mainly because they were ready to yell at the people at the shore excursion desk.

I had emailed corporate earlier in the day to ask permission to be away from the group briefly to file a report for work. It was granted, but honestly I could have done it without permission.   I was expecting us to be under lock and key more, but i guess their main concern was just that we not go to some beach club that wasn't clean.

Anyway, I filed a report from the pier,  and went on board and to the shore excursions desk.  Spoke to a manager and she worked to get us a refund for lunch.  I went out of my way to push how helpful and nice our guide was.   I didn't want him to get in trouble,  it was a miscommunication, and poor planning and it led to a tough situation. 

After hanging out on the ship a bit and working to get my report sent back to the states, I asked my youngest if she wanted to go down for pizza.  Of course not.... she wanted to go UP to the diamond lounge.   This kid I swear.

IMG_6771.thumb.JPG.ecf24267387ce00f70c920b176aee46d.JPG

She got her plate of cheese and  was doted on by the amazing diamond concierge Jennie, and the fabulous bar staff who couldn't put enough cherries on her drink.

IMG_6775.thumb.JPG.8a3539431b9368492e3714d1b0e8aa6c.JPG

We sat and snacked.... as our friends from Memphis came back all excited, they had just met Captain Kate, the social media superstar / captain of Celeb Edge. 

131472142_10226931331217153_2856431586076464368_n.thumb.jpg.307f85670c7e232ba8e2ba13c62814fa.jpg

They follow her on social media and were totally stalking her.... apparently she noticed them staring and waving at her, and came outside.  There were shouts of "we love you"  and she put them on her social media page.    It was really funny!  I had bet them, they would not meet her and they proved me wrong!

Shortly thereafter we heard some crew members were hurt and headed to the hospital, not further details on what happened the rest of the week.

IMG_6774.thumb.JPG.45a08e2f123594abbb31411df7a99d24.JPG

We then had an epic little horn battle between Capt. Kate and our guy Capt. Kristoff before heading back to the Bahamas. 

I may have my days mixed up but I think this night we saw one of the shows.... IMPACT. 

IMG_6799.thumb.JPG.64542fcfea1b1bd1d08045c7e5569e44.JPG

So this was a group using instruments and beats and lots of swinging of objects and well, I totally was not into it.  I kept trying but well.... meh.    But then I turned and looked at the girls  and well....  apparently it was just me.   They were all having a ball.

IMG_6790.thumb.JPG.50228073c1ab0683dbf507e52fda9a55.JPG

lol

There was some shopping done that night....   more time in the schooner bar..... and then I headed to bed for another night at Sea!

1838614374_203574320_10227087231550637_7257144932184609282_n(1).thumb.jpg.c3d2a009312dfa16320851962ad49ee0.jpg

IMG_6810.PNG

My Parents and I are Diamond on Royal and status matched to MLife Gold,Celebrity Elite,MSC Black and one of the top tiers on Azamara as well as Explorist with Hyatt.