Use caution when registering guest info

Oldsweets

Ok, folks the rules have seemed to have changed with carnival new computer online check-in and port check -in.  We did the Horizon on 4 July and it took us almost an hour and a half from the time we started checkin until on the gangway. With the ok’d system we saw we could enter just about any form of iD from enhanced drivers license to birth certificate to passport.  We said enhanced ID just like we always did and what do you know when we presented passports thinks started unraveling.  Once that was sorted out the real problem came up in that the system said we had NOT completed the health screening form.  We had and we checked back each day morning and night to make sure no new requirements might be needed and each time the Health Assessment document was lined through and marked completed. But at the pier it’s gone.  Just roll with the changes as they are leading a new system. We still weren’t done though as now the system demanded that our departing flight info be provided but just like we couldn’t give the system the port couldn’t either. The reason was that the system wasn’t loaded with all the airlines flight data so our flights were nit an option which happened to the folks checking in next to us as well.  Again just roll with it and they did work it out although I think they told the system a fib and said we were driving at this point.  The pier reps told us they wished carnival hadn’t rolled out a new computer system on opening but they did.  Once aboard the system problems didn’t stop with problems with the hub and you could see the frantic work to trouble shoot the issues and bu 2 hours after boarding all was fine.  Our advice is for now at least be exact in every answer as the system is most sensitive and not forgiving.  A big change from the old system.  We cruise again on the 31st so we will see how it’s changed

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

This is good to know. The old saying "pay attentions to details" has never been so true. Thanks for posting! 

There is another old saying--"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I hear you and for the most part I agree with you.

However, when it comes to technology, sometimes you have to fix what not's broken because what was not broken yesterday, won't work with what technology upgraded to today.

For instance, a platform that worked flawlessly yesterday, may no longer work today due to the platform it was designed on. If the base was developed on Internet Explorer,,, it's no longer going to work flawlessly on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Very true. And I think we can all agree, that this system IS broke, with all the glitches. I know those in the IT department are scrambling around, trying to fix the problems. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

So said the candlemakers to Thomas Edison as he was experimenting with lightbulbs, and the horse-drawn carriage manufacturers to Henry Ford...  Don't get me started about the complaining the abacus makers put the calculator inventors through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

So said the candlemakers to Thomas Edison as he was experimenting with lightbulbs, and the horse-drawn carriage manufacturers to Henry Ford...  Don't get me started about the complaining the abacus makers put the calculator inventors through.

But did the new technology screw everything up like the present IT departments of cruise lines seem to be doing? Read the Princess boards to see even more egregious examples.

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But did the new technology screw everything up like the present IT departments of cruise lines seem to be doing? Read the Princess boards to see even more egregious examples.

And people were saying it would be "so very easy" for a 50 state vaccine database to be implemented. 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

And people were saying it would be "so very easy" for a 50 state vaccine database to be implemented. 😁

I wonder why Carnival is required to send a list of passengers to the CDC.  Was this always the case?  If not, I wonder what CDC and other Feds are doing with that list, other than checking that 95% have been vaccinated?

On 7/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Oldsweets said:

We said enhanced ID just like we always did and what do you know when we presented passports thinks started unraveling.

Im confused, if you always input enhanced ID's why would you present Passports at check in and if you switch ID's why would you be surprised things start unravelling?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Im confused, if you always input enhanced ID's why would you present Passports at check in and if you switch ID's why would you be surprised things start unravelling?

I agree with this.  If you used enhanced id, you probably should have stuck with that when you got to the port.  If you brought your passports with you, you probably should have used them initially to checkin online.  Even though the names are the same, different info on both documents probably confused not only the computer, but the humans involved.  It was nice of you posting this, though, so others would sticks to whatever doc they used to checkin online when checking in at embark.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, ontheweb said:

Or sometimes more importantly .... If it's not fixable then don't break it.  😁

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This information is nice to know for customers cruising soon. I had a e-mail from the cruise line stating that the "immigration form" was incomplete. When I went to check at the web site it was my travel flights that had not been entered? Not sure why they used the term "immigration". At least I was able resolve the problem before our cruise. I now suspect boarding the ship will take longer than the normal time with the new system.   

This is real good info for checking in. I want it to go as smooth as possible. Just over 4 hours I get to check in for my first cruise and don’t want to screw it up. I’m driving home but my roommate is flying. Should she just put in driving to prevent problems?

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I wonder why Carnival is required to send a list of passengers to the CDC.  Was this always the case?  If not, I wonder what CDC and other Feds are doing with that list, other than checking that 95% have been vaccinated?

They're using it to correlate how well the 5g coverage is on the ship.

• Haha 2

With the old system you could simply mark drivers license as proof (not enhanced) and no additional info had to be provided vs passports which required all data.  At port you showed them your passports and easy peasy your all done. The new system simply doesn’t allow that which was my point.  Now that I know the rules we will indeed follow the newest procedures.  I should add that the procedures by carnival have been changed since first sailing for airlines as now you can enter your own flight details if the carnival loaded options don’t show your flight. Or at least for our Mardi Gras sailing on the 31st they allowed us.  I only provided an outline of our experience to hopefully help some not hit the roadblocks we created.   

Sounds like an absolute nightmare!

SO glad I have no intention of cruising again
until well into 2022, and even then.

SO MANY Things gotta get sorted, properly sorted

before I make my move and invest any $$$!

ship-happens.jpg