Scheduled Arrival Time...

Minorhawk

When I did my online boarding info, they gave me an arrival time of 4:30-5pm. Is that set in stone, or can we arrive earlier than that (Noon)? Will they turn us away and make us come back? We like getting on the ship early and get settled. Any info on this new process is appreciated.

Thanks!!

My advice, change the check in time to the earliest possible, if you're late it isn't like they'll deny you boarding.

As of right now, on the Edge in FLL there have been a few first hand accounts where non-suite guests say they were allowed to board hours earlier than their scheduled check in time.  This should go without saying (bad pun!), if you want to try this its a good idea to not mention your embarkment window to anyone at the terminal; I would imagine if one asks the question "can I board earlier than my embarkment window" they will most likely say "no".

There have been reports of some arriving early and having to wait outside the terminal.  Some have reported they were allowed in 45 mins ahead of their scheduled time.  I wouldn’t‘ recommend showing up 4 hours early.  Maybe a hour or so, but be prepared to wait .

I was on last weeks sailing.  The boarding time is enforced.  If you are there early you will need to wait outside until your boarding time OR from what I understand if there is a lull and they can process additional people they will ask for the next time slot. 

One of the disadvantages of booking so last minute, you get what's left.  Personally I'd probably shoot for an hour earlier and hope for the best.

• Like 1

I checked in for our 9/17/21 Equinox last week and 12:30-1:00 was what we selected and that time is shown on the Xpress Pass.  Hopefully this means we can board then...or do they send out a different time closer to departure?

2 choices:

1--Come w/in 30 min. of your check in time.

2--Come earlier--BUT BE PREPARED TO WAIT. IN THE HOT FL SUN.

I have heard there is a line for those w/ later times--as people arrive they ask their check in time. If it is their time they can go right in. Otherwise they are sent to the end of the line. (perhaps periodically asking the line "Does anyone now have the 1PM time?") Those in the line (in the hot sun NOT inside the terminal) MAY get ushered in if there is a lull in those arriving BUT NO PROMISES.

I am typically at the terminal at 9:30...nope, I will be arriving no more than an hour before my set time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboro said:

I checked in for our 9/17/21 Equinox last week and 12:30-1:00 was what we selected and that time is shown on the Xpress Pass.  Hopefully this means we can board then...or do they send out a different time closer to departure?

That's your assigned time it shouldn't change unless something has delayed the entire boarding process.

Why can't folks just abide by requests, assignments etc. when asked to do so?  Wanna get on board early and get all comfy cozy, more whining....such a shame.  

We are trying to get back to some semblance of order, including the cruise lines. I believe that will take a concerted effort by all and a lot of consideration by everyone for everyone. Unfortunately, inconveniences will have to be endured. For every unsolicited retort from inconsiderate passengers more unnecessary work is required. 

Do what you are asked to do. That is the easy way. Asking about changing ones boarding time is really quite embarrassing. Can you imagine if we all did?  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Greetings

There were 2 lines for the 03 July Edge cruise.  One short line where they checked your Express Pass and let you in that line if you were within your time window and a long line for everyone else.  The current time window line moved quickly then guests from the long line were let in if there was a lull in the current time window line.  If you get to the port really, really early you may be able to be one of the first in the non-time slot line but we arrived for our 12pm check-in time at around 11:15am and the other line was already very long.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Why can't folks just abide by requests, assignments etc. when asked to do so?  Wanna get on board early and get all comfy cozy, more whining....such a shame.  

Please make suggestions for what passengers who have early flights should do while waiting until late afternoon to check in. Also those who have to check out of hotels before noon. What do you propose that they should do in the intervening time, remembering that they have all their luggage.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Please make suggestions for what passengers who have early flights should do while waiting until late afternoon to check in. Also those who have to check out of hotels before noon. What do you propose that they should do in the intervening time, remembering that they have all their luggage.

Don't fly in the day of the cruise and get a late hotel check-out.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The airport has tons of seating and all kinds of restaurants and amenities.  Just purchase a day pass at any of the lounges and you can have a very nice day.  

If at a hotel, you don't need to be out of room until 11 am.  Just have the bell desk hold your bags and go do some sight seeing for a couple hours.  Or go sit by the pool.  Enjoy the hotel restaurant.  Checkout doesn't mean leave the property, it just means vacate the room.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Minorhawk said:

When I did my online boarding info, they gave me an arrival time of 4:30-5pm. Is that set in stone, or can we arrive earlier than that (Noon)? Will they turn us away and make us come back? We like getting on the ship early and get settled. Any info on this new process is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Perhaps if you bothered to check in earlier than you did you would have got an earlier slot. You are effectively trying to queue jump on others who did the right thing!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

The airport has tons of seating and all kinds of restaurants and amenities.  Just purchase a day pass at any of the lounges and you can have a very nice day.  

If at a hotel, you don't need to be out of room until 11 am.  Just have the bell desk hold your bags and go do some sight seeing for a couple hours.  Or go sit by the pool.  Enjoy the hotel restaurant.  Checkout doesn't mean leave the property, it just means vacate the room.

I am not sure how it would work to get a day pass at an airport lounge.    They are airside.  You would have to retrieve your luggage and then pass through security to get to the lounge, which you can’t do without a boarding pass.  Or is there a way to access them without showing a boarding pass?

8 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Perhaps if you bothered to check in earlier than you did you would have got an earlier slot. You are effectively trying to queue jump on others who did the right thing!

Wow, that was pretty harsh. He just booked this sailing last night for this weekend, so he didn't have any other check-in options. Pre-COVID, many lines didn't care about boarding times and didn't enforce them. I think he is asking a perfectly reasonable question. He isn't suggesting he WILL line-jump. He is simply asking if boarding times are being enforced post-COVID where they never were before.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

I am not sure how it would work to get a day pass at an airport lounge.    They are airside.  You would have to retrieve your luggage and then pass through security to get to the lounge, which you can’t do without a boarding pass.  Or is there a way to access them without showing a boarding pass?

This is true if checking bags.  I make do with just a carry-on  and backpack.  Didn't think about that.  I swear people way over pack.

19 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Shhhh  don't tell everyone our secret.😉

7 minutes ago, D C said:

What happens if someone lollygags in getting to the terminal and shows up 2 hours AFTER their assigned time?  

They wait in the long line.  Why should they slow down the process for people that are arriving at the scheduled time?

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

They wait in the long line.  Why should they slow down the process for people that are arriving at the scheduled time?

Are they actually routed to the "stand-by" line?

If they are, which makes sense, then showing up early shouldn't matter much.  If the goal is to have a constant throughput within the terminal, then for every person who is late and sent to the stand-by line, their earlier open spot is available for someone to be pulled from the stand-by line.  Smooth flow actually RELIES on some people showing up early to take the place of anyone who is late.

Seems like those with a preference to board early would be incentivised to arrive quite early and simply wait in the stand-by line, rather than wait elsewhere.   Especially true for early-risers who arrived by air the night before and took a shuttle to a nearby hotel.  No car.  Nothing exciting to do in the hotel.  Might as well head for the stand-by line. 

40 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

The airport has tons of seating and all kinds of restaurants and amenities.  

Not Fort Lauderdale airport (Delta terminal).  Minimal seating and only one food vendor accessible once you have gotten your luggage, as I recall it’s a Starbucks near baggage claim

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

This is true if checking bags.  I make do with just a carry-on  and backpack.  Didn't think about that.  I swear people way over pack.

Some budget airlines charge MORE for carry-on than checked bags. That drives people towards checking. It does speed-up the boarding process and lets you carry more in your bag, but the downside is waiting in luggage pickup.