No vaccine mixing allowed in US… I hope this changes very very quickly 😱

MR_T

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Absolutely.  As a point of reference Canada just announced that they will open their border to US travelers for non-essential travel beginning in August.  The announcement indicated that fully vaccinated US travelers can enter Canada if they were fully vaccinated with vaccines approved by the Canadian government.  If Canada won't accept people based on US rules, why would people think that the US should consider vaccination requirements established by any other country?

What vaccine that is approved in the US is the Canadian government not allowing ? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

What vaccine that is approved in the US is the Canadian government not allowing ? 

None that I know about.  But the point is that Canada is making the decision about what is acceptable is in Canada.  That's the way it should be.  Similarly, the US should make decision about what is acceptable in the US and that doesn't include AZ or mixed vaccines.  So it should be expected that 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna or 1 shot of J&J are the only acceptable options in the US.  I don't know why anyone would expect anything different.  

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

None that I know about.  But the point is that Canada is making the decision about what is acceptable is in Canada.  That's the way it should be.  Similarly, the US should make decision about what is acceptable in the US and that doesn't include AZ or mixed vaccines.  So it should be expected that 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna or 1 shot of J&J are the only acceptable options in the US.  I don't know why anyone would expect anything different.  

And those in the AstraZeneca trials conducted in the US are considered fully vaccinated.

hey changed wording ..what ever this means..What vaccines are accepted? Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements.

10 minutes ago, leafsnation said:

hey changed wording ..what ever this means..What vaccines are accepted? Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements.

Great. Would you please post the link where you read this. Thanks!

38 minutes ago, leafsnation said:

The mixing language is still there in FAQs:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/faqs

CDAA9E4E-8EF6-4D7D-903B-DB089503A2C8.jpeg

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

24 minutes ago, leafsnation said:

I just found the "no mixed doses" statement on the "US" Celebrity's Healthy at Sea Frequently Asked Questions  website.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

But I did notice what you posted was the exact verbiage I saw today on the Facebook Royal Caribbean Blog page referencing RCCL's new policy as of July 19 superseding their "no mixed vaccines" policy posted July 17. Not quite sure, though, how that RCCL statement as well as the one you posted deals with the "mixed manufacturers" issue.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But at least the "No, at this time, we do not accept mixed doses ..." statement was removed today from the US Celebrity site. That's hopefully good news anyway

But it is still on the Canadian Celebrity site.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

But it is still on the Canadian Celebrity site.

Sorry, I just updated my post as I finally found it on the US Celebrity site.

I just found the "no mixed doses" statement on the US Celebrity's Healthy at Sea Frequently Asked Questions  website as well.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do you know USA government loaned AZ to Canada and Mexico to use 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-idUSKBN2BA22S

• Like 2

Quick, minimally technical thoughts to avoid the red banner!

For my Canadian friends. Some of whom were directly involved with Health Canada over the years.

In the US, it would be very difficult for a US public health agency to recommend mixed vaccines administered in the US to US residents as the three vaccines are under independent Emergency Use Authorizations. When there were early shortages, the CDC did suggest considering following up Pfizer with Moderna or vice versa, but that would have definitely been off label. And no one was anticipating, right or wrong, some form of verification of vaccination being required for international travel.

The WHO clarification linked above seems to basically be saying they'll support the regulatory authority of a member state's (Canada is one) decision to allow mixed vaccines. Which isn't surprising as the WHO is essentially a consensus organization, and WHO authorization is really most important to those member states who generally don't have the funding for good regulatory agencies, and follow the WHO. So, yeah, Health Canada does have input for Canadian citizens. I'd make a bad joke about apologizing, but it would be a bad joke...😃

Yes, I know I commented earlier that this wasn't surprising, but I was really thinking in terms of the vaccines use in the US. I honestly can't think of another human vaccine that's had the crossover between disease prevention and international travel. And most of these vaccines require multiple doses. Yellow fever is a one and done. MMR is two, but I think any MMR is treated as an MMR. The situation that's come up with these vaccines is probably most similar to international travel of non-human mammals (dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc.). There are well established processes for that, and they can be pretty onerous. But not so much for movement of people.

Please take a few deep breaths. If you're Canadian, by all means contact your MPs. 

And I'm out. Anything else really gets too close to the red banner, and I respect CC's decision.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Do you know USA government loaned AZ to Canada and Mexico to use 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-idUSKBN2BA22S

The CDC is acknowledging those vaccinated with AstraZeneca in the US trials from an approved manufacturing site.  Australia is having issues:

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/4306cec0-5d9c-403b-8357-efaf315622c2

3 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Reading some of these post and others, I notice an anti-Canadian sentiment, which is very sad.

The US and Canada used to be the friendliest neighbours in the world

NATO hospital Kabul. We're good for that alone. For the rest of my life. The bulk of 30 years in a US uniform. We'll be good.

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You're correct.  It's a shame that Canada did not help to resume cruising in Alaska.

FFS PUT IT TO REST WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LAWS YOU W ANCHOR.

It's a shame that trolls like you give so many pleasant and cleaver Americans a bad image.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You're correct.  It's a shame that Canada did not help to resume cruising in Alaska.

And its posts like this that probably gave cantstopcruising the impression of anti Canadian sentiment.

You're absolutely right IPITP. Canada, after consulting the epidemiologists and other disease experts trying to put a lid on the pandemic, and the  Global Affairs Ministry, among others,  banned cruise ships in our ports this year solely to piss you off.

Except for one tiny thing- there ARE ships cruising to Alaska. So what are you b....ing about?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Reading some of these post and others, I notice an anti-Canadian sentiment, which is very sad.

The US and Canada used to be the friendliest neighbours in the world

Most still are.  There are a few idiots everywhere .  Am looking at Vancouver from my summer home.  Looking forward to visiting on August 9th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

Why not just get a J&J vaccine and present that paperwork?

Well, if one has already received two mixed doses that’s no option.

Can‘t just say: I am going on a cruise and therefore want a third… besides the problem that a third shot is not approved yet.

• Like 1

This blog has been very good at getting the message out to people on cruisecritic of the issue around mixed doses. 

There has been a lot of articles around mixing doses today, one of which referenced a blogger from cruisecritic.  CTV news in Canada has picked it up.  The Toronto Star has an article. For those in Toronto, it was on cp24 this morning.  This is all good as it is putting a spotlight on the issue. 

The only thing we can do is put pressure on our elected officials and the TA/Cruiselines to work on getting the appropriate approvals and ignore the negative comments of why this can not happen.   I would encourage you to contact your leaders and let them know this is an issue.  I do believe something will happen if we keep the attention on this.  At the end of the day, the cruiselines want as many customers as possible, so they have a vested interest in allowing us to cruise.  

If we do not say another, nothing will change.

• Like 2

CC users are worried about a very complex issue (mixed doses) and the cruising rules  around this issue.  This is a good thread discussing this.  There is no need IMO to sidetrack it with accusations and political sentiments US vs Canada or other unproductive discussions.  What is the point?  Just causes resentment and does not add clarity.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1