Upgrade

dsvrn

We were notified today of an upgrade on our February 18, 2022 Enchanted Caribbean cruise. We went from inside M424 to E 526 obstructed balcony. Gives me hope to cruise again  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Aruba<3 said:

Congratulations!  I also got an upgrade notification, but I’m not sure what the difference is. One deck up and more forward.  Was a BD now BB?

Difference is a move to what Princess considers a better location.

You may or may not agree.

Some times the move to a "better location" can mean moving from a balcony cabin to a cabin with a smaller balcony or moving from an obstructed OV to a smaller cabin that is an unobstructed OV.

It might also mean a move from a cabin mid-ship to one far forward or aft where motion of the ocean is felt more. Or it could be a move from a cabin that had other cabins below and above it to a cabin just under the pool or buffet area which could mean a lot of noise from above.

Or it could actually be a move to a better cabin in your opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Difference is a move to what Princess considers a better location.

Which is why we always "tick" the no upgrade box (figuratively speaking). 

Having taken time and trouble to select the cabin we want, I don't want to be moved elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aruba<3 said:

Congratulations!  I also got an upgrade notification, but I’m not sure what the difference is. One deck up and more forward.  Was a BD now BB?

Depends on the ship and the cabin number. Many upgrades = better location. Some upgrades may not provide what you think is a better cabin. Examples, new cabin could be a connecting cabin while original cabin was not, new cabin may have a smaller balcony than the original cabin. Interiors and amenities for BD and BB will be the same. 

• Thanks 1

I was excited to see an upgrade email till I wasn’t. Regal Princess aloha deck deluxe balcony to deluxe balcony emerald deck.  Seems like a downgrade, above promenade…..  not sure on this one don’t really feel like the eternal hold by calling. Might just wait it out till closer to final payment, if nothing changes call for a different cabin or just cancel. Not 100% invested and who knows what could happen in the next 60 days.  

7 hours ago, FLCruZar said:

I was excited to see an upgrade email till I wasn’t. Regal Princess aloha deck deluxe balcony to deluxe balcony emerald deck.  Seems like a downgrade, above promenade…..  not sure on this one don’t really feel like the eternal hold by calling. Might just wait it out till closer to final payment, if nothing changes call for a different cabin or just cancel. Not 100% invested and who knows what could happen in the next 60 days.  

You should be fine. I would check the deck plans for connecting cabins. E224, E225, E712, plus these which I don't think will be your cabin, E518, E520, E521, E519. For future reference Princess treats cabin selections as upgradable, unless you specifically request no upgrade. 

Aloha and FLCruZar,  maybe you could post the cabin numbers and the ship....

The cabin might not seem to be better...  different deck etc....

But, it is an upgrade in category.

The thing is, I believe that once you have the new category, you can move to a another cabin that is the exact same category.  And, sometimes this can make a difference.

Perhaps less obstructed... closer to mid-ship, a Non-Adjoining cabin if needed.

Those Emerald 500 numbers are obstructed, so this new cabin would not be one of those.  I am guessing this upgrade went from forward on Aloha to mid-forward on Emerald.   Being more centrally (mid-ship) would be considered better, and perhaps an upgrade???  

On the cruise we are looking at on the Regal I think that a Forward midi-deck Balcony Deluxe is just a few bucks less than a mid-forward Emerald Balcony Deluxe.  About the same price.

The original poster here said she went from an inside, on a high deck. (perhaps more motion), to an obstructed balcony on Emerald.  A view and light and fresh air on a lower deck is better than no view or light or fresh air at all !  And, looks like this is a non-adjoining cabin.

The thing is, for this original poster, looks like ALL obstructed balconies are now booked up,  as some have thought that Princess is upgrading as many interior cabins as possible (as a COVID protocol???).  So, there is no opportunity to change to a lessor obstructed cabin.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 7/31/2021 at 6:48 AM, skynight said:

Depends on the ship and the cabin number. Many upgrades = better location. Some upgrades may not provide what you think is a better cabin. Examples, new cabin could be a connecting cabin while original cabin was not, new cabin may have a smaller balcony than the original cabin. Interiors and amenities for BD and BB will be the same. 

Totally Agree!!  Always check where the upgrade is located.  We were upgraded one time to an Aft balcony, which we were thrilled with.  UNTIL we found that there was an outside door right next to us that led to the pool and Lido area.  That metal door slammed 24 hours a day and it was LOUD!  We complained, but had no options at that point.  Bummer!

I did get in contact with Princess on the “upgrade”.  It was either emerald deck or just below pool deck.  I do not recall the cabin grade code, but same category deluxe balcony.  I was able to get my original cabin reinstated.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FLCruZar said:

I did get in contact with Princess on the “upgrade”.  It was either emerald deck or just below pool deck.  I do not recall the cabin grade code, but same category deluxe balcony.  I was able to get my original cabin reinstated.  

You were lucky, as normally you are not allowed to refuse an upgrade (quite rightly so in my opinion). 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:51 PM, skynight said:

You should be fine. I would check the deck plans for connecting cabins. E224, E225, E712, plus these which I don't think will be your cabin, E518, E520, E521, E519. For future reference Princess treats cabin selections as upgradable, unless you specifically request no upgrade. 

And Princess treats your "request" as a suggestion.

The whole upgrade...thingie.... is inferring you are getting something better at the same price...

And as long as the people are happy that is great...   don't look a gift horse in the mouth....

But if you have second thoughts   maybe it is not worth it and better to pick No Upgrades

We are very particular about the Cabin we pick, so have always pick No Upgrades......

For some the upgrade trip is great and others not so... luck of the draw...

Happy Cruising    Don

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The whole upgrade...thingie.... is inferring you are getting something better at the same price...

And as long as the people are happy that is great...   don't look a gift horse in the mouth....

But if you have second thoughts   maybe it is not worth it and better to pick No Upgrades

We are very particular about the Cabin we pick, so have always pick No Upgrades......

For some the upgrade trip is great and others not so... luck of the draw...

Happy Cruising    Don

Yes, people see the word "upgrade" and immediately think of aircraft upgrades,  where you magically go from the back of the aircraft to a nice club seat. 

Yes, you can be moved from an inside to a balcony,  but you could be moved from a nice quiet cabin aft, to a noisy cabin midships. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Upgraded from B619 to B331. Negligible change IMHO. Asked if a BB was available on Dolphin or Caribe but not available. However, she did note it in the file. Stated I did not want to go any higher than the Baja deck

We had told our TA we would accept an upgrade.  Just happened to check online today and saw we had been upgraded from CAT 0Z to CAT OW.  Neither the TA or we were notified. Lido deck down to Emerald.  At this point I am happy with it, will be even happier if the ship actually sails.  Cruise is in April of 2022.